Lexus IS Forum banner

NA-T at higher mileage?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  FRaCTioNaL 
#1 ·
I'm debating on whether or not I want to turbo the GE or GTE swap.. the car currently has 185k miles on it and runs fine *knock on wood*. Since I've got it almost a year ago I've changed almost all fluids and put on coilovers and an exhaust. I know I'm supposed to do a compression test but I just want to make sure the car will last still. I'm only aiming for low 400s/high 300hp mark since it's my only car as of now. I don't want anything to start breaking down quick. Plus I'm going into college soon and I don't have an unlimited budget like some people do so keep that in mind please. Any opinions help!

#2 ·
My recommendation is to ALWAYS have a beater when you have a project car or a car that takes on projects in general.

I've had a lot of luck running turbo engines with 200k+ miles, but they were relatively tame. I wouldn't consider 400ish HP tamed. At least not coming from a GE. Just save and spend 5K at once for a proper na-t build instead of piecing it little by little and you have issues all over the place.

Turbos can be reliable, but only if you spend the time and money doing it right the first time. I've driven my old 1jz cross country and only had one issue which was a bad alternator wire. ONE...thats with a single and 272 bc cams + supporting mods.

On the other hand when I was a dumb 18 year old I had a 92' Supra Turbo with 230k miles. It drove beautifully until i started modding it more and not doing things right the first time. Mark my words, you will have issues if you do not spend your resources correctly the first time. It'll give you a lot of problems and then you'll be losing money left and right, you'll realize you could've had something better by now and then you sell all your shit and a project car. I bet you 75% of projects end up that way for people your age. Best of luck and enjoy learning from the experience!

#3 ·
I agree with str8_6. having a second 500-1000$ beater is a must in my eyes when things go wrong and you need to go somewhere to get a dumb 12point socket to continue on with your car it sucks not having any means of transportation... been there done it and it sucks

also plan for the future too, you want more out of the car in the next year so lets say for example you get a clutch to handle 350 for now but plan on making 550 the next year well now you not only have to get another clutch setup, tear down the car to get to it but you also have money invested in this old but still new clutch and trying to sell it to recoup most of what you spent on it is hard. this was just an example.

In my eyes try and save up for now, when you see people sell parts at a good price snatch them up and start collecting.

#5 ·
Let's start by asking; why 500? Is it an internet figure or have you actually had cars with 300+ horsepower?

For everyday driving to be fun 300hp is more than enough. If you actually like to drag race (not watching and attending and thinking it is cool but actually racing) then the sky is the limit in terms of the number you want. A GTE swap is not a plug and play proposition. Having said that, I have driven my STOCK gte for the better part of 5 years and it keeps being a fun daily to this day. 280 at the crank is what it's supposed to be making.

At 500hp you will need engine management (and a good tuner/tune) and upgraded fuel as well.

#6 ·
500 who, just so you can say you make over 500whp of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.