User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Question IS250 AWD Exhaust Questions

I'm trying to figure out what I can put on as an exhaust for this car.

I keep seeing such conflicting information!

Here's a link to the product page for the megan racing header:
Megan Racing
it says: "WILL NOT FIT THE AWD/4WD IS250"

However, the full cat back exhaust does not mention this:
Megan Racing

Also these generic headers say that they dont fit:
Lexus 06-08 IS250 IS 250 Stainless Steel Exhaust Header : eBay Motors (item 230435938229 end time Mar-12-10 17:58:49 PST)

This leads me to believe that aftermarket headers DO NOT work on the IS250AWD, although full cat-back exhaust system DO WORK.

Now, other sources say that headers work, but mid-pipes do not:
^ a video is more convincing. This video shows that the Mazzuri headers fit, but the comments suggest that an aftermarket mid-pipe will not. This information seems to some what fit with what this says: 06 07 08 09 LEXUS IS250 V6 CATBACK EXHAUST SYSTEM 6 PCS : eBay Motors (item 290398175053 end time Mar-03-10 18:15:00 PST)
"Will not fit IS350 or AWD Models" - the fact that it doesnt fit the IS350 is surprising though.. i thought the IS250/350 had the same cat-back exhaust?

So my question is:
What are the limitations for the IS250 AWD exhaust options?

2002 Porsche 911 Carrera | Fabspeed Exhaust | K&N FIPK Intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Most systems that say 'cat back" really mean Axle-back... and they'll fit any ISx50, because it's just the mufflers, tips, and Y-pipe basically... not all though.

Far as I know there's no midpipes that fit AWD.

Mazzuris headers (which haven't been made in quite some time and only a few dozen sets were ever made for the ISx50) do NOT fit AWD.

He custom made one or two pairs for AWD cars, but the gains weren't terrific if I recall. The reason he had to custom make them was the RWD ones don't fit AWD cars. That video is of one of the custom sets he made for AWD.

AFAIK anything that physically fits a RWD 250 will physically fit a RWD 350 (and vice versa) though in the case of headers you might get poor performance out of it since the pipe sizes won't be meant for that displacement motor.

So to sum up, buy a nice used Tanabe for $400ish and call it a day... or if you want louder get an HKS or something.

It's a 250 AWD, it's gonna be dog slow no matter what you put on it, so buy an axle-back with the sound you prefer if you want to do exhaust mods, you're not getting much beyond sound out of it anyway.

If you're just DYING for a midpipe you might try and check in with the guy who posted this thread though-
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...e-project.html

Last edited by Knightshade; 02-23-2010 at 02:13 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Question

so are the OEM part numbers different on the IS350/250RWD headers & mid-pipe vs the IS250AWD? I'd love to run this header on my IS250AWD since it looks like it has an HFC: Stainless Steel Header Lexus IS250 06 07 08 2007 2.5 V6 : eBay Motors (item 280456747548 end time Feb-24-10 17:50:16 PST)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by split View Post
so are the OEM part numbers different on the IS350/250RWD headers & mid-pipe vs the IS250AWD? I'd love to run this header on my IS250AWD since it looks like it has an HFC: Stainless Steel Header Lexus IS250 06 07 08 2007 2.5 V6 : eBay Motors (item 280456747548 end time Feb-24-10 17:50:16 PST)
Dunno the part #s off-hand...but that ad explicitly says it doesn't fit AWD.

IIRC it's the front cross-member that causes the RWD headers to not fit AWD cars... you can probably check with the guy who has the custom mazzuri AWD headers for more details though (He's Gaugster on Club Lexus, dunno if he's on here)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Question

i have access to a free IS-F oem factory exhaust from a relative that has no use for it. I'm going to try fitting that to it as soon as the snow melts up here. I'm hoping at least the rear section works.. If it does, i should be able to just put some nice tips on it and use that hopefully.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Extremist

Quote:
i have access to a free IS-F oem factory exhaust from a relative that has no use for it. I'm going to try fitting that to it as soon as the snow melts up here. I'm hoping at least the rear section works.. If it does, i should be able to just put some nice tips on it and use that hopefully.
The IS-F exhaust doesn't fit the ISx50, several threads on this already.... I suppose you might can hack it up and frankenstein some parts on your car though.

However, I seriously doubt an exhaust designed for a 5.0 L V8 would produce very desirable results bolted to a 2.5L V6.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Important

i'm going to jack the car up and take a look. if it doesnt fit, i'll just get the medalion touring. the IS-F exhaust isnt anymore "designed for a 5.0L" than the medalion touring is.. they're both roughly the same diameter etc.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Fiend

Quote:
i'm going to jack the car up and take a look. if it doesnt fit, i'll just get the medalion touring. the IS-F exhaust isnt anymore "designed for a 5.0L" than the medalion touring is.. they're both roughly the same diameter etc.
Sorry I'm late on this one. That's my YouTube Vid' and as KS informed, it was a custom job by Mazzuri. Just lucky I guess.

You could look into having a 2WD mid-pipe modified to bolt up to the AWD. The difference is the drivers side exhaust manifold/CAT are is a different position because of the front drive shaft.

It"should" be a simple job for an exhaust shop to cut, extend and re-weld the flange to fit. It might not look that pretty however.

I would start with an axle back exhaust like the Tanabe and then look into the mid-pipe more if it still is interesting to you.

John
2007 IS250 AWD Black/Sterling, LUX, ML, NAV, AFS, PCS
NAVI-KIT R-Spec TTN-46, JoeZ Intake, Mazzuri Super Headers w/ceramic coating, Tanabe MT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr9FokzQUHY
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Important

i think i'm going to go with a fujitsubo exhaust.. they sound the best!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 01:57 PM

Direct replacement mid pipes (2) are available from Davico Mfg., Neew Bedford, Ma.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Frequenter

Any axleback for all years 2006-2013 will fit. Midpipes (or catbacks) will not.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 05:19 PM

PPE makes a header for the AWDIS250. Very good quality also, Check em out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page