FAQ: Joe Z D-AFI Intake Development for 2006+ IS - Final DYNO's & Final Product Pics! - Page 5 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasgalloway
Oops, to clarify, what the salesman meant is that, if you had left it in 4th, it would shift out of 1st without you. If you didn't want it to shift out of first into 2nd until you told it to, you would have had to use the paddles to select 1st on the selector. Unfortunately, that only works for upshifting, and doesn't keep it from downshifting as it sees fit (unless we find the other mode)

Thank You. That clarifies things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Frequenter

I figure I should post something considering I am the one who tested the JoeZ intake on my IS350.

The most notable difference for me is the change in sound. The IS is a pretty quiet car (with the hood down and sitting inside the interior chamber), but you do notice a throatier sound at higher RPMs with the JoeZ Intake. By higher RPMs, i mean over 4k, but I really noticed the sounds around 4400.

I wasn't used to how fast the IS350 was stock, and installed the intake with only around 1600 miles on it. At the time of testing, I had around 1900 miles on the car. I did notice one thing, when i hit the VVTi on the highways, it does seem to pull harder with the intake than without. I noticed this on the drive home from SP engineering that day. Hopeful we can do another dyno sometime in the near future and get a more accurate reading becaues the numbers do not justify the difference. Who knows though, it could be a placebo thing

One benefit of the JoeZ intake is the ease of installation and the design. It took maybe all of 10 minutes to install.

dsgalloway -- i'd like to help you with your tranny hack search. any hacks for my car are always fun to learn =) PM me and let me know if I can assist with anything.

Hope this information may help some of you. +REP WOULD BE NICE

ISabelle (car name) - Black 2006 IS350 Sports Package + Navi (HACKED) + Mark Levinson Sound
Red Out on Tail light, 3M Clear Bra on full front done by Aerotect, 35% Tint All Around
Joe Z Intake, Tanabe NF210 Springs
Volk LE37T Glossy Black Limited Edition
19x8.5 +35 offset Front, 19x9.5 +43 offset Back
post #63 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Follower

Just came across this thread and I must say it is not surprisingly familiar. The dyno chart looks 99% accurate to mine with the exception of the chart aspect ratio. I would say that this Joez intake is making the exact same kind of power (Little) as the LMS intake did for me. Both intakes seem to make 1-2more hp until about 6200 where they both lose power over stock. Is it worth it!? That is up to personal preferences. My preference was that it wasn't worth it. I think my money will be going towards a lighter and more power producing exhaust and maybe a SAFC controller in the future so the car can be tuned for 93 octane or who knows, maybe a chip will be released in the future that will allow us to benefit from higher octane. Also a K&N drop in isn't out of the question either.

**PS. +1 for a great thread and hearing that other people are trying to make an already good intake even better. It's not easy, but not impossible. I do know for a fact that this car needs cold air!

08 IS-F Ultrasonic Blue 11.91@120.58mph
06 IS350 (Sold) 12.84@109.20mph

Last edited by caymandiver75; 03-27-2006 at 08:17 AM.

post #64 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Manufacturer of Pipes

Hey James....

Keep in mind I had a few factors that I feel did not give the best possible read out on the dyno, of the IS350...

I am actually going back for more testing next week..

This time the IS350 would have been driven stock for a few weeks...

My last test... my Intake was on for about a week.. and was taken off right before the base dyno run and then re-installed after the base dyno runs.. (as stated in my dyno post)
It was not intentional, but just the way things went.. Since we were tesing the intake in real world environement in that same time period.

I expect the base runs to be a few ponies lower then the last base runs.... and then hopefully will see how much it gains just by swaping the intake pipes... we just have to see..!!

***Of course NO ECU's will be reset and NO FANS will be moved around or position changed ***

Also, I really didn't see a rwhp drop after 6200 rpms... we dyno'd up to 4th gear. Remember the car starts to bog down as soon as you reach the rev limiter..

The intake gains were very, very good on the IS250!!
First batch of intakes will be ready end of this week...

I too am also waiting to see which drop in filter comes out first... This combined with the "Joe Z Intake" will truly give optimized performance at a stock apperance...

Thanks for your input!!!

Joe Z

2008 Smoky Granite Mica IS-F w/ ML ~ NAV ~ Black Leather
PTS Exhaust, designed by Joe Z ~ TRD Shift knob ~ Protected by Aerotect
Five Axis Design R5:F Wheels on Continental Extreme DW

Joe Z Intake <- Designed by an Enthusiast for Enthusiasts

01' GGP ~ #131 Born 5/00 ~ Lost 4/07
ALL MY MODS are For Sale here: Joe Zís Super Garage Sale

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-27-2006 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typos
post #65 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Not Officially Back

Joe.. see if you can't find a scantool that reads ST/LT trims, I bet the dyno shop has one you might be able to borrow. call my cell with any questions.

I've got a message sent up to the Lexus university trainer who showed me how to get into the other tranny mode to see if it made it into the production cars. Will advise what I hear back.

Toyomoto Supercharged '03 TCM E-Shift IS300
404 rwhp/325rwtq 18.5 psi pump gas

*NEW* ISX50 Parts Catalog | IS300 BPU Parts Catalog

Rep... it's not just for the Parking Lot
post #66 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Follower

Just curious, but what is the thought behind this type of intake? If just replacing the pipe can net gains I am all for it! I'm sure it wouldn't be as loud as the other brands out there as well, which is a huge plus in my book. I'm just trying to figure out how a metal pipe that replaces the factory rubber piece can net any gains. I can't image a larger diameter pipe contributing to any increase in power. The only thing I can think of is air flow characteristics. I'm very interested in learning more about this and heck I'd even volunteer to be a guinea pig for this. I would drive my car at least 500 miles with the new intake pipe on without resetting the ECU and the fan placement will be the same as it was on my baseline. If you are interested in another party to test out your product, let me know. I like honesty and I like to see parts made for cars that actually work as advertised. I'm not affiliated with any aftermarket company so I am completely unbiased. I love cars and this is just a fun hobby for me to tinker around with.

PS.. on the stock intake there is the main air filter, then another filter in the intake lid. Whats the purpose of that thing? It's like the stock air box is getting double filtration!

post #67 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Not Officially Back

The surmise is that by smoothing out the intake pipe (removing accordian folds, resonators, holes, etc...) you get more power. Works on the IS300 just by replacing this pipe.

I'm still wondering whats going on with the 350's thats making the dyno results untrustable and unrepeatable. We need to get someone with real test equipment on one of these things and see what the heck is going on.

Toyomoto Supercharged '03 TCM E-Shift IS300
404 rwhp/325rwtq 18.5 psi pump gas

*NEW* ISX50 Parts Catalog | IS300 BPU Parts Catalog

Rep... it's not just for the Parking Lot
post #68 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasgalloway
Everything in the official lexus documentation (owners manual, release notes to dealers, etc) says it's alwasy 1-x gear, where x is the gear you selected, and that it will always intelligently downshift.

I know for a fact this wasn't the case on the pre release test cars we drove... there was an option in the "satellite switch" used to control the multi info display that allowed you to switch between AT modes. I remember I made a big deal of this at the press event... lemme see if I can get in touch with the guy from Lexus University who showed us how to do it.
+1 for you man if you can get more information on that!

post #69 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Threadlocker

Quote:
PS.. on the stock intake there is the main air filter, then another filter in the intake lid. Whats the purpose of that thing? It's like the stock air box is getting double filtration!
interesting, i'd like to see a pic of that.

from my experience, most factory stock intake pipes also include a resonation chamber to help quiet things down. perhaps replacing that with a simple straight pipe helps the air flow in better?
post #70 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

"I did notice one thing, when i hit the VVTi on the highways, it does seem to pull harder with the intake than without."

So the New IS has dual cam profiles?
post #71 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv_usc

from my experience, most factory stock intake pipes also include a resonation chamber to help quiet things down. perhaps replacing that with a simple straight pipe helps the air flow in better?
Actually the resonator does more than just quiet the intake down. I read an article once that pointed out the difference between filling a cylinder with air and just straight out flow. The resonator actually helped fill the engine with more air since it is a cyclic event - not a continuous flow as such. The resonator acted as an extra reserve of air to fill the cylinder with more air. Only applies to naturally aspirated engines like ours and not FI cars.

post #72 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Manufacturer of Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv_usc

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymandiver75
I just so happen to have an IS350 intake on my lap right now...

Here is a few pics of it...

Seems like it would slow down the air flow......

As I was trying to examine the material, I accidentally tore a section on the edge...
There is a part number for this piece...
Both sides seem to have a plastic mesh and the inner material is a thicker fiber... This section sits on the top side of the air filter..

My opinion is that is prevents ZERO dirt or dust or sand to get into the air intake system..

I wonder if removing it will help ???

Joe Z

2008 Smoky Granite Mica IS-F w/ ML ~ NAV ~ Black Leather
PTS Exhaust, designed by Joe Z ~ TRD Shift knob ~ Protected by Aerotect
Five Axis Design R5:F Wheels on Continental Extreme DW

Joe Z Intake <- Designed by an Enthusiast for Enthusiasts

01' GGP ~ #131 Born 5/00 ~ Lost 4/07
ALL MY MODS are For Sale here: Joe Zís Super Garage Sale
post #73 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 04:13 AM
Follower

Maybe this is the secret to Lexus longevity compared to other cars! haha A super super clean engine that has never seen a piece of dirt. hehe

post #74 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymandiver75
Actually the resonator does more than just quiet the intake down. I read an article once that pointed out the difference between filling a cylinder with air and just straight out flow. The resonator actually helped fill the engine with more air since it is a cyclic event - not a continuous flow as such. The resonator acted as an extra reserve of air to fill the cylinder with more air. Only applies to naturally aspirated engines like ours and not FI cars.
The downside to the resonator is that it has a fixed quantity of air that it stores/cycles, it is more effective within a certain tuned range of operation that I'll call "normal" driving(torquey). Once you exceed that range as in WOT the straight pipe should show advantage. The engineers at Lexus spend allot of time tuning the intake systems on their cars to give either the quietest operation LS, or best performance IS, but it's still a compromise in the end.

'06 Tungsten Pearl IS350,...with battle wounds and scars,...almost new.
post #75 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubfoot
The downside to the resonator is that it has a fixed quantity of air that it stores/cycles, it is more effective within a certain tuned range of operation that I'll call "normal" driving(torquey). Once you exceed that range as in WOT the straight pipe should show advantage. The engineers at Lexus spend allot of time tuning the intake systems on their cars to give either the quietest operation LS, or best performance IS, but it's still a compromise in the end.
Yeah I won't disagree with that, but I did find it odd that with my OLD LMS intake I was making less power with their straight pipe and open ended air filter, even with a seperate fan blowing on it. Where you would expect that kind of intake to make power is in the higher rpms and it just didn't. Just an idea, but how about an intake like JOEZ is working on, but also incorporate the factory resonator! I would think that would give us the best overall gain along with a future K&N drop in filter.

1. Keeps the car from ingesting warm engine air
2. Still quiet like stock
3. Maximize airflow by removing the accordian type ripples in the stock intake piping.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page