FAQ: Joe Z D-AFI Intake Development for 2006+ IS - Final DYNO's & Final Product Pics! - Page 4 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 07:36 AM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasgalloway
Guys- You can only trust a dyno when you're @ 100% throttle. Usually, with a manual car like the 250 here, you put it in gear, start @ 2000 RPM, floor it to 100% throttle, and do the dyno til redline.

An auto like the 350 is a bit more tricky. In an auto, if you go 100% throttle, it'll downshift to the lowest available gear and go from there. If you start @ 2000 RPM in 4th gear and floor it, it'll actually downshift into 3rd or 2nd, the RPMs will jump up to 5000 or so until it runs out of revs and shifts to the next gear.

The trick on an auto is to ease into the throttle, never going to 100% until after the downshift point... thats the point where, even if you go all in, if won't downshift, so you can get a good dyno reading @ 100% throttle.

On the IS300 this "point of no downshift" is around 4200 RPMs... thats why you'll never really see dyno's below 4000 on an automatic. Usually I edit out anything lower to eliminate confusion (so I don't have to type out posts like this one ). On the 350, the max RPM is higher and it's got one more gear, so I imagine that point might be even higher (around the 5000 you see on the dyno)

Now Joe, on the 350, I believe there is a tranny mode that won't force a downshift... like the eshift mode we've always wanted on the 300. Lemme call up my dealer and see if I can confirm that. If so, thats what we should dyno the 350's in so we can see below 5000 rpms.
Das knows everything! +Rep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Now Joe, on the 350, I believe there is a tranny mode that won't force a downshift... like the eshift mode we've always wanted on the 300. Lemme call up my dealer and see if I can confirm that. If so, thats what we should dyno the 350's in so we can see below 5000 rpms.

I'd be very interested to hear if this is possible. I think in all regards this is a good AT tranny(especially the gearing) but being able to select a higher gear and get into the throttle is something I'll miss whenever my IS Sport arrives. Not to mention it's going to make it impossible to see what kind of effect mods have on the low end/midrange.
post #48 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Manufacturer of Pipes

Joe Z Intake - 2006 IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common question that I have received lately...

Any estimates on release date?
Ok Everyone!!!! Finally, here is the Good News...

We should have a batch of these ready by hopefully end of next week..... or the following week of 3/27/06.

These are going to look really nice Annodized Black!!!!

For NEW or CURRENT Enthusiasts of the 2006 IS, please share any ideas or thoughts for possible options you would like to see offered with this intake set up.!!

We will try are best to come up with a few different options for sleeve colors and pipe finish to accomodate various individual styles.
However, one of our goals is going to be to keep the price low, to give ALL IS Enthusiats an opportunity to MOD !!!!

Thank You
Joe Z

2008 Smoky Granite Mica IS-F w/ ML ~ NAV ~ Black Leather
PTS Exhaust, designed by Joe Z ~ TRD Shift knob ~ Protected by Aerotect
Five Axis Design R5:F Wheels on Continental Extreme DW

Joe Z Intake <- Designed by an Enthusiast for Enthusiasts

01' GGP ~ #131 Born 5/00 ~ Lost 4/07
ALL MY MODS are For Sale here: Joe Zís Super Garage Sale

post #49 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Altruist

Quote:
Guys- You can only trust a dyno when you're @ 100% throttle. Usually, with a manual car like the 250 here, you put it in gear, start @ 2000 RPM, floor it to 100% throttle, and do the dyno til redline.

An auto like the 350 is a bit more tricky. In an auto, if you go 100% throttle, it'll downshift to the lowest available gear and go from there. If you start @ 2000 RPM in 4th gear and floor it, it'll actually downshift into 3rd or 2nd, the RPMs will jump up to 5000 or so until it runs out of revs and shifts to the next gear.

The trick on an auto is to ease into the throttle, never going to 100% until after the downshift point... thats the point where, even if you go all in, if won't downshift, so you can get a good dyno reading @ 100% throttle.

On the IS300 this "point of no downshift" is around 4200 RPMs... thats why you'll never really see dyno's below 4000 on an automatic. Usually I edit out anything lower to eliminate confusion (so I don't have to type out posts like this one ). On the 350, the max RPM is higher and it's got one more gear, so I imagine that point might be even higher (around the 5000 you see on the dyno)

haha thats what i was explaining to joe the other day on the phone.. =)

nice work joe.
glad to see the dyno's and everything you put together.

your awesome!

Hmm... what to put?
post #50 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:36 AM
Loyalist

any pics of the final product?
post #51 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Lurker

Does this have a hook-up for the vacuum hose that is on the side of the stock intake pipe, or does it require a breather filter.

2006 IS 350
Blue Onyx Pearl
Black Leather
G-Spider wheels
Homemade Intake (+9.8whp on Dyno DynamicsDyno)
Exhaust soon to come
Possibly springs later on
post #52 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Manufacturer of Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_lost
any pics of the final product?

Pics of the Final Product will be available next week...
It will look exectly like the pics of the prototype, however they will be Polished to a Fine Luster & also offered in a Anodized Satin Black Finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerIS350
Does this have a hook-up for the vacuum hose that is on the side of the stock intake pipe, or does it require a breather filter.
Yes - It will be designed for a super easy install, and NO addtional parts or modifying will be needed!!!

Now we just wait to see which Co. will be release a drop in filter 1st!!

Joe Z

2008 Smoky Granite Mica IS-F w/ ML ~ NAV ~ Black Leather
PTS Exhaust, designed by Joe Z ~ TRD Shift knob ~ Protected by Aerotect
Five Axis Design R5:F Wheels on Continental Extreme DW

Joe Z Intake <- Designed by an Enthusiast for Enthusiasts

01' GGP ~ #131 Born 5/00 ~ Lost 4/07
ALL MY MODS are For Sale here: Joe Zís Super Garage Sale

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-17-2006 at 09:53 AM. Reason: typo
post #53 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Altruist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z
Pics of the Final Product will be available next week...
It will look exectly like the pics of the prototype, however they will be Polished to a Fine Luster & also offered in a Anodized Satin Black Finish.

Yes - It will be designed for a super easy install, and NO addtional parts or modifying will be needed!!!

Now we just wait to see which Co. will be release a drop in filter 1st!!

Joe Z

im willing to bet money on either blitz or trd for the first drop in..

maybe followed by hks...

Hmm... what to put?
post #54 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 12:36 AM
.NET Dunce

cant wait till production is finished... i want my 8 hp back!!!!!
post #55 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:11 AM

OK, I am a little confused about the difficulty to dyno the IS350.(forgive me I'm a noob).....

I thought when you were using the paddles to shift, that it would not upshift or downshift unless you depressed the paddle. Is this not true?
post #56 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:47 AM
Not Officially Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw350
OK, I am a little confused about the difficulty to dyno the IS350.(forgive me I'm a noob).....

I thought when you were using the paddles to shift, that it would not upshift or downshift unless you depressed the paddle. Is this not true?

I believe there are two modes to the tranny... the default mode all cars shift with is to downshift as needed... but there is another mode which can be enabled that locks into gears when you select them.

I saw this at a pre-release press event, but went by the dealer to confirm this weekend and they said there was no such mode. Still trying to hunt down instructions on how to enable.

Toyomoto Supercharged '03 TCM E-Shift IS300
404 rwhp/325rwtq 18.5 psi pump gas

*NEW* ISX50 Parts Catalog | IS300 BPU Parts Catalog

Rep... it's not just for the Parking Lot
post #57 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:00 AM

Quote:
I believe there are two modes to the tranny... the default mode all cars shift with is to downshift as needed... but there is another mode which can be enabled that locks into gears when you select them.

I saw this at a pre-release press event, but went by the dealer to confirm this weekend and they said there was no such mode. Still trying to hunt down instructions on how to enable.

I went to test drive an IS350 a few days ago and had it in the "S" mode using the paddles. The car would not shift unless I pressed the paddles. The only wierd thing was when I started up the car and put it into the "S" mode, the gear indicator listed 4th gear. The salesman told me that if I did not want the car to shift, I had to press the paddle to bring the car to 1st gear. Does this make any sense? Can anyone with an IS350 confirm this?
post #58 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:11 AM
Not Officially Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw350
I went to test drive an IS350 a few days ago and had it in the "S" mode using the paddles. The car would not shift unless I pressed the paddles. The only wierd thing was when I started up the car and put it into the "S" mode, the gear indicator listed 4th gear. The salesman told me that if I did not want the car to shift, I had to press the paddle to bring the car to 1st gear. Does this make any sense? Can anyone with an IS350 confirm this?

That would be the normal operating mode... when you start her up and put it in S, it defaults to 4th. If you leave it there and just drive, it'll start in 1st, then go to 2nd when it thinks it should, then 3rd, then 4th. With the selctor in 4th, however, it will never go into 5th gear.

If you get into 4th and stomp the gas, however, the DEFAULT mode will downshift into whatever gear is appropriate and go from there.

What we're looking for is the mode where that won't happen if you stomp it... so you can go pedal to the floor in 4th and it'll stay in 4 no matter what.

The default mode has little dots to indicate the current shift range, it'll show the number of the highest allowed gear and then dots for all lower gears. The other mode doesn't show those dots I believe

post #59 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:15 AM
Not Officially Back

Quote:
That would be the normal operating mode... when you start her up and put it in S, it defaults to 4th. If you leave it there and just drive, it'll start in 1st, then go to 2nd when it thinks it should, then 3rd, then 4th. With the selctor in 4th, however, it will never go into 5th gear.

If you get into 4th and stomp the gas, however, the DEFAULT mode will downshift into whatever gear is appropriate and go from there.

What we're looking for is the mode where that won't happen if you stomp it... so you can go pedal to the floor in 4th and it'll stay in 4 no matter what.

The default mode has little dots to indicate the current shift range, it'll show the number of the highest allowed gear and then dots for all lower gears. The other mode doesn't show those dots I believe
Oops, to clarify, what the salesman meant is that, if you had left it in 4th, it would shift out of 1st without you. If you didn't want it to shift out of first into 2nd until you told it to, you would have had to use the paddles to select 1st on the selector. Unfortunately, that only works for upshifting, and doesn't keep it from downshifting as it sees fit (unless we find the other mode)

post #60 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:27 AM
Not Officially Back

Everything in the official lexus documentation (owners manual, release notes to dealers, etc) says it's alwasy 1-x gear, where x is the gear you selected, and that it will always intelligently downshift.

I know for a fact this wasn't the case on the pre release test cars we drove... there was an option in the "satellite switch" used to control the multi info display that allowed you to switch between AT modes. I remember I made a big deal of this at the press event... lemme see if I can get in touch with the guy from Lexus University who showed us how to do it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page