• 1 Post By blkdout

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)

CA Vehicle Code Laws

I purchased a set of clear side marker lights for the front and I've been hesitant to install them because CHP and the city police out here are super board all the time and are begging for someone to make the wrong move.

So after searching I found this specific to the side marker lights..

24608. (a) Motortrucks, trailers, semitrailers, and buses 80 or more inches in width manufactured on or after January 1, 1968, shall be equipped with an amber reflector on each side at the front and a red reflector on each side at the rear. Any vehicle may be so equipped.

However...

(e) Area reflectorizing material may be used in lieu of the reflectors required or permitted in subdivisions (a) and (b), provided each installation is of sufficient size to meet the photometric requirement for such reflectors.

Just wondering if I could get away with 3 inch thick amber reflector tape on the inside of the wheel-well and if that would fly.. lol Not sure where-else I could put Amber reflective tape...

I always liked that terminology "in-lieu-of" fancy for because. lol

Build Here

Video Here

DIY Oil Filter Relocation Here

Follow Instagram.com/FSprtJK <--Here
Check out TireStickers.Com <--Here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 08:58 PM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)

It would have to be on the side of the body to be technically legal.

The vehicles I'm familiar with are 92" wide and 13' 6" tall, however, the fancy new LED technology we use are single diode 3/4" round lamps with no reflection. The old incandescent lamps had reflectors in the lenses. In other words, we're not exactly legal but also have about 30,000 vehicles running around like that from coast to coast. The other 30,000 vehicles still have reflective lamps. With those technicalities aside, we do adhere to red/white side reflectors, red/white rear reflectors and top rear corner 12"x12" white reflectors.

It really depends on who pulls you over. They generally don't have the manual memorized simply because it's very confusing and there are TONS of loopholes. It's not hard to win a case if you're willing to argue some facts. You're on the right track with arming yourself with the DOT manual!
White2003Lexus likes this.

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Regional Forums / All Together Now > California

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page