IS250 Rear Brake Caliper Slide Pin Issue - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS250 Owner's Forum
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

domnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community member
IS250 Rear Brake Caliper Slide Pin Issue

Hi All,

Hope I'm posting in the right place - I need some advice/guidance. My 2006 IS250 AWD needed new rear brake pads, I bought the stock pads and replaced the driver side with no issues. When I got to the passenger side, I found that the lower slide pin (the one that's kinda built into the caliper and doesn't have an obvious way to be removed) seems to be seized, preventing me from installing the thicker outer brake pad. Has anyone else come across this issue, and if so, what did you do to get that slide pin moving again? I'm not looking for an answer like "go buy a new caliper"...although if that pin is not serviceable, I understand that may be the only solution. I do know there was a TSB/recall for the driver side rear caliper, which was replaced. Should the other side have been replaced under recall as well? Any useful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
domnf15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

KINGSTER is an elite community memberKINGSTER is an elite community memberKINGSTER is an elite community memberKINGSTER is an elite community memberKINGSTER is an elite community memberKINGSTER is an elite community memberKINGSTER is an elite community memberKINGSTER is an elite community memberKINGSTER is an elite community memberKINGSTER is an elite community memberKINGSTER is an elite community member
I got a full set of brakes and performance drilled & slotted rotors installed on my 06 last weekend. I observed every move and part my brother moved to do the installation. I did notice him removing two clips and sliding two long pins from each rear side. Nothing complicated. Just a matter of knowing which clip and pad goes where. It was easy removal and easy installation of clips and pins. Not sure about the recall since I bough my car with 19k already. Calipers brakes and rotors looked exactly the same to me in the rear.
All four clips and pins looked the same. Not quiet sure what the problem is with your pin/s but maybe a matter of using some W40 and tapping the pin/s gently with a rubber hammer. That's what my Bro. used for some bolts and parts in the front. I would had paid about $200 labor outside the dealer but it was free with my bro. That's why he got a nice X-Mas gift.

Good luck
KINGSTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

domnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community memberdomnf15 is an elite community member
The "pins" you are referring to are not the same as the ones I mentioned. Your brother removed two bolts to get the caliper/caliper bracket off and replace the pads/rotors. These bolts are 14mm head and threaded from top to bottom. The "tail" of the bolt is visible and can be tapped on with a center punch or sprayed with WD-40. The slide pins are what attach the caliper to the caliper bracket, and they have a black rubber "boot" around them. The top one has either a 19 or 21mm head which faces towards the rear differential. The bottom one does not have either an exposed head or tail, one end terminates in the caliper, the other in the caliper bracket. It is this lower slide pin which is seized. After talking to my friend, who is a Lexus parts guy, he recommended buying an entire new caliper. It might be possible to heat the pin and hit it with a hammer to get it loose, but I don't know what strain/stress that puts on the metal, and saving $100-$200 is not worth my wife getting into an accident if it eventually fails because of this tinkering.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

G007 is an unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by domnf15 View Post
The "pins" you are referring to are not the same as the ones I mentioned. Your brother removed two bolts to get the caliper/caliper bracket off and replace the pads/rotors. These bolts are 14mm head and threaded from top to bottom. The "tail" of the bolt is visible and can be tapped on with a center punch or sprayed with WD-40. The slide pins are what attach the caliper to the caliper bracket, and they have a black rubber "boot" around them. The top one has either a 19 or 21mm head which faces towards the rear differential. The bottom one does not have either an exposed head or tail, one end terminates in the caliper, the other in the caliper bracket. It is this lower slide pin which is seized. After talking to my friend, who is a Lexus parts guy, he recommended buying an entire new caliper. It might be possible to heat the pin and hit it with a hammer to get it loose, but I don't know what strain/stress that puts on the metal, and saving $100-$200 is not worth my wife getting into an accident if it eventually fails because of this tinkering.
I am having the same issue with my 06 IS250 RWD, my Rear Right caliper is seized
G007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 02-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

I did the right rear caliper replacement about a week ago, it is very easy. You do need a second person to bleed the brake lines, but that is about the only complication. You remove the same 2 bolts as if you were replacing the pads/rotor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS250 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)