IS250 Cabin Air Filter - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS250 Owner's Forum
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

mschepis is an unknown at this point
IS250 Cabin Air Filter

Has anyone changed their own cabin air filter, if so, does the hinged door that protects the filter have a closure latch or is it simply gravity that holds it down once rotated into place?
mschepis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Guru

digger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschepis View Post
Has anyone changed their own cabin air filter, if so, does the hinged door that protects the filter have a closure latch or is it simply gravity that holds it down once rotated into place?
IMPORTANT: Please ensure that the vehicle is in recirculate mode. If not, you will force open the computer controled damper and damage the HVAC system.

We just replaced one for a customer at the tune of $2000.00 damage from not having the recirculate mode on.

It is extremely important to follow this process on all newer 2nd gen models inclusing the IS350. As I do not own one of these vehicles, nor do I know the differences between IS250 or IS350 HVAC systems.

Here is some steps to help you.

This is from an ES350, so your HVAC control panel may look different.

Recirculate turned on, then shut the car off - I think two taps or one on the start button or key off.

Empty your glove box to reveal access door - The IS250/350 should be an "L" shaped access door - apply slight finger pressure sliding to the left and then slide up
See Picture on the left

Once the first "L" shaped door is removed it will reveal the second door
Slide up, using slight finger pressure - prongs are on the bottom, once up it should just pull out and away

Stop! If you now see a third door blocking the way - you do not have the HVAC system in recirculate mode - If this door is forced - this is where the damage will happen
Proceed! If you have a clear veiw of the filter and basket

Should now reveal the filter cover or end cap or filter basket- This now needs removal.

See exact example below for the IS250/350 - Picture on the left side

You should now be able to remove your Cabin Filter by pulling out of the basket

Note the position of the filter, when removing to ensure you put the new one back in the same way. The filter will also be marked with an arrow point "UP" and physicaly state "UP". The ES350 did not have a basket, yours probably does.

See pictured below on the left side for IS250/ 350

Re-assemble in reverse order

Digger08

Last edited by digger08; 04-29-2009 at 11:34 AM.
digger08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 04-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ninja?

kayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community member
Digger, absolutely correct. And yes, it is the same procedure for both vehicles. 250 and 350.
Q:WHAT'S AN IS-F? A: AN IS300 WITH "8" 3RD GEARS
kayotik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 04-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Guru

digger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community member
I had to edit, as I think I missed a step. Now fixed as I missed the "L" shapped door

Digger08

Last edited by digger08; 04-29-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the very important information!!. BTW, you mentioned $2000.00 repair, what exactly happened that amounted to that kind of money?. Also, for my own knowledge does the recirculate mode open the door allowing access to the filter?

Thanks Again
Old 04-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ninja?

kayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community memberkayotik is an elite community member
Quote:
Thanks for the very important information!!. BTW, you mentioned $2000.00 repair, what exactly happened that amounted to that kind of money?. Also, for my own knowledge does the recirculate mode open the door allowing access to the filter?

Thanks Again
The bulk of the cost is probably labor charges. Opening the door without the recirculation on will break a lever or something like that. They have to take apart the entire dash to replace the mechanism. I'm pretty sure the mechanism is costly as well.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayotik View Post
The bulk of the cost is probably labor charges. Opening the door without the recirculation on will break a lever or something like that. They have to take apart the entire dash to replace the mechanism. I'm pretty sure the mechanism is costly as well.

Actual figures were:

Replacement HVAC part was $2,840.00 CAN
Labor = 7 hours at 125.00 hr. =$875.00 CAN
Plus taxes at 15%

= was in the $4200.00 range.

When the door is forced, it breaks the damper attachment point and requires an entirely new HVAC system.

Note: this was not a personal damage fault , but the mistake of aftermarket service technician. So my company had to pony up and repair this through a dealer to make things right. Big mistake for such a small part.

In defense, Lexus did not issue any warnings on this untill June 2008

Digger08
Old 04-29-2009, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

As far as I can understand the broken bracket would make the re-circulating setting inoperable. Most people avoid using the recirculating setting as it causes fogging of the windows. Why would someone be inclined to spend such an exorbitant amount of money for something so unimportant?
Just wondering... because the amount seems almost ridiculous!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Guru

Quote:
As far as I can understand the broken bracket would make the re-circulating setting inoperable. Most people avoid using the recirculating setting as it causes fogging of the windows. Why would someone be inclined to spend such an exorbitant amount of money for something so unimportant?
Just wondering... because the amount seems almost ridiculous!
Apparently you need to read my last post again as to why it was repaired and no, the broken bracket, effects the entire system not just the recirculate mode.

I would think that if it was your car and someone else broke it, you would expect nothing less than the proper repair.

Digger08
Old 04-30-2009, 04:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

I totally agree with you on every account. My statement was a result of my surprise of the cost. It just seems unlike "Toyota" to design something in this way.
My apologies.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Nicole516 is an unknown at this point
What are the signs that you have a broken cabin air filter recirculate lever? Is it something that can only be determined during another change of the air filter?
Nicole516 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ninja?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole516 View Post
What are the signs that you have a broken cabin air filter recirculate lever? Is it something that can only be determined during another change of the air filter?
uh... press the recirculate button and see if it works or not?
Old 06-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

If this was broken during servicing would it stop working directly after it was broken? The recirculate mode seems to work fine, it is the fresh air button that seems to be having issues. I am wondering if these two are related?
Old 06-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ninja?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole516 View Post
If this was broken during servicing would it stop working directly after it was broken? The recirculate mode seems to work fine, it is the fresh air button that seems to be having issues. I am wondering if these two are related?
yes. it is directly related.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Is it possible to break this piece during servicing and have it work for a few months before it quits working?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS250 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)