How to check the transmission fluid level? - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS250 Owner's Forum
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

chenmoon is an unknown at this point
How to check the transmission fluid level?

Any one know how to check the transmission fluid level? I try to find answer, but no luck.
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
jasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community member
there is an entry point alongside the drain plug under the transmission casing that allows the level to be checked, but it is not intended to be a driver check item.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Extremist

Knightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenmoon View Post
Any one know how to check the transmission fluid level? I try to find answer, but no luck.
the second gen IS automatic is a sealed transmission. There's no dipstick and it does not require any routine servicing.

If you ever had a repair or something that caused a loss of fluid you would restore to the proper level using this procedure (which is basically to fill until some comes out of the overflow plug hole):
Attached Thumbnails
How to check the transmission fluid level?-tranfluid.jpg  
Knightshade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

chenmoon is an unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
the second gen IS automatic is a sealed transmission. There's no dipstick and it does not require any routine servicing.

If you ever had a repair or something that caused a loss of fluid you would restore to the proper level using this procedure (which is basically to fill until some comes out of the overflow plug hole):
You mean we never need to change the Tranny fluid, even is at 123,000Km?

Also, how to get the procedure manual?

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Extremist

Knightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenmoon View Post
You mean we never need to change the Tranny fluid, even is at 123,000Km?

Also, how to get the procedure manual?

Thanks.
Not only do you not need to, it's physically impossible to change more than 10-15% or so of it at any time.

It's a sealed transmission with lifetime fluid.

I attached the page with how to refill (using the overflow method) in my earlier post, just click on the attached picture and it has all the steps/diagram/info there.

The same info also shows you how little fluid you can remove even if you drop the pan entirely (only about 1.5L out of a system that holds like 9)... hence why you can't change the fluid...there's no way to remove even a quarter of it (short of taking the entire thing apart...and even then you'll only get about 1/3 (removing the valve body) or a bit under half (removing the torque converter)
Old 07-06-2011, 05:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

diablo1714 is an unknown at this point
Interesting, I did not know about the sealed trans. One less fluid to have to change !
diablo1714 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

warrior1212 is an unknown at this point
Bummer! I feel jipped! I was at the dealer and I was charged $180 to replace my ATF. The Service Advisor made it seem really important, and I fell for it! I called trying to cancel it, unfortunately, the service has been done on my IS250.
warrior1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior1212 View Post
Bummer! I feel jipped! I was at the dealer and I was charged $180 to replace my ATF. The Service Advisor made it seem really important, and I fell for it! I called trying to cancel it, unfortunately, the service has been done on my IS250.
Heh... well, congrats, you just got about 10% of your fluid changed!

(which about how much pulling the drain plug will get ya)

Assuming you're in the US though I'd probably go back to him with the owners manual in hand and ask why he just billed you for a service the manual explicitly states is never required and shouldn't be done.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

warrior1212 is an unknown at this point
I will write a letter to both the dealer and Lexus. Hopefully I get something out of it, like a free oil change at the very least.

They fixed the cranking noise when I start my engine for free (covered under warranty), and then got pressured for the transmission oil change.
warrior1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS250 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)