Airbag light stays lit on dashboard - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS250 Owner's Forum
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Frequenter

superbyul has been a helpful user
Airbag light stays lit on dashboard

Last week, the airbag light started coming on, but sometimes go off on restart of the engine. This week, it just remains on no matter if I restart the car.

I have 2008 is 250 with 77K+ miles... I plan on bringing my car into dealership for a recall issue from a few months ago and I'd like them to look at this issue also. But with the high mileage, anyone have an idea of what it'll cost to get this issue looked at and even possible fixed?

Thanks in advance.
superbyul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Extremist

Knightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbyul View Post
Last week, the airbag light started coming on, but sometimes go off on restart of the engine. This week, it just remains on no matter if I restart the car.

I have 2008 is 250 with 77K+ miles... I plan on bringing my car into dealership for a recall issue from a few months ago and I'd like them to look at this issue also. But with the high mileage, anyone have an idea of what it'll cost to get this issue looked at and even possible fixed?

Thanks in advance.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...mSIpRs0bvQOYbQ

Bad new is you're just past the 70,000 mile limit on the warranty

Possibly with it being a "safety" thing and being only about 10% past warranty you can work something out with Lexus.

You might can get autozone to read the code for free to narrow down exactly what the issue might be though
Knightshade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Frequenter

superbyul has been a helpful user
thanks knightsshade, I'll try to contact corporate lexus on Monday and see what they are willing to offer at a nearby dealership.

I was actually at a local dealership on saturday for a recall issue, and I mentioned my airbag issue, so they told me it'd be $160 just to do a diagnosis since my car is past warranty.
superbyul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 10-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lurker

codeflux is an unknown at this point
So, did you contact Lexus? What's the resolution?

I have the same issue on wife's 06 IS250, 75k miles. I called Lexus thursday, they haven't got back to me yet (said up to 5 days).

BTW dealer quoted $3k for repairs - they say it's the wiring harness.

/subscribed
codeflux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 10-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
jasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeflux View Post
So, did you contact Lexus? What's the resolution?

I have the same issue on wife's 06 IS250, 75k miles. I called Lexus thursday, they haven't got back to me yet (said up to 5 days).

BTW dealer quoted $3k for repairs - they say it's the wiring harness.

/subscribed
$3K for a wiring harness? Sounds a bit extreme. It's worth it to get the diagnosis to find out what's wrong if an OBDII doesn't pick up a code. It may though as I recently had intermittent issues, but with my Impala. Luckily it was within warranty, but the only thing that needed checked was a loose connector under the driver seat. Malfunction read an open squib loop. If an OBDII reader says something along the same lines, check the male/female harness connection under the seat. Remember to disconnect that battery and wait at least 2 minutes to work on the SRS system due to a back up battery.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm4444 View Post
$3K for a wiring harness? Sounds a bit extreme. It's worth it to get the diagnosis to find out what's wrong if an OBDII doesn't pick up a code. It may though as I recently had intermittent issues, but with my Impala. Luckily it was within warranty, but the only thing that needed checked was a loose connector under the driver seat. Malfunction read an open squib loop. If an OBDII reader says something along the same lines, check the male/female harness connection under the seat. Remember to disconnect that battery and wait at least 2 minutes to work on the SRS system due to a back up battery.
I did try ODBII, but there were no trouble codes. Strange. Unless Lexus pays for is, there is no way in hell I'm paying $3k for repairs.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Follower

Solid_Snake is an elite community memberSolid_Snake is an elite community memberSolid_Snake is an elite community memberSolid_Snake is an elite community memberSolid_Snake is an elite community memberSolid_Snake is an elite community memberSolid_Snake is an elite community memberSolid_Snake is an elite community memberSolid_Snake is an elite community memberSolid_Snake is an elite community memberSolid_Snake is an elite community member
A fairly common issue with 2006-2008 ISx50 is the airbag light coming on with a DTC of driver side knee squib. There is a TSIB for this and the fix according to the TSIB is replacing the dashboard wiring harness.
My Build Thread
Solid_Snake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 10-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lurker

WTF is a squib?
Old 10-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
jasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community member
The squib is the component within the air bag inflator that begins the deployment process.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lurker

Quote:
The squib is the component within the air bag inflator that begins the deployment process.
Oh, excellent, I had no idea. Googling proved useless - this time.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
Just remember that with an Airbag light, the system is completely disabled and the airbags most likely will not deploy in the event of an accident.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lurker

Quote:
Just remember that with an Airbag light, the system is completely disabled and the airbags most likely will not deploy in the event of an accident.
Yes, I do realize that. I'll take the car to my mechanic, and have him do it, if he can.

Think about it - what the dealer wants to charge is almost 15% of the value of the car!
I hope they will honor the TSB and fix it.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
Quote:
I hope they will honor the TSB and fix it.
As long as you're still under the warranty it's free hopefully you are.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Lurker

I am no longer under warranty - my 2006 IS250 has ~75k miles on it.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Extremist

Knightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community member
Quote:
I am no longer under warranty - my 2006 IS250 has ~75k miles on it.
Airbag warranty is to 70,000 miles so you just missed it...

as I suggested previously, since it's a potential safety issue you might get them to work with you on this (or call Lexus corporate and get them to do so)... though work with you might be anything from cover it anyway to offer to split costs to pay just a little toward it...
Knightshade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS250 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)