Here is a list of all Bulletins that you and your dealer may need to fix your car! - Page 4 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 06:31 AM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can't see how it wouldn't apply since they didn't change or modify the brakes. had an '07 and now have an '08 and it is the same old story. I clean my wheels about three times a week, although when I painted my calipers this past Sunday I also put a VERY healthy amount of Poorboys Wheel Sealant on them with the hopes that it will make clean up easier. We'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 05:42 PM

Yeah, I applied 3 coats of poorboys when I did my calipers and the only difference I notice is that my wheels seem to be easier to clean. I still get a healthy amount of brake dust after a couple of drives.
post #48 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 12:15 PM

I have a 2006 IS350 with only 42,000 miles and I went to the dealer today and complained about the brake dust and squeaks from the brakes. I mentioned the TSIB I saw and asked to have my pads replaced under warranty. The service adviser said because I only had 3mm of pad left they would not. I asked what the mm needed to be in order to have them replaced and he said the pads would need to be about 7mm. I even went above him and talked to the shop supervisor and he said that this is a wear and tear item that is not under any warranty.

post #49 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixx007 View Post
I have a 2006 IS350 with only 42,000 miles and I went to the dealer today and complained about the brake dust and squeaks from the brakes. I mentioned the TSIB I saw and asked to have my pads replaced under warranty. The service adviser said because I only had 3mm of pad left they would not. I asked what the mm needed to be in order to have them replaced and he said the pads would need to be about 7mm. I even went above him and talked to the shop supervisor and he said that this is a wear and tear item that is not under any warranty.
He's absolutely wrong.

A moment of thought should tell you that.

Since they're -required- to give you new pads for the brake dust issue.

And they going to -throw away- the old pads they remove.

The condition of the -old- pads can not possibly have any relevance to the TSIB. They're going in the trash if they have 3mm left or if they have 3 miles total use on them.

I'd call Lexus corporate and report the dealership for refusing a Lexus TSIB under warranty.
post #50 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 04:37 PM

They gave me the same line when I went for another issue and ask about the pad TSIB. But I will be going back to get it done when I have some time, the pads on my car where still pretty healthy. I'm going to wait a little longer.

'06 IS350, T.P.
post #51 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenunez View Post
They gave me the same line when I went for another issue and ask about the pad TSIB. But I will be going back to get it done when I have some time, the pads on my car where still pretty healthy. I'm going to wait a little longer.
Ask him if you put fresh full pads and, then came in for the TSIB, would he do it?

When he says yes point out to him how incredibly stupid he sounds because both those fresh pads and your old ones would be going in the trash, and he'd be supplying the new TSIB set in either case.

I know dealers'll say anything to avoid work, but this one is just beyond dumb.... "We can't throw away that part and replace it under warranty... it's too worn. We'd only throw it away if it was in BETTER shape."

Huh?
post #52 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 07:52 AM

Does anyone know how good dealers are about the TSIB's if you've just passed 50K? I've just recently started noting the vibrating mirror along with the hum from having my IPOD charging while playing (VERY ANNOYING)....both of which I know there are TSIB's for. Any incite would be great.
post #53 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 08:11 AM

New Update: I called Lexus Corporate today about this whole TSIB brake issue. They told me the same thing that my Lexus dealership told me which was in order for my brake pads to be covered by the TSIB the current brake pads must be 5mm or higher. Anything lower will not be covered. He said that they have to send the brake pads back to warranty claims and if they do not fall into the warranty specification then the dealership will have to eat the cost. I told him that there are no guidelines on the TSIB announcement and he said that's because there is another page not released to the public but the Lexus technicians have it. He even said that the TSIBs are not really even for the public use. They are for the Lexus technicians use so if they see a common issue with a particular model then they can refer to the TSIB instead of diagnosing an issue that has already been diagnosed too many times and there is already a resolution in place.
post #54 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Extremist

Honestly I'm surprised they had an answer for you that quick. The two times I've had to contact them they said they needed to "research" the issue and it ended up being about a week before they fixed it.

That said, their answer still doesn't make sense. The high dust is a known issue with the original pad, how much life is left in it doesn't have anything to do with the issue the TSIB is actually "fixing" It's not like they are replacing a "failed" part with a new one of the SAME part and can blame the failure on how worn it is. The problem is inherent to even a brand new one of the part. Their cost in either case is one set of TSIB pads installed on your car.

I'd probably call back and try talking to someone else, making that exact point.

Failing that, assuming your car still has a fair bit of warranty left, I'd just buy the (much cheaper) high dust pads, drive those until they are just short of the "minimum" they are claiming for the TSIB, and then do the TSIB.
post #55 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Deity

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350forSac View Post
Does anyone know how good dealers are about the TSIB's if you've just passed 50K? I've just recently started noting the vibrating mirror along with the hum from having my IPOD charging while playing (VERY ANNOYING)....both of which I know there are TSIB's for. Any incite would be great.
How many miles over 50k are ya? All you can do is ask. I'd call 800-25-Lexus as well.

Regadiing the TSIB on the brake pads, I would absolutely NOT give up on this. I've had service advisors encourage me to use up the pads, before I was sure I wanted to switch.
post #56 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 09:44 PM

How long do you think I should wait until I go in to get my new brake pads. I have 12,000 miles on my 08 IS350 and I don't want to haggle with the dealer if you cant go below 5-7mm.
Thanks for your help

K Dub
2008 IS 350 Black Sapphire Pearl
post #57 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 06:02 AM
Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdub805 View Post
How long do you think I should wait until I go in to get my new brake pads. I have 12,000 miles on my 08 IS350 and I don't want to haggle with the dealer if you cant go below 5-7mm.
Thanks for your help
The sooner, the better.

G F Y
post #58 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 06:50 AM
Extremist

The bigger haggling will be the fact that 08s aren't covered by the TSIB, so they may refuse to do it regardless of how worn or not the pads are. (mine did)

My current plan, assuming they don't update the TSIB before then, is before my 10k service to just call Lexus corporate and complain to them about it...based on previous experience I expect they'll instruct the dealer to do it for me free anyway.

You might get lucky though, some dealers do it on the 08s as a courtesy even though they're not required to.
post #59 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Aficionado

I was just looking at the TSB for brakes (change to ceramics) and it only covers '06 and '07's. Anyone know of an updated TSB including '08's or is it just assumed to cover?

Last edited by Razal; 07-17-2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: DOH!!! Should've read the end of this thread first!!! LOL
post #60 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Geezer

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I took my car in this week for 36 months service, basically a brake fluid flush, since I did all the other stuff myself. They saw that I hadn't had the seat belt recall done and were pretty insistent that they do it since it's a safety thing. So they needed to keep the car overnight. Since the car was going to be there I told them I wanted the brake pad TSB done too. So they said they'd see if my car qualified for the brake pads and gave me a RX350 loaner. I picked the car up today and everything was done including the brakes and appeared to be done correctly. So I'm a happy camper and the car is good as new with about 16,600 miles on it. They always remark on the mileage like "boy would they love to get that one as a trade in", so I have to resist.

Boy was I glad to get out of that RX after maybe 120 miles. Mushy ride, wallowy body roll, etc. Nice and quiet though and roomy. Today it was raining and going into Huntsville was brand new blacktop. I stopped at a red light and when it turned green hit the gas for a quick getaway and the front wheels broke loose. Had to back out of it to get going. Quite embarrassing. It really felt good to get back in the IS. I had caught myself going into turns too fast in the RX as well.

Something else funny was that the RX had memory seats and steering wheel. I set up the #2 setting the best I could and drove it that way. Just for curiosity I once pushed the #1 button and the seat started moving forward and I thought I was going to be crushed against the wheel. It was so far up I doubt if I could have even got out. I actually started to panic until I found the other button to get stuff moved back. Modern marvels. Phooo.

The brake parts match the numbers on the PDF in this post:

Here is a list of all Bulletins that you and your dealer may need to fix your car!

MOLON LABE

Last edited by bartkat; 11-08-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page