Advertisement

post #107 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Deity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exist3nce View Post
You might be surprised how big this "niche" market is, and how many people do in fact care about "fast". I can assure you there are no shortage of customers looking to "go faster" - from all walks of the car scene, not just Lexus/IS300 guys.
The ratio of IS250 to IS350/F sold would beg to differ, and confirms that overwhelmingly people does not care to go fast. I agree with you: the IS300 scene is really just a microcosm. I'm sure other platforms has more cars that are aftermarket boosted, as they have larger volume (as IS300 never sold that well). But again, the ratio of aftermarket boosted vs stock will again be miniscule. Really, people mostly care about looks and fuel economy for the most part. Performance is really just a niche market for a small group of car performance enthusiast out of a small group of car enthusiast. A small subset out of a smaller subset = a really small subset.

03 CW | Tokico White| EiBach Prokit | Tom's RSTB | L-tune Red Sway | Works VS-XX gold 18x8.5 +45/18x9.5 +45 | Hankook V12 215/40/18 + 225/40/18 | JoeZ | Dezod green header | RMM Front/Side/trunk spoiler + Carson rear lip | 03 SD Grill | Ebay oem style Headlights | JDM Dark Chrome Tails | Kenwood DNX7100 | Kenwood GTM-10 | JBL MS-8 | JDM Double Din | Focal 165VR | Infinity 6932 | ID IDQ10V3-4 IB Rear Deck | Alpine PDX-5 | Dynamat Extreme | CompuStar
My pix whoring thread
post #108 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Guru

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Not to troll this convo..(which belongs in another thread BTW)

having no tunable/Locked ECU/ ECM's and highly priced turbo kits with extensive remapping required.."nobody got time for that"!

....cannot compete with run and gun affordability of other manufacturers that have lots of basic plug and play/ chipped tunes...

Only the wisest die hard Lexus enthusiasts, can pursue engine swaps, stand alone engine management systems, and frequent tune hiccups. Couple this with Ontario Drive clean, and constant on going tweaking....its no wonder OE's have more factory turbo systems in small displacement engines these days....and not to mention over 10K to properly set the IS300 up.

Digger08

2008 IS F Series 2/ Mercury Metallic 1F2/ Joe Z/ aFe/ Garax 6K/ Volk VR G2 19"/ F-Sport Rear Sway/ ISS Forged DES/ BCR/ Beatsonic
2012 CT200h Fire Agate Pearl
2001 IS300 Solar Yellow -SOLD
2001 IS300 Black Onyx -STOLTed - SOLD

post #109 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Loyalist

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Stock > best. ANYWAYS.

Thanks everybody for coming out. Surprisingly good turnout considering the horrible weather (though it could have been worse). Those of you who bailed... no excuse to miss future meets when the weather gets better!

I'd also like to suggest: going forward, our winter meets should be somewhere we can seek shelter. Pacific Mall underground (two levels down) is a good candidate. Security won't hassle us if we're just hanging out. Summer meets are to continue outdoors!

2004 | IIP | LSD | e-shift | Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A
post #110 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Deity

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yup. Sounds like a good idea. Nice to see everyone again, and meeting some new faces!

03 CW | Tokico White| EiBach Prokit | Tom's RSTB | L-tune Red Sway | Works VS-XX gold 18x8.5 +45/18x9.5 +45 | Hankook V12 215/40/18 + 225/40/18 | JoeZ | Dezod green header | RMM Front/Side/trunk spoiler + Carson rear lip | 03 SD Grill | Ebay oem style Headlights | JDM Dark Chrome Tails | Kenwood DNX7100 | Kenwood GTM-10 | JBL MS-8 | JDM Double Din | Focal 165VR | Infinity 6932 | ID IDQ10V3-4 IB Rear Deck | Alpine PDX-5 | Dynamat Extreme | CompuStar
My pix whoring thread
post #111 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysks View Post
The ratio of IS250 to IS350/F sold would beg to differ, and confirms that overwhelmingly people does not care to go fast. I agree with you: the IS300 scene is really just a microcosm. I'm sure other platforms has more cars that are aftermarket boosted, as they have larger volume (as IS300 never sold that well). But again, the ratio of aftermarket boosted vs stock will again be miniscule. Really, people mostly care about looks and fuel economy for the most part. Performance is really just a niche market for a small group of car performance enthusiast out of a small group of car enthusiast. A small subset out of a smaller subset = a really small subset.
I'd agree that out of the entire car community (that is, every car owner), the amount that modify is small. Modifications aimed at performance are a piece of that pie, and then extensive performance mods are a piece of the piece of pie LOL.

However, in the newer IS 250/350 community I believe the reason many of them don't go further in performance than an intake/exhaust is because..... there really is not much more they can do! Unfortunately for them, Toyota already took their motors close to the limit and left very little headroom for additional performance such as that gained from turbocharging. Its a trend that many manufacturers are following these days: using engineering to maximize profit by not overbuilding things (which means building them cheaper). Those 4GR/2GR motors while fairly decent in stock NA form leave very little on the table for the enthusiast - they are just weak in pretty much all aspects. I certainly won't be picking up an IS250/350 anytime soon even though its a nice car overall. Its a shame that Toyota has stuck with these motors as the only options for the IS since 2006 - ESPECIALLY not even offering a manual trans for the IS350! They turned the 2IS into more of a lackadaisical commuter than the true sporty enthusiast platform that the IS300 was.

Toyota/Lexus aside, all you need to do is look at the Honda enthusiast community for example and you will see just how many want to, and do "go faster". Their community is far larger than this one and there is a very strong interest in anything performance related. Granted some of them are kids in rusted out POS's, but there are far more serious ones out there that have spent $$$$ on their cars.

2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - Haltech PS2000 - GT4088R - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT Cable Throttle Conversion- Varex - LS430 Retro
2004 Optra/Forenza 2.0L - 225 whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Professional P&P - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3's - FX35 Retro
post #112 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Addict

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tony. Again didn't get to chat much. . In better weather hopefully. Still. Tony wore what I basically saw out of the corner of my eye was a tshirt!!!!

Can't wait for a meet where weather is good. I'm getting tired of just driving the 4runner all the time. Yearning for some FRS!!!!!

TEAM LEXUS IS300 GRAND AM RACECAR!: JRZ 3-way dampers | V160 6spd | BBS RG-R | MOTEC | Pi Research ECU
Daily Driver: '13 4Runner Trails edition
Fri/Sat/Sun car: Scion FR-S Whiteout, RAYS 57Xtreme
'01 IS300 on MOTON Clubsports & Vortech Supercharged - SOLD!
post #113 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)

Garage
so who owns the 3rd gen white IS?

I Fail at keeping my car clean
post #114 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 06:38 AM
Follower

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysks View Post
Meh, winter mode. Cannot be bother to put on summer bumpers. No one to impress. Not everyone is going to cares about fast, which is unfortunately for your business. You probably know this, but you serve a very niche market, and clearly most people will never be your customer.
My hobby is tinkering with cars, and making power is probably the most technical aspect of building and modding a car. I am a very technical person, and at car meets, I like to talk about cars, discuss about builds, and elaborate on current technology that can be implemented on our current rides (anything goes, from LED retrofits to billet turbos). A Lexus meet is the last place I think about business, when the Lexus crowd is below 2% of my overall market.

Feel free to express yourself, it's not like you have to be making big power and going fast; although you shouldn't be losing motivation to make your car better unless you just don't care anymore.

The automotive industry is about being green (fuel economy/emissions), being practical (cheap to purchase, run and stay reliable) and having luxury. Then the one that can do all of the above and go faster than everyone else is the industry leader. Power and performance is important if you are a car guy.

That's why people modify cars or have the motivation to build their own cars. There is no car that I can "buy" now that will make me happy in stock form.

My IS300 was great, and kept me happy for all these years since '06. Every few years, I bump up the power to stay above the average M/AMG/V8/etc...
Having a sleeper is nice, because it allows you to to start from the bottom and work your way up to the top. The enjoyment process is 10/10.

My winter car is actually an Evo 9... The forum had limited lines for signature, so I couldn't include all my cars in my sig. It makes 535 WHP with a GTX3076R. There are enough drivers out there that still wants to be fast in the winter, and most of these guys drive like a$$holes too. My Evo helps keep the stress levels down on my daily commute

Don't lose the motivation to go quicker!

I am always serious about going fast and looking good.. My Evo sits like this in the winter right now:

515 WHP @ 18 PSI GTX3076R Lexus IS300
1485+ WHP @ 45 PSI BEP 450-94 MKIV Supra TT
688 WHP @ 24 PSI GTW3884R MKIV Supra TT Auto
1028 WHP @ 35 PSI GTX4202R '94 Camry V6
Dynamotorsports Tuning

Last edited by Tony the Tiger; 01-28-2014 at 06:52 AM.
post #115 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 06:59 AM
Follower

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Tony, build a Subaru next, Please do it!
post #116 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 08:12 AM
Guru

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC!!! View Post
so who owns the 3rd gen white IS?
Lexus Canada. It was brought out to show everyone.

Digger08

2008 IS F Series 2/ Mercury Metallic 1F2/ Joe Z/ aFe/ Garax 6K/ Volk VR G2 19"/ F-Sport Rear Sway/ ISS Forged DES/ BCR/ Beatsonic
2012 CT200h Fire Agate Pearl
2001 IS300 Solar Yellow -SOLD
2001 IS300 Black Onyx -STOLTed - SOLD
post #117 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger08 View Post
Lexus Canada. It was brought out to show everyone.

Digger08
Nice! you guys are so special : )

I Fail at keeping my car clean
post #118 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Guru

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC!!! View Post
Nice! you guys are so special : )
We're fortunate to have the VP of Ham on our side.

HAM FOR EVERYONE!

Boost and Stuff- 2004 CW Turbo IS300 5MT LSD
354rwhp / 320lb ft @ 7.5PSI

Daily and Stuff- 2003 AR IS300 5AT LSD
post #119 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 10:00 AM
The Furious

A lot of off topic but interesting discussion here.

Tony the tiger was wearing a t-shirt in that weather? Holy damn....

Maybe a covered lot is a good idea. When is the next meet... Korruption?!

©2006 my.IS
She went stealth mode cuz batwoman. - Johnnysks

'03 IS300 Crystal White on Black Premium Package
Eibach | Tokico | Work | Sumitomo | Stock Fogs! | Pioneer | 35% | Centric

I am not "Bro", "Dude" or "Man" :P:P

post #120 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexuriuz View Post
A lot of off topic but interesting discussion here.

Tony the tiger was wearing a t-shirt in that weather? Holy damn....

Maybe a covered lot is a good idea. When is the next meet... Korruption?!
Tony's crazy wearing a T-shirt in that weather that night...it was so cold and windy!

Owner & Founder of
TOP END R4C1N6 MOTORSPORTS

Currently Searching For '01-'05 IS300 in 5AT or 5MT
TW '12 Honda Civic Si Sedan (FB6) - Daily/Parted Out
NBP '03 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan (CM5) - Retired/SOLD

Sponsored by: OptionJDM.com
AMF//automotofoto.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Regional Forums / All Together Now > Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page