battery died after couple weeks in garage - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Regional Forums / All Together Now > Canada
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Frequenter

myhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community member
battery died after couple weeks in garage

Should I look into replace a battery ? It's only 2 and half years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Frequenter

ppham444 is an elite community memberppham444 is an elite community memberppham444 is an elite community memberppham444 is an elite community memberppham444 is an elite community memberppham444 is an elite community memberppham444 is an elite community memberppham444 is an elite community memberppham444 is an elite community memberppham444 is an elite community memberppham444 is an elite community member
No, just jump your battery. It should last at least 4 or 5 years.
ppham444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 12-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Follower

jol0012 is an elite community memberjol0012 is an elite community memberjol0012 is an elite community memberjol0012 is an elite community memberjol0012 is an elite community memberjol0012 is an elite community memberjol0012 is an elite community memberjol0012 is an elite community memberjol0012 is an elite community memberjol0012 is an elite community memberjol0012 is an elite community member
Charge it up and take it out of your car if you are not driving it and put in on a piece of wood on the floor. It will last longer.
01 BO / Winter Mats / coffee cup on rear floor / crumbs everywhere / Iron Maiden Greatest Hits in CD player /Head Light washers now working! / two almost bald winter tires on the rear / 2 baby seats in back / Painted Calipers!/ Stechs
jol0012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 12-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Frequenter

lowrideraz is an elite community memberlowrideraz is an elite community memberlowrideraz is an elite community memberlowrideraz is an elite community memberlowrideraz is an elite community memberlowrideraz is an elite community memberlowrideraz is an elite community memberlowrideraz is an elite community memberlowrideraz is an elite community memberlowrideraz is an elite community memberlowrideraz is an elite community member
Or, you could leave it in the car on a trickle charger, the type that has protection circuits in it so it wont overcharge. Harsh climates (hot or cold) greatly affect battery life. I'm in Arizona and as a matter of choice I replace the batteries in all our vehicles batteries every two to three years. In the heat, when they go, there is no warning.

I notice your up in Toronto, the other extreme.

Lou
lowrideraz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 12-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Frequenter

myhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community membermyhusky is an elite community member
thanks for all the info
Old 12-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Aficionado

IS300RR is an elite community memberIS300RR is an elite community memberIS300RR is an elite community memberIS300RR is an elite community memberIS300RR is an elite community memberIS300RR is an elite community memberIS300RR is an elite community memberIS300RR is an elite community memberIS300RR is an elite community memberIS300RR is an elite community memberIS300RR is an elite community member
Or just start your car every week or two, let it run for a bit, move it in and out of the garage to free up your brakes and tires from the ground, eliminates the chances of the brakes seizing up on you.
IS300RR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 01-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

velvethammer is a continually helpful membervelvethammer is a continually helpful member
hi all.....i think my battery is dead.....i put a charger on it and it will not charge above 15% and when i used one of those lighter socket battery chargers it seemed to charge it but when i tried to start it all i got was a clicking sound but no start...should i try to jump start or replace the battery...it is only 2 years old and is a factory lexus battery 84 monther.....what is the procedure for jump starting the car and also how do i take the battery out ie...pos cable remove first then negative...i am a bit of a idiot..

thanks in advance
velvethammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 01-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Deity

Johnnysks is an elite community memberJohnnysks is an elite community memberJohnnysks is an elite community memberJohnnysks is an elite community memberJohnnysks is an elite community memberJohnnysks is an elite community memberJohnnysks is an elite community memberJohnnysks is an elite community memberJohnnysks is an elite community memberJohnnysks is an elite community memberJohnnysks is an elite community member
Jump start it.

In sequence, one at a time, start from the "red" terminal of the dead battery, then clamp on to the red terminal of the good battery, then clamp to the black terminal of the good battery than GROUND it by clamping to any bare metal of the chassi (not engine components, I've been told those may not be grounded as they're on engine mounts) of the car with the dead battery. I'm pretty sure if you connect it to the "black" terminal of the good battery (like most people do), you stand a much likelier chance of breaking something.

Quote:
Start the good car's engine, and make sure the headlights are off, to allow the maximum amount of power to get to the dead battery. Let the good car's engine run a minute or so before attempting to start the dead car. Sometimes you get lucky and the dead battery will jump start right away, sometimes it takes a few minutes. If you're lucky and have a voltmeter built into your dash on the dead car, turn the key to the accessory setting and read the voltage coming into your charging system. Ideally you want between 12 and 13.6 volts, but some cars can start at 10 volts. If your dead car's interior dome light comes on, it's a great sign that you've connected the cables right. Now shut all doors and dome lights and try to start the car. If it sounds like it's trying to crank but won't turn over completely, give it a few more minutes and rev the engine moderately on the good car. You may also need to play with the cable grips to get a better connection, and use that in dash voltmeter to its fullest if you have one. You'll get a normal sparking as you move the cables around a bit. Let's assume your engine started ok, but if it did not start, see the troubleshooting section further down this page.
http://www.carbuyingtips.com/jumpstart.htm

You remove the cables in the exact reverse order.
03 CW | Tokico White| EiBach Prokit | Tom's RSTB | L-tune Red Sway | Works VS-XX gold 18x8.5 +45/18x9.5 +45 | Hankook V12 215/40/18 + 225/40/18 | JoeZ | Dezod green header | RMM Front/Side/trunk spoiler + Carson rear lip | 03 SD Grill | Ebay oem style Headlights | JDM Dark Chrome Tails | Kenwood DNX7100 | Kenwood GTM-10 | JBL MS-8 | JDM Double Din | Focal 165VR | Infinity 6932 | ID IDQ10V3-4 IB Rear Deck | Alpine PDX-5 | Dynamat Extreme | CompuStar
My pix whoring thread

Last edited by Johnnysks; 01-01-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Johnnysks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 01-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Frequenter

UPDATE:

The battery dead again this morning, it's just 3 days sitting in garage. I'm going to dealership this weekend to check it out
Old 01-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

velvethammer is a continually helpful membervelvethammer is a continually helpful member
i looks like corrossion on the red battery terminal was the prob...took apart and cleaned with a metal brush and reattached....started charging using a trickle charger and bam it worked.

thanks for all the help
velvethammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Regional Forums / All Together Now > Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)