Watermelon Juice - the next great automotive fuel? - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Deity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Watermelon Juice - the next great automotive fuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoBlog
Corn as a source for ethanol has its problems. While there are a number of backers, there are real issues that need to be addressed, including (but not necessarily limited to) the huge amount of corn required to brew large batches of the alcohol fuel and the large quantities of water needed in the process. A new alternative is just now popping up that may offer at least a partial solution: watermelon juice.

According to Discovery News, 360,000 tons of watermelons are left to rot and spoil each and every year as farmers leave between 20 and 40 percent of their crops on the ground. Why? It seems consumers just won't buy watermelons that don't look quite as attractive as their siblings, whether that's due to an odd shape, smaller size or minor animal damage. Researchers from the United States Department of Agriculture in Lane, Oklahoma, have found that its possible to create ethanol from these unwanted watermelons. We've heard about this potential biomass before.

Though there's only enough watermelon juice available to brew 2.5 million gallons of ethanol (total ethanol production will top 9 billion gallons this year), researchers indicate that the tasty nectar can be used to displace up to 15% of corn or molasses, cut down on water usage and supply needed nitrogen to the mix.

College Station, Texas-based company Common Sense Agriculture, LLC is reportedly working on a prototype plant to produce ethanol from waste watermelons. Company President Jim Rausch points out:

"This is not going to replace corn. In that sense it will remain a niche source of biofuel. But unlike algae biodiesel or cellulosic ethanol, it's a right now thing. There's no new technology that needs to be developed to make it economical."
Watermelon Juice - the next great automotive fuel? — Autoblog

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 07:43 PM
My.is Captain Kangaroo

Location: With Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer at the Coffee Shop.
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Watermelon juice? Maybe for a Caprice.

©2006 my.IS

'02 Lexus IS300 MSM 5AT LSD - RIP
'08 Chevy Silverado 4x4 LS2 Swap - SOLD
'13 Subaru BRZ Limited 6 Spd - SOLD
'11 Mercedes-Benz E350 Black - SOLD
'07 Porsche Cayman S 6spd - SOLD
'03 Corvette Z06 - FOR SALE
'09 Lexus ISF - NEXT :)

"I don't always drive cars, but when I do. I prefer the IS300. Stay in third gear my friends."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Übercargeek

Hey, if it works and will alleviate some of the corn food-versus-fuel issues, why not?

Industry Editor, Moderator, All-around Car Nut and the official my.IS Grandpa
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Guru

corn was never the best ethnol fuel source. American politicians love it because it protects the corn growing regions. The most efficient should win.

Quote:
"He is not gay, he's married"

"Oh please! Its right up there with 'He's not gay, he is in a fraternity'"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > my.IS Roundtable

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page