REPORT: Chrysler dropping lifetime powertrain warranty to five-year/100,000 miles - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Deity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

REPORT: Chrysler dropping lifetime powertrain warranty to five-year/100,000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoBlog
Back in 2007, Chrysler sent something of a shockwave through the industry by announcing a new lifetime powertrain warranty program for nearly all of its cars and trucks. At the time, we wrote "the only fly in the ointment is that the new warranty applies to the original owner and is not transferable." Once the vehicle had been sold, the warranty reverted to a standard three-year/36,000 mile affair. According to the automaker, that minor nitpick caused a load of confusion amongst its buyers.

But there's new word from the Pentastar faithful over at Allpar that Chrysler is dropping its lifetime powertrain coverage in favor of a more conventional five-year/100,000 mile plan that's fully transferable from one owner to the next. The new warranty will reportedly cover all Chrysler, Dodge (minus the Sprinter van) and Jeep models and extends to the high-performance SRT models, fleet sales and police cruisers as well vehicles the old lifetime program didn't cover.
REPORT: Chrysler dropping lifetime powertrain warranty to five-year/100,000 miles — Autoblog

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Guru

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Its logical, i think. Afterall, most companies do the same.

Quote:
"He is not gay, he's married"

"Oh please! Its right up there with 'He's not gay, he is in a fraternity'"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:37 AM
My.is Captain Kangaroo

Location: With Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer at the Coffee Shop.

Always figured there was something shady about their Lifetime Powertrain Warranty.

Not much of a difference maker for the original new car buyer, who is going to buy and keep a Dodge for 5 years? They finally looked at the other side on how to sell their pre-owned vehicles, so the used-car buyer will be satisfied.

Hopefully this will help them sell some cars.

©2006 my.IS

'02 Lexus IS300 MSM 5AT LSD - RIP
'08 Chevy Silverado 4x4 LS2 Swap - SOLD
'13 Subaru BRZ Limited 6 Spd - SOLD
'11 Mercedes-Benz E350 Black - SOLD
'07 Porsche Cayman S 6spd - SOLD
'03 Corvette Z06 - FOR SALE
'09 Lexus ISF - NEXT :)

"I don't always drive cars, but when I do. I prefer the IS300. Stay in third gear my friends."

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Technical Poseur

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JDOG- View Post
Always figured there was something shady about their Lifetime Powertrain Warranty.

Not much of a difference maker for the original new car buyer, who is going to buy and keep a Dodge for 5 years? They finally looked at the other side on how to sell their pre-owned vehicles, so the used-car buyer will be satisfied.

Hopefully this will help them sell some cars.
My parents? They have a 95 Intrepid, original owners, 260K+ miles. My brother drives it at college.

They had a 1988 Dodge Dakota V6 5spd Sport up until maybe 3 years ago? When they donated it to a church camp that uses it around the camp. My mom was up there on a quilting retreat a month ago and said it was still being used.... 200k+ miles

1996 Chrysler Cirrus with 196k miles. My grandpa bought it new and my dad drives it every day.

1998 Dodge Dakota 5.2L V8, 160k+ miles My dads primary truck for fishing ect...tows with it all the time.

2005 Ram 5.7L 13k miles....for Fishing trips to Canada or if several his friends want to go with him around here. Hence the low mileage.

Chrysler builds good products if they are well maintained, which my parents vehicles always are. MOST people who buy domestics how ever feel that its a cheap piece of crap not worth maintaining. As such they only do oil changes and dont touch anything else until it becomes a problem. That was a nice thing about working at VW, people did their maintenance and didnt question it because they valued the vehicle.

Quite a few people who buy cars like a $12,000 Cobalt also tend to not have the money to put into maintenance thus leading to higher failure rates.

Poster, I mean poster. What have I done?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
My parents? They have a 95 Intrepid, original owners, 260K+ miles. My brother drives it at college.

They had a 1988 Dodge Dakota V6 5spd Sport up until maybe 3 years ago? When they donated it to a church camp that uses it around the camp. My mom was up there on a quilting retreat a month ago and said it was still being used.... 200k+ miles

1996 Chrysler Cirrus with 196k miles. My grandpa bought it new and my dad drives it every day.

1998 Dodge Dakota 5.2L V8, 160k+ miles My dads primary truck for fishing ect...tows with it all the time.

2005 Ram 5.7L 13k miles....for Fishing trips to Canada or if several his friends want to go with him around here. Hence the low mileage.

Chrysler builds good products if they are well maintained, which my parents vehicles always are. MOST people who buy domestics how ever feel that its a cheap piece of crap not worth maintaining. As such they only do oil changes and dont touch anything else until it becomes a problem. That was a nice thing about working at VW, people did their maintenance and didnt question it because they valued the vehicle.

Quite a few people who buy cars like a $12,000 Cobalt also tend to not have the money to put into maintenance thus leading to higher failure rates.

Isn't that the case for any automobile though?

Quote:
Quote:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 04:27 PM
My.is Captain Kangaroo

Location: With Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer at the Coffee Shop.

Aside from the RX-8 yes.

©2006 my.IS

'02 Lexus IS300 MSM 5AT LSD - RIP
'08 Chevy Silverado 4x4 LS2 Swap - SOLD
'13 Subaru BRZ Limited 6 Spd - SOLD
'11 Mercedes-Benz E350 Black - SOLD
'07 Porsche Cayman S 6spd - SOLD
'03 Corvette Z06 - FOR SALE
'09 Lexus ISF - NEXT :)

"I don't always drive cars, but when I do. I prefer the IS300. Stay in third gear my friends."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Technical Poseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Isn't that the case for any automobile though?
Sure is, read my supporting argument for why Domestics tend to fail though. Imports also have better PR departments.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
Sure is, read my supporting argument for why Domestics tend to fail though. Imports also have better PR departments.
Do you feel that people don't take care of domestics because they're cheap? I mean Get inside an 08 Chevy and it's a racket. We have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and we've babied the thing.

Quote:
Quote:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Technical Poseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Do you feel that people don't take care of domestics because they're cheap? I mean Get inside an 08 Chevy and it's a racket. We have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and we've babied the thing.
I feel, despite the actual quality, domestics have an image as cheap and unreliable. People tend to treat them as such. Perception is everything. Same thing with Hyundai, While Hyundai now builds extremely excellent vehicles they have problems with perceived quality issues. Their lower price also brings in a demographic that also typically has less money to spend on vehicle maintenance thus leading to greater problems in the long run.

Hyundai requires a certain level of maintenance to carry the warranty. From what I have seen as an adviser is that the vehicles that are maintained do not have issues where as the vehicles that are maintained dont see the same failure rates.

If I now relate this to VW, with say transmissions for example. VW never *requires* fluid replacement because they use a mineral based fluid that holds up to extended life cycles. As such maintenance cannot be blamed on the failure. In the case of say a 2001 Jetta with a 2.0L SOHC and automatic transmission if the clutch packs fail it is a known problem but the failure rate was not high nor widespread enough to warrant a recall or warranty extension. It is also not a failure that fluid change would have prevented. People also perceive the quality of a Volkswagen to be higher whether it actually is or not. The price is also generally higher for a comparable product so it generally draws a more well read and wealthier demographic (not to be read as rich people but some one making 60k a year is wealthier than some one making 25k) People that fit that demographic generally perform repairs immediately and perform maintenance as recommended by the manufacturer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > my.IS Roundtable

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page