User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Übercargeek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Metaklett: extreme steel 'Velcro'

Will extreme steel 'Velcro' change the face of cars?
by Jonny Lieberman - Autoblog

In cars, Velcro is good for fastening your garage door clicker to the sun visor and... that's about it. But, some Velcro-inspired German engineers have come up with a version of the noisy fastener that could change all that. Meet Metaklett. Inspired by Velcro, Metaklett is made up of tiny steel hooks and loops that fasten to one another. Like Velcro, two pieces of Metaklett can be fastened to each other and then unfastened without any special tools. Oh, and one square meter of Metaklett can support loads over 77,000 pounds at temperatures up to 1,472 degrees Fahrenheit.

Unlike glue, Metaklett will never melt. And since it has such high heat tolerance, it can be used anywhere in a car, or even on roadways to hang signage or help reinforce bridges.

One automotive application might be to hang exhaust components, which routinely get up and over 500 degrees. Similarly, Metaklett could be used to mount objects around manifolds, even in turbocharged cars which get really hot. Imagine using the stuff for engine mounts, where you could literally drop an engine in just a few seconds. Plus, you could just 'Velcro' the headers to the exhaust pipes.

Or how about body panels? If a Metaklett mounted body panel gets dinged or twisted, we could see just peeling it off and replacing it with a new one. No tools needed. We should point out while Metaklett can support 77,140 pounds in the direction of the two pieces of material, it can "only" hold a perpendicular load of 15,500 pounds. So Hummer H2 drivers, keep on rolling. We kid, we kid.

Will extreme steel 'Velcro' change the face of cars? — Autoblog

And here's the original story that inspired the above Autoblog write-up:
Extreme steel 'Velcro' takes a 35-tonne load - tech - 04 September 2009 - New Scientist

Industry Editor, Moderator, All-around Car Nut and the official my.IS Grandpa
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 01:57 PM
truth versions only

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhi4 View Post
Like Velcro, two pieces of Metaklett can be fastened to each other and then unfastened without any special tools. Oh, and one square meter of Metaklett can support loads over 77,000 pounds at temperatures up to 1,472 degrees Fahrenheit.

Unlike glue, Metaklett will never melt. And since it has such high heat tolerance, it can be used anywhere in a car, or even on roadways to hang signage or help reinforce bridges.

One automotive application might be to hang exhaust components, which routinely get up and over 500 degrees. Similarly, Metaklett could be used to mount objects around manifolds, even in turbocharged cars which get really hot. Imagine using the stuff for engine mounts, where you could literally drop an engine in just a few seconds. Plus, you could just 'Velcro' the headers to the exhaust pipes.

Or how about body panels? If a Metaklett mounted body panel gets dinged or twisted, we could see just peeling it off and replacing it with a new one. No tools needed. We should point out while Metaklett can support 77,140 pounds in the direction of the two pieces of material, it can "only" hold a perpendicular load of 15,500 pounds. So Hummer H2 drivers, keep on rolling. We kid, we kid.

Ok call me a skeptic but how do you leisurely unfasten something that holds 77k pounds? especially after being exposed to the elements for a year or two?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Technical Poseur

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I just dont forsee this ever making any sort of practical appearance in the automotive industry. The whole point of velcro is that it is easy to do and undo multiple times. Why fasten something in place with a "temporary" means of attachment if ideally it would never get removed? I could however see this being good for something on the outside of a space shuttle where theyre out in space and need to set something down quick.

The other problem is this looks like it has to be lined up just so. Velcro can be slapped on any which way and still stick.

Poster, I mean poster. What have I done?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 03:21 PM
\/ Awesome \/

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kponti View Post
Ok call me a skeptic but how do you leisurely unfasten something that holds 77k pounds? especially after being exposed to the elements for a year or two?
That was my thought as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPoop View Post
This is the future of engine technology. There is a replacement for displacement, and it's called efficiency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > my.IS Roundtable

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page