Green Goes Bad: LED Traffic Lights Can't Melt Snow, Cause Accidents - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Deity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Green Goes Bad: LED Traffic Lights Can't Melt Snow, Cause Accidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopnik
New-fangled LED traffic lights last longer, pierce the darkness more effectively and consume 90% less energy than incandescent bulbs. That's also their drawback. They're not hot enough to melt snow that sticks to their lenses, causing dozens of accidents.

LED's are, by design, more thermally efficient than incandescent bulbs, meaning more of the electricity is turned into light and less into heat. Incandescent bulbs are generally considered to "waste" electricity as a result of this thermal inefficiency, but in the case of traffic lights in northern climes there's a happy benefit, the "waste" heat melts snow so, you know, people can see the lights.

Police departments across the northern United States are noticing an uptick in accidents related to snow-packed LED traffic signals. Whereas incandescent bulbs melt the snow, the LED units cannot and the snow blocks all the light. The problem happens during heavy, wet snows with high cross winds, and can persist as long as the temperature hasn't raised to naturally melt the snow (or road crews clean the lights by hand).

Why motorists are dumb enough to take this as an indication to just barrel through an intersection into an accident is beyond us. We'd think they'd be smart enough to simply treat the situation the same as a power outage, approaching the intersection as a four-way stop. Although there's no solution to the problem, although it seems a gentle heating element attached to a nifty sensor would do the job but such a device would certainly cut into the energy savings benefit from LED signals (sorry Greenies, better luck next time!). Another option? Motorists practicing defensive driving. Yeah, like that'll happen.
Green Goes Bad: LED Traffic Lights Can't Melt Snow, Cause Accidents - Traffic Signals - Jalopnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Technical Poseur

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

BS, you are taught in drivers ed that if a semaphore has failed it becomes a 4 way stop.

Poster, I mean poster. What have I done?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Deity

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
BS, you are taught in drivers ed that if a semaphore has failed it becomes a 4 way stop.
That's the thing, they're on but you can't see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:33 PM
truth versions only

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
The problem is you may be able to see your light on as green, but the guy coming cannot tell cos his is covered. He comes to a stop, thinks you will too and since he got there first, he takes off. You don't even try to stop and t-bone him.

The author oversimplified the situation with accidents. What I think is just cos snow has covered the lights facing east and North does not mean the West and South lights will be covered. Even if they were, does not mean the winds won't help remove the snow from at least one direction. Either way, the guy who has a working light will probably obey it, and the rest will use the stop and go method, mayhem ensues.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Technical Poseur

When I approach and ready to depart a 4 way stop I always make sure its very clear the cars coming from other directions are showing intent to stop. I have had some one run a stop sign right in front of me before. If some one coming shows no intent to stop, stay still and wait for them to pass.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 04:01 PM
truth versions only

True but what happens when there is a curve on the 4 way cross street with trees in the middle and snow falling, you are already going through when another moron on his cell phone comes around the curve, sees green lights and plows through
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Technical Poseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kponti View Post
True but what happens when there is a curve on the 4 way cross street with trees in the middle and snow falling, you are already going through when another moron on his cell phone comes around the curve, sees green lights and plows through
What happens when a meteor falls from the sky just grazing the light partially knocking the snow off but the water in the lake isnt frozen so geese fly past the intersection and....yeah yeah. Point is IF your side of the semaphore is obstructed you need to watch and wait for cross traffic. Once they have shown clear intent to stop then you may proceed.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Banned

Back from the dead

Quote:
I hear ya, but name one person that's not reading this thread that would actually do that and if you know any they'd be counted on one hand. 99% of the US don't know how to freaking drive.

- Greg '03 BO SD 5-spd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricK
BMWs are built for f0**ers who appreciate an engaging driving experience. Lexus cars are designed for anal retentive people who feel the feedback from the road is a nuisance instead of a bonus.
I'm a f#$%&r then
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Deus Vult

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGregski View Post
99% of the US don't know how to freaking drive.
This.

I've seen, and almost been hit, by ignorant r-tards running through 4-way stops even though the lights on all sides were blinking red. Hell, I've almost been hit by people at intersections where the lights were working. Sometimes I feel it's safer just to sit at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottycameron View Post
What kind of poor ass, food stamp collecting motherf*ckers still drive RWD Corollas? Seriously, this is like being in a time warp, people still buy these things...i mean people with real jobs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > my.IS Roundtable

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page