wierd clunking noise from under the car when moving - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2004, 02:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Frequenter

ZoOyoRktaCticAl is an unknown at this point
wierd clunking noise from under the car when moving

right after i turn on the engine and start the car moving in reverse or drive, the car make a slight (or sometimes loud) clunking noise that seems to be coming from either the brakes or the transmission. i cant tell because its subtle sometimes and frickin loud other times.

anyone else have this problem ? it seems to occur only within the first 5 minutes that i start the car.

btw, i have an 02 e shift.

thanks

eugene
ZoOyoRktaCticAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2004, 11:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cone Killer

Roundtable Panelist 2005 ToyDrive Participant 2006 ToyDrive Participant
METEORO is an elite community memberMETEORO is an elite community memberMETEORO is an elite community memberMETEORO is an elite community memberMETEORO is an elite community memberMETEORO is an elite community memberMETEORO is an elite community memberMETEORO is an elite community memberMETEORO is an elite community memberMETEORO is an elite community memberMETEORO is an elite community member
Sounds like you are talking about the brakes. If so, it is normal, Lexus uses a floating caliper desing. When you first depress the brakes, they make that noise.
All my lexus' have done it.

2006 IS350 Blue Onyx|Black Interior|Navigation|18" wheels|6000K HID|Joe Z Intake|HKS Drop In Filter|Tanabe Cat Back|OEM Rear Spoiler|PIAA Superrozzas
Previous - 2002 IS300 Solar Yellow
'04 & '05 SEFL SCCA Solo II -D Stock Champion

Want to know what I think about the New IS 350/250....read about it.
http://my.is/forums/f43/new-ride-drive-handle-265815/
METEORO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 05-26-2004, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Frequenter

hmm.. tested it out today.. im not even stepping on the brakes when this occurs. upon closer inspection it seems as if the car whirrs, sounds a lot like clunking though. this happend after i got the car moving in drive (about 4 seconds after it started moving forward)
Old 05-30-2004, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Deity

my.IS Supporter 2006 ToyDrive Participant
DonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community member
does this usually happen when you go to drive your car after it has sat for awhile?

does it happen when you put the car in drive and slowly drive off its a clunk and a bit of a "errr" noise?

does it also happen when you brake (this usually makes the "err" noise more noticeable/drawn out/speed up)

it sounds unsettling, but the general consensus is that this is a normal characteristic of this car.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Aficionado

Poker Tournament Player
scottc25 is an unknown at this point
If you have had the car sit for a while then start it up and drive it, then it's the transmission. Completely normal. I have this as well.
scottc25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 05-31-2004, 01:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

goku is an unknown at this point
I have that same problom, Not sure if it is a problom.
goku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-01-2004, 01:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Frequenter

well, its pretty much as doncorleone stated.. sounds like shit but i guess it cant be helped.. thanks though
Old 06-03-2004, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

zyates is an unknown at this point
I've had my used 2002 IS300 sportcross for about a month and have been concerned because I hear that eaxct thing. Usually after the car has been sitting for awhile. When I back out of my driveway in the morning for work I put the car in drive, go a couple of feet and "clunck". It's a hard sound to discribe. ZY
zyates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-04-2004, 07:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sidewinder is an unknown at this point
Question too?

When I park on a steap hill or driveway and put on the parking break, I feel the car roll back about 1-2 cm and it makes a creek noise sometimes. I'm thinking its the breaks, but I just got the car in Feb'04. Is this just the type of breaks?
I try to pull the parking break harder but doesnt seem to help as much.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 09-28-2005, 10:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

TO_IS300 is an unknown at this point
Hi, I have purchase my used 02 IS for about 4 months now. I have exactly the same problem. I didn't occur to me that this noise would be a cause of concern when I bought it becase I was so excited about the car. Anyway I have taken my car to the dealership for this problem. After 3 hrs of waiting the service dept rep brushed it off as a brake problem. I wasn't satisfied so I checked with the sales rep who sold me the car and he was kind enough to test it out with me. He too reconized that this is abnormal and he had consulted their so call "master technician". Their conclusion was that it was the electrical system of the car calibrating, and that there is nothing that they can do about it. Again that left me unsatisfied but I had to leave due to all the time already wasted. Sorry for the rant but has anyone been able to find out further what the cause of this problem and the remedy may be? Thanks in advance to helping out.

Eric
TO_IS300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 10-04-2005, 03:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fiend

whitehorse is an elite community memberwhitehorse is an elite community memberwhitehorse is an elite community memberwhitehorse is an elite community memberwhitehorse is an elite community memberwhitehorse is an elite community memberwhitehorse is an elite community memberwhitehorse is an elite community memberwhitehorse is an elite community memberwhitehorse is an elite community memberwhitehorse is an elite community member
my 02 is having the same prob. i took it to the dealer, after 1 day they said it was normal, abs system clunk when u initiate the system. and there is nothing they could do to fix it.
whitehorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 10-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Deity

SeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community member
Mine has done that since day one. I just know it's normal. No worries.
SeattleSheila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 03-07-2006, 01:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

shhinson is an unknown at this point
My '03 has been doing this since I remember...in the morning, backing up, and turning...clunkclunk!! I maybe get one more clunk on my first turn (depending on how fast I am trying to get to work)
shhinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 03-13-2006, 12:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

moorevisual is an unknown at this point
i always thought it was the u joint and it was not a big deal. like it's not used to going in the reverse direction so much so when you do back up, it just gives that noise. hard to explain, but i never worried about it
moorevisual is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 03-18-2006, 10:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lurker

That Kid is very well likedThat Kid is very well likedThat Kid is very well liked
OMG.. I thought I was the only having that problem. I have the same problem. I just recently bought an '02 IS300 at the dealership. Whenever I back out of my driveway I hear a clunck sound as well. Thats the first thine I noticed. I know I have a 30 day grace period with the dealership. So, I'l bring it up and I'll come back and let you know wat they said. Takecare guys.
That Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)