Trouble Code Correlation? - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

280zx2by2 is an unknown at this point
Trouble Code Correlation?

A little back story, Im rebuilding a 2003 IS300 that was wrecked on the front end. The ECU box took a little damage as a result the electronic throttle was not working, hooked up the OBD2 scanner then watched my TPS sensor readout. It was reading 100% resistance signal (im guessing thats an open circuit?) Until I finger fucked the wiring of the ecu and then it went back to the correct level and electronic throttle came back.

Proceeded to clear codes, drove the car, car was fine. Get back and pull the codes and all of the throttle position codes are all back. My guess is the damaged wiring temporarily worked its way to an open circuit for a second.

My question is if one element of the system is taken out (say the TPS signal) would the engine throw all of these codes? I would figure it would just throw TPS P0123.

These are le codes.

P0123 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69): Signal too High
P2123 - Accelerator Position Sensor (G79): Signal too High
P2135 - Throttle Pedal Sensor 1 / 2 Correlation
P2138 - Accelerator Position Sensors (G79) / (G185): Implausible Correlation

Thanks for any help you guys may have.
280zx2by2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
jasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community member
This car uses drive by wire up until about 70% throttle. If either the TPS or APPS signal was lost, the car would go into limp mode and the car would hesitate before ~70% throttle. Usually when I hear both sensors on the throttle body are throwing DTC's, then it most likely points to a issue in the wire loom(harness) or issue with the ECU. 100% resistance is equivalent to an open circuit. Each of these sensors have dual redundant signals, so if one of them is lost, the car goes into a default mode so it is still drivable. Since you are getting "signal too high or out of range" faults, then I would carefully inspect and ring the wire with a meter between the ECU pinouts and sensors themselves. So, no, I wouldn't think there's a correlation other than a wiring/ECU issue, in my opinion.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm4444 View Post
This car uses drive by wire up until about 70% throttle. If either the TPS or APPS signal was lost, the car would go into limp mode and the car would hesitate before ~70% throttle. Usually when I hear both sensors on the throttle body are throwing DTC's, then it most likely points to a issue in the wire loom(harness) or issue with the ECU. 100% resistance is equivalent to an open circuit. Each of these sensors have dual redundant signals, so if one of them is lost, the car goes into a default mode so it is still drivable. Since you are getting "signal too high or out of range" faults, then I would carefully inspect and ring the wire with a meter between the ECU pinouts and sensors themselves. So, no, I wouldn't think there's a correlation other than a wiring/ECU issue, in my opinion.
But if they throw dual redundant signals... Wouldn't that mean there is a correlation? Basically one aspect of the TP system going out, causing the rest of the components throwing DTC's?
Old 04-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
jasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community member
Based on my diagnostic manual, Toyota labels these codes as such....
P0123-Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High Input
P2123-Throttle/Pedal Position-Switch "D" Circuit high input
P2135-Throttle/Pedal position - A/B voltage Correlation
P2138-Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1/2(Throttle Position Sensor D/E) Incorrect Voltage Correlation

When you are getting all four of these codes, the DI section states there is an open or short, the sensors themselves, or the ECM. 3 of the 4 codes can relate the loss of E2, which is your sensor ground. So, if there was an issue with the TPS, it would not throw 2 DTC's related to the APPS. What I would do is get a helper and verify your wiring is not pinched or damaged by using a meter and jostling the engine wire loom to see of you lose your voltage reference or ground. Make sure each sensor is getting their 5 volts(blue/yellow stripe wire on both sensors) and are grounded via E2 which is the solid brown wire. I do not think you have two bad sensors. It's either wiring or ECU and it may take some time to ring the wiring. This is just my take based on what I've found.

Last edited by jasonm4; 04-18-2012 at 03:17 PM.
jasonm4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 04-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm4444 View Post
Based on my diagnostic manual, Toyota labels these codes as such....
P0123-Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High Input
P2123-Throttle/Pedal Position-Switch "D" Circuit high input
P2135-Throttle/Pedal position - A/B voltage Correlation
P2138-Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1/2(Throttle Position Sensor D/E) Incorrect Voltage Correlation

When you are getting all four of these codes, the DI section states there is an open or short, the sensors themselves, or the ECM. 3 of the 4 codes can relate the loss of E2, which is your sensor ground. So, if there was an issue with the TPS, it would not throw 2 DTC's related to the APPS. What I would do is get a helper and verify your wiring is not pinched or damaged by using a meter and jostling the engine wire loom to see of you lose your voltage reference or ground. Make sure each sensor is getting their 5 volts(blue/yellow stripe wire on both sensors) and are grounded via E2 which is the solid brown wire. I do not think you have two bad sensors. It's either wiring or ECU and it may take some time to ring the wiring. This is just my take based on what I've found.
Thank you very much for the info, I know the issue lies in either my ECU or the wiring directly atop the ecu.

Again thank you sir.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lurker

98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member
i got the engine code P2138 Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1/2(Throttle Position Sensor D/E) Incorrect Voltage Correlation

swapped out the tps for a new one.got the same code a day later.you think its a wiring problem or ECU?
98 VVTi SC300,Wet 100 Shot of NOS,Front LS400 BBK Calipers painted gold,Goodridge stainless steel braided brake lines,Blacken Emblems,Polished Intake,Tanabe Springs,8k Hid's 6k fogs,Tranny cooler w/fan,EXE Konvex Front 19x8.5,Rear 19x9.5.
14.1@96mph on NOS
NA-T-4" intake,Borg Warner 83-75,Stainless steel manifold,Tial 38mm WG,2 Blitz BOV,Aeromotive FPR,850cc,Twin in tank Walbro fuel pump,FFIM,AEM standalone,Aem Wideband,HKS Cam Gear,Blitz SBC i-D boost Controller(Need to Tune)
98$c300vvti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 05-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98$c300vvti View Post
i got the engine code P2138 Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1/2(Throttle Position Sensor D/E) Incorrect Voltage Correlation

swapped out the tps for a new one.got the same code a day later.you think its a wiring problem or ECU?
If you replaced the throttle position sensor, then you replaced the wrong sensor. P2138 is for the accelerator pedal position sensor as noted in the posts above. Also listed as 22060 in the diagram below. Also, after changing the throttle position sensor, you have to make sure you set it right because it's adjustable and very sensitive. You can't just slap it on there and tighten the two screws. See below, the APPS is the one attached to the throttle cable.
2002 IS300: OEM Engine & Fuel (FUEL INJECTION) Replacement Parts

Old 05-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lurker

98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member98$c300vvti is an elite community member
double post
98 VVTi SC300,Wet 100 Shot of NOS,Front LS400 BBK Calipers painted gold,Goodridge stainless steel braided brake lines,Blacken Emblems,Polished Intake,Tanabe Springs,8k Hid's 6k fogs,Tranny cooler w/fan,EXE Konvex Front 19x8.5,Rear 19x9.5.
14.1@96mph on NOS
NA-T-4" intake,Borg Warner 83-75,Stainless steel manifold,Tial 38mm WG,2 Blitz BOV,Aeromotive FPR,850cc,Twin in tank Walbro fuel pump,FFIM,AEM standalone,Aem Wideband,HKS Cam Gear,Blitz SBC i-D boost Controller(Need to Tune)

Last edited by 98$c300vvti; 05-30-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: double post
98$c300vvti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)