Is speed sensor and abs sensor the same sensor? - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

jrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community member
Is speed sensor and abs sensor the same sensor?

I did my searches for flashing TCS and solid ABS light. this means one of my speed sensors is bad right according to the forum. I was looking up the part online and noticed "Brakes - Anti-lock brakes - Rear/front speed sensor" so...should I get this or should I get "Electrical - Powertrain control - Vehicle speed sensor"?

The brakes feel a little mushy and when I step on the pedal quickly it makes a weird shuddering noise and feel for a split second. With that in mind I'm leaning towards a new ABS sensor.

I have no CEL by the way and am fixing to go to a Toyota dealer to have them tell me which side is going bad. Just want a heads up on how much this lemon of a car is going to cost me.

So far
-Pass window not rolling down
-Driver front wheel wont align properly
-Cd player skips
-Tcs flashing solid ABS
-CEL just barely came on after the 3rd day of owning this car. Got it read and pep-boys said its a loose fuel cap or leak in the fuel system.
95 Subby Leggy 2008-10

---02 Lexus IS300 2010-Present--
jrg5066 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lurker

SilverfoxIS is an elite community memberSilverfoxIS is an elite community memberSilverfoxIS is an elite community memberSilverfoxIS is an elite community memberSilverfoxIS is an elite community memberSilverfoxIS is an elite community memberSilverfoxIS is an elite community memberSilverfoxIS is an elite community memberSilverfoxIS is an elite community memberSilverfoxIS is an elite community memberSilverfoxIS is an elite community member
Did you buy this from a dealer or a private party?
TEIN Springs/TOM'S Front brace/Megan Racing Traction Rods/Tanabe Sways/JIC's Strut w/ custom Red Anodize/SRT Intake/Megan Racing Header,Y-pipe/Tanabe Super Medallion Exhaust Cat-Back/HKS Cam Gear/ZEX 100-Shot/Linkage Ground Kit/TRD Spoiler/Black Housings & Fogs
SilverfoxIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 04-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Poseur

Roundtable Panelist
-Tom- is an elite community member-Tom- is an elite community member-Tom- is an elite community member-Tom- is an elite community member-Tom- is an elite community member-Tom- is an elite community member-Tom- is an elite community member-Tom- is an elite community member-Tom- is an elite community member-Tom- is an elite community member-Tom- is an elite community member
There are 4 ABS sensors, an ABS module and a Vehicle Speed Sensor. All of which could cause your problem. Spend the $115 getting it diagnosed at a Toyota dealership.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

jrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community memberjrg5066 is an elite community member
I bought it from T1 Autobahn in Alhambra. I traded in my own 95 wagon which was plagued with little quirks they probably didn't find out about till I left. lol. I was aware of the Trac/ABS, after talking about pricing and agreeing and signing they mentioned a little accident that looked like happened in the rear. Anyways I would have taken it to my own mechanic to get it inspected but I traveled all the way down from the Fresno area to get this car. Basically the only thing that caught me off guard was the wheel alignment problem and the CEL that recently came up, oh and the cd player.

I signed all types of paperwork and declined some document that allowed a cooling off period of 2 days or a certain ammount of miles which wouldnt even cover a one way trip back home. It would have costed me an additional $200something bucks if I agreed. I just figured it was more paperwork and needless additions dealerships try to sell you.

@Tom
Thats exactly what I was planning on doing. Thanks for giving me a heads up on the pricing.
95 Subby Leggy 2008-10

Old 05-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

By george i've got it!

ANSWER:
Got it diagnosed. You will get 2 codes. One will tell you there is a problem w/ the abs system the other will tell you what side. Paid the $129 at the toyota dealership to get it read. They quoted me $600 for the part +$120 for the labor.

Turned around and bought the abs speed sensor from the junkyard for $100 and replaced it myself. NOTE: If you replace it and see that the abs and trac light is still there have heart! It wont go out until you take it out for a spin.

Degree of difficulty 2/5. 1 being taking of a wheel and 5 doing a full engine overhaul.
95 Subby Leggy 2008-10

Old 10-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lurker

Dr.FRM is an elite community memberDr.FRM is an elite community memberDr.FRM is an elite community memberDr.FRM is an elite community memberDr.FRM is an elite community memberDr.FRM is an elite community memberDr.FRM is an elite community memberDr.FRM is an elite community memberDr.FRM is an elite community memberDr.FRM is an elite community memberDr.FRM is an elite community member
Had the same problem. But I went to a mech and he cleaned my sensor located by where the air intake is (goes into the intake arm) and the cel went away. The abs light and flashing tc is still there for me. Once the cel went away the on,y code I got was front left side abs sensor. (Before it was also saying 3 sensors on the abs.. And he was like not possible all 3 go out same time so we figured. Out it must be something common..)
Dr.FRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)