Replacing Low beam headlight - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

gxg82810 is an unknown at this point
Replacing Low beam headlight

Hey guys, I've been searching around, and I know this has been asked in one form or another, but I'm still not clear on some things. I have a 2007 IS250. The driver side low beam light "appears" to be out. I say "appears" because when I first turn on the lights, it turns on for a brief second, then goes out. So my questions are - is this a bulb problem? Also, how do you replace this bulb? The owner's manual provides information on replacing the headlight high beams and the front parking lights, but for the low beam headlights, it says to "contact your Lexus dealer." Is it really that hard to replace this bulb? (i.e. taking off the front bumper and the entire headlight assembly).
gxg82810 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 12:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Stark911 is an unknown at this point
Yeah, unfortunately your headlight bulb just died. It is extremely easy to change and you do not need to take off bumper nor the headlight housing. All you need to do is take off all the covers from the car to expose the air filter, the whole front side of the car and the area where you pour your window wiper fluid. In other words.... to expose both headlights from the back. After you have removed all covers to expose all areas where you are gonna work on, I suggest you take off the air filter housing. Un clamp all the... clamps... i think there are 4. Take off cover and the air filter as well. Remove entire housing by remove 2 bolts (use ratchet) that need a 10mm socket. 1 is easy to remove and the other will need an extending arm to get to. You can also unplug the mass airflow sensor so you can remove the tube that was connected to the air filter housing by loosening the clamp that holds both tubes. Next, locate the housing of the low beam lights which is the one farthest left and unhook the metal wire that is keeping the cover shut. After removing entire cover, twist the connector that connects the bulb and it has a marking of direction to fasten it so of course twist on opposite direction to remove. Next, the bulb is held into position by 2 wire hooks. Just press on one of them and slide it out of the hold position. Same for the other. The bulb should come right off. Next just install the new bulb and do all the steps again but backwards. If you also change the other (driver side), you can remove (not a must but it helps a lot) the washer fluid tube using the same 10mm socket. After just moving it aside and out of the way (tube), you can do the same steps as you did for the passenger side headlights.

I know these steps seem long but it is just my wording that makes it seem that way. It is very easy and I know you will know how to do it right when you get to it. I showed steps for removing both headlights bulbs and hope it helps. I have heard of people been able to remove bulb without removing air filter but it is up to you. If you have small hands and you think you can change bulb without removing air filter housing than do so. Hope this helps and if you need additional help, I will gladly reply to your questions.
Stark911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 12-30-2010, 04:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

lextacy350 is an unknown at this point
in other words

1. cover clips
2. covers
3. 10mm for windsheild wiper hose (just pull to disconnect)
4. top of air filter box
5. bolt for air filter box and just lift and pull aside. (no need to remove)
6. undue the clip on the back of headlight cover. and the rest is easy.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

gxg82810 is an unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark911 View Post
Yeah, unfortunately your headlight bulb just died. It is extremely easy to change and you do not need to take off bumper nor the headlight housing. All you need to do is take off all the covers from the car to expose the air filter, the whole front side of the car and the area where you pour your window wiper fluid. In other words.... to expose both headlights from the back. After you have removed all covers to expose all areas where you are gonna work on, I suggest you take off the air filter housing. Un clamp all the... clamps... i think there are 4. Take off cover and the air filter as well. Remove entire housing by remove 2 bolts (use ratchet) that need a 10mm socket. 1 is easy to remove and the other will need an extending arm to get to. You can also unplug the mass airflow sensor so you can remove the tube that was connected to the air filter housing by loosening the clamp that holds both tubes. Next, locate the housing of the low beam lights which is the one farthest left and unhook the metal wire that is keeping the cover shut. After removing entire cover, twist the connector that connects the bulb and it has a marking of direction to fasten it so of course twist on opposite direction to remove. Next, the bulb is held into position by 2 wire hooks. Just press on one of them and slide it out of the hold position. Same for the other. The bulb should come right off. Next just install the new bulb and do all the steps again but backwards. If you also change the other (driver side), you can remove (not a must but it helps a lot) the washer fluid tube using the same 10mm socket. After just moving it aside and out of the way (tube), you can do the same steps as you did for the passenger side headlights.

I know these steps seem long but it is just my wording that makes it seem that way. It is very easy and I know you will know how to do it right when you get to it. I showed steps for removing both headlights bulbs and hope it helps. I have heard of people been able to remove bulb without removing air filter but it is up to you. If you have small hands and you think you can change bulb without removing air filter housing than do so. Hope this helps and if you need additional help, I will gladly reply to your questions.
Awesome info, thanks! You walked me right through it, and it only took a couple of minutes. And yeah, once I looked closer, I realized that the cover said "Low Beam Headlight." Anyway, it was a little bit of a tight fit, but was able to get in there without much problem. Thanks again.
gxg82810 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 01-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Stark911 is an unknown at this point
You are welcome, that's why we are here to help each other out. If you want to change the daytime running lights, they will be next to the HID housing. You probably already knew that but just a little FYI.
Stark911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 09-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

RedREGA is an unknown at this point
There are probably tons of people who saw this and got the help needed and split but after reading through lots of threads that were helpful I just want to say a big THANK YOU to the guys who are helping us noobs out.

My dealer told me just one HID bulb would cost $453 and labor is $100/hr. I just ordered a replacement pair for $35 from a top rated eBay seller. The guidance in the posts above were great.

Too bad I didn't read some of the other threads. Before I went on eBay and got that awesome deal I had bought an incorrect halogen bulb. I found this out after pulling one bulb out and facepalming, but with the help from your posts I was able to remove that bulb and get everything back in place pretty quickly. Just a tip other noobs like me, if you lights auto level then you have factory HID bulbs. The stocks are Phillips Xenecon D4S 42402 bulbs. I ordered the same ones but Toshiba's which after some quick research were just as good apparently (I won't really know until I put them in have them for a while).

Last edited by RedREGA; 09-23-2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling
RedREGA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 09-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

RedREGA is an unknown at this point
@ Stark BTW I didn't see the daytime running lights? Did you mean in the same enclosure or in the enclosure with the high beams. And by running lights did you mean the parking lights mentioned in the manual? If so, then I did change that while I was in there so my time removing stuff wasn't a total loss while I wait for my new bulbs to get in.

Last edited by RedREGA; 09-23-2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: clarify
RedREGA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 09-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lurker

yoteru is dangerously close to banishmentyoteru is dangerously close to banishmentyoteru is dangerously close to banishmentyoteru is dangerously close to banishmentyoteru is dangerously close to banishmentyoteru is dangerously close to banishmentyoteru is dangerously close to banishmentyoteru is dangerously close to banishmentyoteru is dangerously close to banishmentyoteru is dangerously close to banishmentyoteru is dangerously close to banishment
Quote:
Originally Posted by lextacy350 View Post
in other words

1. cover clips
2. covers
3. 10mm for windsheild wiper hose (just pull to disconnect)
4. top of air filter box
5. bolt for air filter box and just lift and pull aside. (no need to remove)
6. undue the clip on the back of headlight cover. and the rest is easy.
Thanks, this helped alot
yoteru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 01-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

wturino is an unknown at this point
Drivers side only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark911 View Post

Hi. I know this may sound stupid but if I just want to replace the lowbeam HID light on the drivers side, is it safe to assume that all I have to remove is the 10mm bolt for the windshield washer cavity? I took a look, and it doesn't seem that I can reach the low beam light (far right). I had the person working at NAPA Automotive look at it and he said I have to take off the drivers side front left off and recommended I had a mechanic do it. However, everything I read says otherwise. Just to be clear, I have a 2007 IS 250 AWD with HID lights. The drivers side low beam has gone out. I do not want to pay $230 for the bulb at Lexus and then another $100 for the labor. Are you able to advise?

Thanks, W
wturino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 01-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
jasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wturino View Post
Hi. I know this may sound stupid but if I just want to replace the lowbeam HID light on the drivers side, is it safe to assume that all I have to remove is the 10mm bolt for the windshield washer cavity? I took a look, and it doesn't seem that I can reach the low beam light (far right). I had the person working at NAPA Automotive look at it and he said I have to take off the drivers side front left off and recommended I had a mechanic do it. However, everything I read says otherwise. Just to be clear, I have a 2007 IS 250 AWD with HID lights. The drivers side low beam has gone out. I do not want to pay $230 for the bulb at Lexus and then another $100 for the labor. Are you able to advise?

Thanks, W
It can be done without taking the bumper off, it's just pretty crammed as you already know. Yes, loosen that 10mm for the windshield washer neck to get clearance and anything else that may be easily removable. There are two clips holding the bulb in as well as a cover that needs removed. You may want to use a new gasket on the cover to avoid moisture getting into the housing. Remember to use gloves, such as latex, to avoid touching the bulb during install. Oil from our hands does shorten their lifespan. Also, depending on the age of the bulbs, you may want to put two new ones in because the new one may look different and chances are the other bulb has lost some gas. Swapping the bulb from the driverside to passengerside is a way to verify that it is not a ballast problem, even though it does sound like the bulb.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

mY350X is an unknown at this point
Passenger side Bulb?

I've been reading a lot about repacking my d4s on driver, but how can i replace the passenger side.

- i have on 06 IS350, thanks
mY350X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
jasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community member
Here are some very detailed instructions from out neighbors..

DIY Changing Stock HID Bulbs - Club Lexus Forums
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)