How to change the map light bulb . . . ? - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2007, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

tyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community member
How to change the map light bulb . . . ?

Hi everyone,

I did a quick search on this and the HOW TO fora and cannot find a similar topic.

The map light (the one between the two sun visors) was burn, does anyone can post pics. to show how this light can be changed?

Anyone know what the part no. is?

Thanks in advance.

Tommy
tyau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2007, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Altruist

Mikecolorama is an elite community memberMikecolorama is an elite community memberMikecolorama is an elite community memberMikecolorama is an elite community memberMikecolorama is an elite community memberMikecolorama is an elite community memberMikecolorama is an elite community memberMikecolorama is an elite community memberMikecolorama is an elite community memberMikecolorama is an elite community memberMikecolorama is an elite community member
it's really not that hard to do. you need to get your finger (or a screw driver) in between the plastic cover and the headliner. then you need to pull down and towards you at the same time. you'll probably feel like your're going to break it, so it will take some force to pop the clips off. once you get the tabs in front to pop out, the taps on the windshield will come off.
---------------------
Mikecolorama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 10-28-2007, 12:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Geezer

my.IS Supporter 2006 ToyDrive Participant Poker Tournament Player
bartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community member
replacing front map dome light
bartkat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 10-28-2007, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Extremist

mrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community member
Here is a listing of all the bulbs on 1st gen IS 2001 Lexus IS300 Bulb Reference
mrmonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 10-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

tyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community membertyau is an elite community member
Just got my bulb today

from the dealership, cost $2.30 + tax.

Dealer quotes about $35 with parts and labour.

Will try tonight.

Tommy
Old 10-30-2007, 11:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Done!! Thanks for all input.

After reading all the threads that have been posted, I've tried the process myself.

Took a while to pry open the cover and took a little while to took out the bulb.

Here is a pictures summary of how I've done it:

First of all, weapon of choice (as suggested in the other thread):

It is true that you only need to stick it in just a little bit. I find it is easier to push onto the two buttons, but not the empty cover since it is part of the cover you need to pry open. Also, do pry close to the little tab one at a time. Then you will see this:

Hope this picture gives you a better idea about what the small tab on the cover looks like:

There are two small legs on the bulb, took me a while and a lot of trials (pushing, pulling and swearing) to take the bulb out. Then find that you need to push the bulb in (then you will see those small legs) and then turn it about 90 degree (either way should be find) so that the small legs can go through the opening in the holder.

Here is a pic. of the bulb (sorry, not too clear):

Insert the replacement bulb in the reverse order of how I take it out, pop the coer back:

And the victory is mine!

Hope this will be easier for the next member to change their map light.

Thanks for all the helps. This saved me about $30. Checked with the dealership, this is not covered even my extended warranty is still valid.

Tommy
Old 11-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sterbz is an unknown at this point
Must be nice to pay <$3. The dealers in AZ want $6.xx minimum. Can I take the bulb to AutoZone and find a cheaper commodity replacement?
Sterbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Geezer

bartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterbz View Post
Must be nice to pay <$3. The dealers in AZ want $6.xx minimum. Can I take the bulb to AutoZone and find a cheaper commodity replacement?
I found a similar bulb at Auto Zone.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lurker

hoser813 is an elite community memberhoser813 is an elite community memberhoser813 is an elite community memberhoser813 is an elite community memberhoser813 is an elite community memberhoser813 is an elite community memberhoser813 is an elite community memberhoser813 is an elite community memberhoser813 is an elite community memberhoser813 is an elite community memberhoser813 is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartkat View Post
I found a similar bulb at Auto Zone.
i got that one too, but it sucks... its retardedly dim.
hoser813 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sterbz is an unknown at this point
Exactly...

The first thing I asked the Auto Zone worker when I bought it was, "Now I can return these if they're not adequate, right?" Got that confirmed, and first impression = too dim. Not happy.
Sterbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Geezer

I hadn't had a light since I got the car so I figured the dim light was better than nothing at all. I'm sure you can find better by looking around on the internet.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

xfsuxaklass is an unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartkat View Post
I hadn't had a light since I got the car so I figured the dim light was better than nothing at all. I'm sure you can find better by looking around on the internet.
Ditto bro that really sucks i hope it works when i replace the bulb
Old 11-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Frequenter

Altezza_TOY is an unknown at this point
what size is the bulb I tried the 168 but it didn't fit can anyone pm thanks
Altezza_TOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
jasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altezza_TOY View Post
what size is the bulb I tried the 168 but it didn't fit can anyone pm thanks
Its not a 168, its a BA9 bulb.

Http://my.is/forums/f64/is300-bulb-sizes-340791/
Old 11-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

coccanutts is an elite community membercoccanutts is an elite community membercoccanutts is an elite community membercoccanutts is an elite community membercoccanutts is an elite community membercoccanutts is an elite community membercoccanutts is an elite community membercoccanutts is an elite community membercoccanutts is an elite community membercoccanutts is an elite community membercoccanutts is an elite community member
Just search up ba9 led on ebay, you'll literally have thousands to choose from. The led boards with the ba9 attachment are pretty nice and bright. Good luck!
coccanutts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)