Dashboard and door panels melting - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
SJR

SJR is an unknown at this point
Dashboard and door panels melting

I have a 2006 IS 250. I've had it since December of 2005. I've noticed over the past few years that the interior of the vehicle has melted in spots. Pieces of the material have come off, and have left divits in the dashboard and door panels. I also noticed the material gets tacky while out in the heat.

I brought this to the attention of my service representative a few months ago. Lexus will only cover half of the cost of replacing the parts since my vehicle is out of warranty. I believe that I should not be responsible for any of the cost since this is not considered normal wear and tear. The vehicle has low mileage and is about 6 1/2 years old.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Has anyone been told by Lexus it will cover part of the cost or even none of it?

I don't understand how the interior melting after 6 years on a "luxury" vehicle is considered to be normal. I could understand if it was an old vehicle or one that is excessively used. Is this what is expected from a Lexus? This could be my first and last.
SJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Extremist

Knightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community member
Would've been a free fix if you'd mentioned it under warranty... there's a TSIB where they replace any impacted panels--
Club Lexus Forums - View Single Post - Melting dash and doors TSIB

Outside of warranty whatever Lexus does is out of goodwill, they're not obligated to fix it at all.

From the threads I've seen it appears to primarily effect people who live in VERY hot/sunny places who aren't running dark tint/using sunshades when parking outside/uncovered... like 99% of folks I've seen report this issue are in Florida, Texas, Arizona type places.
Knightshade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Addict

Contra is an elite community memberContra is an elite community memberContra is an elite community memberContra is an elite community memberContra is an elite community memberContra is an elite community memberContra is an elite community memberContra is an elite community memberContra is an elite community memberContra is an elite community memberContra is an elite community member
that document is dated dec 2 2011 and applies to vehicles 06-08 with warranties up to 48 months or 50k. so basically if you have an 06 you're screwed already because the warranty was over before that TSIB came out? lol
Contra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Extremist

Knightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community memberKnightshade is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contra View Post
that document is dated dec 2 2011 and applies to vehicles 06-08 with warranties up to 48 months or 50k. so basically if you have an 06 you're screwed already because the warranty was over before that TSIB came out? lol
Well I'm not sure there isn't an older version of the TSIB out there (the brake dust one there's at least 3 or 4 versions of, originally it only covered 06-07, then was updated for 08s, and eventually 09s, etc).... apart from that there's 06 owners who bought extended lexus warranties (which go up to 8 years from in-service date, so the oldest 06s wouldn't be out of warranty under that until 2013) that might get that repair covered as well... and probably some CPO 06s that'd also be "under warranty" still when that came out....

I agree it sucks, but they can't repair everything forever for free....if you complain to Lexus corporate and they offer to split the cost that's probably the best you can hope for if you have no warranty at all.
Knightshade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rix1974 is an unknown at this point
Same problem

I have the same problem with my dash but the dealer won't offer any type of discount. I guess it is time to trade it in.
Rix1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

nwegtr is an unknown at this point
My pass side air bag dash lid was really sticky. I removed it and took paint remover and cleaned off all the sticky paint. Once it dried I sprayed it black vinyl paint (from pep boys) and it looks new.
nwegtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

robomatt1600 is an unknown at this point
Disappointment

The old dashes had melting paint. The new dashes are turning into sticky black powder. Any touch removes part of the once soft vinyl dash. These melting/disintegrating vinyl dashes on the 07 IS are gross. It is obviously a manufacturing defect. I pointed this out to my dealer, and was told that there is no recall on the part. I will not be buying from Lexus again if this is how they handle their mistakes. If you can't design a car to withstand in the Florida heat, then don't sell it there.

If anyone knows of a spray to re-polymerize the vinyl, please share.
robomatt1600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)