Coolant spewing from reservoir - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Frequenter

AznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community member
Coolant spewing from reservoir

Alright guys, I have a weird situation. So I have to fill my reservoir about pretty much every week because I'm losing coolant. I can see that the coolant is spewing from the top of the reservoir, hence the pressure is pushing it out that way. My best guess right now is that my overflow hose is clogged and the pressure from the radiator is causing the coolant to spew from the reservoir? Help please anyone or Jason. LOL Can someone explain how the radiator works also. Where does the coolant in the reservoir go to and how does coolant from the radiator come back to the reservoir (through overflow hose? if clogged then from bottom of reservoir? causing spillage?).
AznHmongLor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Frequenter

CATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community member
Any fluid under the car? Is the operating temp normal?
Old 08-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
jasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community member
How much are you filling the reservoir? Should only be a half tank when the car is COLD. Any more than that and coolant will expel out the overflow because it has nowhere to go. Check for any kinks in the small rubber hose that hooks up to the reservoir cap or take it off and blow it out.

Basically how the system works is simple. There is no fluid movement in the rad until the coolant in the engine reaches a certain temperature, then the thermostat opens to allow the coolant to cycle through the rad from the top hose and out the bottom, back into the engine. The fluid expands when it gets hot and starts to fill the reservoir through the bottom hose on the reservoir(which is why it should only be filled halfway). When the car cools down, coolant is pulled back into the rad from the hose on the bottom of the reservoir. It's like a vacuum effect.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Extremist

rvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community member
Is there a crack in the tank, or is it coming out from the cap? Are you 100% sure that the cap is snapped on tight and that the clamp is securing the hose?

5Zigen || Apex-i || ARC Audio || B&M || BC Racing || Carson Tuned || Centerforce || CUSCO || DEI || EXPEL || Fidanza || FIGS || G2 || Greddy || JDMeyes || JIC || Karl Sport || L-Tuned || MONSTER || Optima || Outerwear || PIAA || Pioneer || PLP || SONY || SRT || Swift || TeCK Pro || Token Solutions ||TRD || Tuned Parts || UGO || WORK || VALOR || Valentine1 || VentureShield || Yokohama ||.
rvalero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Frequenter

AznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community memberAznHmongLor is an elite community member
Thanks for all the fast response from all my favorite people but yeah, all of the hoses are tight im positive but heres another thing, I see red crystals forming from the end of the tubes. I'm guessing too much pressure that some of the coolant are forming crystals?? I've been reading and it seems that a blockage of the overflow can cause coolant to spew from reservoir? The radiator cap is snapped on tight but the reservoir cap is plastic right, just snaps on not like the metal one on the radiator where it twists. The lost of coolant I'm pretty sure is from the spewing of the reservoir. Reservoir is only filled to half and when I have to refill its all the way down to none. Operating temp is normal, never overheats.

Last edited by AznHmongLor; 08-22-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
jasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community member
Red crystals are normal and is dried up coolant that keeps building up which i believe is due to the ethylene and propylene glycol in the coolant. It's possible your radiator cap is faulty and allowing too much hot coolant into the reservoir prematurely. Either that or you have a leak or blockage.

The reservoir cap is plastic and just snaps on. I would check your tubing from the rad to tank and as Rvalero said, make sure the lines are securely on. Make sure the line going to the bottom of the reservoir isn't kinked and I'd probably try a new radiator cap.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Frequenter

Thanks Jason that sounds good, probably check it this weekend. Too busy on weekdays to even have the car cooled enough to touch. I'm going to check the overflow tubing first, I'm thinking its clogged and thats making the hot coolant come from below the reservoir and spewing it out the cap. Definitely going to make sure there's no kink also cause I know that can cause it too (windshield washer nozzle had a slight problem with that). I'll report back.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Frequenter

Alright guys to better understand, I took some pictures; last picture shows the coolant crystals from the tube that goes to the waterpump I believe. Took the pictures of the car right after getting home from work, the car was still hot and there was absolutely no coolant left in reservoir, filled it 5 days ago to halfway when car was cold. Pretty sure tomorrow morning when the car is cool reservoir will still be empty, will have to fill. Help? Also would like to add that the radiator was replaced by last owner, not sure if it is OEM or not.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
I would get a new hose for the bottom rad hose and new clamps. I provided a link at the bottom for part numbers and reference.

16572A CLAMP OR CLIP, HOSE(FOR RADIATOR OUTLET NO.1)
90466-41007 NO.2 1 $9.92
90467-37005 NO.1 (07/2001 - ) 1 $6.01
90467-41002 NO.2 (07/2001 - 06/2003) 1 $5.61
96136-54801 NO.2 (11/2004 - ) 1 $9.92

2002 IS300: OEM Engine & Fuel (RADIATOR & WATER OUTLET) Replacement Parts

Where is the tubing that hooks up to the reservoir cap and goes down between the fans to expel coolant on the ground and away from the belts(#16472 in Sewell pictorial)? That's no good what you have there if nothing is hooked up to the reservoir cap.

16472 9044512078
BREATHER HOSE

2002 IS300: OEM Engine & Fuel (RADIATOR & WATER OUTLET) Replacement Parts

Last edited by jasonm4; 08-23-2012 at 05:10 PM.
jasonm4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Frequenter

Hmm, Jason I see what you're saying, the previous owner messed with it so I'm not sure what he did but the reservoir cap looks like nothing can connect to it? Probably have to get a new one of that or what? Confused now, so theres a hose that connects to that cap and expels coolant to the ground?? Deep confusion now lol.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Frequenter

CATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community memberCATscan2008 is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm4444 View Post
Where is the tubing that hooks up to the reservoir cap and goes down between the fans to expel coolant(#16472 in Sewell pictorial)? That's no good what you have there if nothing is hooked up to the reservoir cap.
This is important. Coolant will just spew all over the motor or wherever that reservoir cap is pointing!! Pop the hood at the wrong time it could be all over you.

Jason, if he is losing all of the coolant in the reservoir is the motor running hot? Or maybe the radiator cap is shot, allowing too much coolant into the reservoir?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATscan2008 View Post
This is important. Coolant will just spew all over the motor or wherever that reservoir cap is pointing!! Pop the hood at the wrong time it could be all over you.

Jason, if he is losing all of the coolant in the reservoir is the motor running hot? Or maybe the radiator cap is shot, allowing too much coolant into the reservoir?
Alright so I'm guessing now that both my caps are pretty much crap?? Let me snap a quick picture of them if I can.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
The cap on the reservoir is not the right one. It should have a nipple on it to connect a tubing that routes in between the rad fans down towards the ground. That's why you probably have a huge increase in pressure and now your lower rad hose is leaking, maybe. There should definitely be a nipple on it. See mine....

sorry for the sideways pic
Old 08-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
You're better off picking up the "kit" that includes the reservoir cap, clamps, and both tubings for around $20 or less. Maybe clean up the area around the lower rad hose clamp and it may stop once the coolant system can regulate pressures right.

16405-70130
RESERVE TANK CAP SUB-ASSEMBLY, NO.1
Old 08-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznHmongLor View Post
Hmm, Jason I see what you're saying, the previous owner messed with it so I'm not sure what he did but the reservoir cap looks like nothing can connect to it? Probably have to get a new one of that or what? Confused now, so theres a hose that connects to that cap and expels coolant to the ground?? Deep confusion now lol.
In a cooling system that is operating correctly, as the coolant expands in the hot radiator, it will empty into the reservoir. As the motor cools, the coolant returns into the radiator. The breather hose on the reservoir cap is to allow air to escape/reenter during this filling/emptying cycle.

A motor running too hot will overfill the reservoir resulting in coolant emptying out of the reservoir from the breather hose. Or, a faulty radiator cap will also allow too much coolant to escape from the radiator overwhelming the reservoir. Or the reservoir is overfilled to begin with. None of these scenarios is good. You should never have coolant escaping from the breather hose.
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)