90k Tune-Up, Wind Question, and undercarriage panels. - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
FwX

FwX is an unknown at this point
90k Tune-Up, Wind Question, and undercarriage panels.

Hey everyone. I've got just a few beginner questions, and thanks in advance for anyone that sticks around to answer a few of them.

1) I picked up my IS300 from a guy in Texas around 59k. It's at about 94k now and I'm sure I'm in desperate need of a tune-up. I've gotten oil changes religiously every 4k miles, and switched out the front break pads once. Where should I go for a 90k tune-up? I'm not made of money, but I understand the importance of getting this done. I just don't want to get "sold" on services I realistically don't need.

2) The plastic guards undernear my car are entirely F***'d up. At this point, no amount of cable ties will keep it hanging up there. Where should I go to get/install a replacement.

3) On certain occasions, I get a very loud whirling sound coming from what I think is my front-driver tire area. It sounds a lot like wind, but could very easily be someone plastic brushing against the wheel. Ideas?

Thanks in advance everyone. I hope to get more into car care and maintenance with your help.
FwX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

my.IS Supporter
anfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwX View Post
Hey everyone. I've got just a few beginner questions, and thanks in advance for anyone that sticks around to answer a few of them.

1) I picked up my IS300 from a guy in Texas around 59k. It's at about 94k now and I'm sure I'm in desperate need of a tune-up. I've gotten oil changes religiously every 4k miles, and switched out the front break pads once. Where should I go for a 90k tune-up? I'm not made of money, but I understand the importance of getting this done. I just don't want to get "sold" on services I realistically don't need.

2) The plastic guards undernear my car are entirely F***'d up. At this point, no amount of cable ties will keep it hanging up there. Where should I go to get/install a replacement.

3) On certain occasions, I get a very loud whirling sound coming from what I think is my front-driver tire area. It sounds a lot like wind, but could very easily be someone plastic brushing against the wheel. Ideas?

Thanks in advance everyone. I hope to get more into car care and maintenance with your help.

Welcome! My.is rules say that I should degrade you and tell you to search. But alas, you have found someone who has nothing to do at work but sit in their office and play online. Having said that, here are some answers:

1. You should do a search for "90K service." But I think the major piece is the timing belt. I know you can go to Toyota instead of Lexus to do this, and it would save you some money, but in reality any good shop you trust can do it for you. Be prepared to spend $400+. Its expensive. You can swap out your water pump too (because its just extra for the part, the labor is already there for the timing belt) but you dont need to. It more of a piece of mind thing if yours is working properly. I would swap out your plugs with new iridum tipped ones and maybe some fluid flushes and you should be good to go.

2. I have no idea with plastic guards. But you came to the right place, Im sure someone will help you out.

3. Our brakes make noise when making turns etc. due to the "floating" caliper design. It could be many things, so maybe you can give us more info as to what wheels you have and when it happens for us to help you out.

Welcome to my.is, please do not ricer out your car. Remember, its a Lexus.
anfro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 03-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Enthusiast

dirtyylicous is an elite community memberdirtyylicous is an elite community memberdirtyylicous is an elite community memberdirtyylicous is an elite community memberdirtyylicous is an elite community memberdirtyylicous is an elite community memberdirtyylicous is an elite community memberdirtyylicous is an elite community memberdirtyylicous is an elite community memberdirtyylicous is an elite community memberdirtyylicous is an elite community member
1. Buy all the parts at irontoad.com for the 90k service. Then take the car to a trustworthy mechanic. Or goto toyota.

2. I also need those as mine are shot and i hear alot of wind noise down there. They are expensive at the dealer.

3. In another post there are pics of a little hole down under there. On some cars they are plugged up and some cars they are not. Check to see if it is. If its not get the plug at the dealership (its cheap) and put it in.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lurker

spider9058 is an unknown at this point
anfro, you might have just solved my creaking problem. i bet its just crappy pads making the noise when i'm turning and braking
spider9058 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 03-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

my.IS Supporter
anfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community memberanfro is an elite community member
Glad I can help!
anfro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)