VVTI delete - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

VVTI delete

Is there any way to get rid of the vvti? I am having some issues with it and kinda just want to get rid of it completely. I have an AEM infinity running the engine and fuel. Could I just get some new Brian Cower cams and drop them and retune the engine like a regular non-vvti engine or is there something that I'm missing here?
If you wish to keep reading I'll explain what's going on the with the vvti as of now. But my question is above if you wanna skip this part

When the engine is cold and I start it up with the vvti oil control valve plugged in it maxes out the timing of the vvti cam and runs like hell until she get warmed up. As the temp climbs in the engine the vvti comes starts to correct its self back to 0 degrees plus or minus a bit. When it first starts its reading around 45-50 degrees. Maybe I have something wrong in the VE section of the AEM in the idle settings. Not sure but kinda want a bigger cam anyways. Just want to get rid of it all together without buying a whole new motor. This car is a weekend warrior so we don't daily it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 01:12 PM
c1L
Fiend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)

Garage
I would have another tuner look at your settings before removing vvti. these days vvti is what you want. My old motor had the vvti removed with hks 264 cams and titan cam gears. Not sure what the previous owner did to make it work though.

ProEFI / V160 IS300 742rwhp Alpha Tuned

Spring Setup: 10:1 GTE Motor, V160, Proefi128, S369SXE...

My Build Thread

ig - cillyotta

RIP MIKEY #msperformance
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 06:38 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTest View Post
When the engine is cold and I start it up with the vvti oil control valve plugged in it maxes out the timing of the vvti cam and runs like hell until she get warmed up. As the temp climbs in the engine the vvti comes starts to correct its self back to 0 degrees plus or minus a bit. When it first starts its reading around 45-50 degrees. Maybe I have something wrong in the VE section of the AEM in the idle settings. Not sure but kinda want a bigger cam anyways. Just want to get rid of it all together without buying a whole new motor. This car is a weekend warrior so we don't daily it.
So I was having this issue as well. Is your idle going up and down and having stalling issues on cold starts? I sent my tuner some startup logs and he adjusted the calibration so that VVC was disabled until the water temp reached 120F. I know the AEM tuner software pretty well so I could give you instructions on how to do it if you'd like. I can post my VVC table as well.

2002 Black Onyx IS300 5-speed w/LSD: GTE VVTi, AEM Infinity, BW S363, R154
my instagram

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:31 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

How's it run unplugged?

<--- Doesn't believe in stock vehicles
2002 IS300 VVTi GTE v161 Built single - TeCKis300's old car
1995 240sx - NASA PTD trim
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettej8 View Post
So I was having this issue as well. Is your idle going up and down and having stalling issues on cold starts? I sent my tuner some startup logs and he adjusted the calibration so that VVC was disabled until the water temp reached 120F. I know the AEM tuner software pretty well so I could give you instructions on how to do it if you'd like. I can post my VVC table as well.
Yes this is exactly whats happening. Up and down and up and down until she will eventually die or until she gets warmed up. Let me know how to disable it until the water temp gets up there. Your help is much appreciated.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrvin View Post
How's it run unplugged?
Runs ok unplugged, hot or cold.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)

If you go to the setup wizard, advanced options and select VVC you will see VVC Target Table and the option for temp is right in there. Here's mine:

This should help stabilize the idle on cold start (it's not perfect) but if it doesn't then it's probably going to need a fuel adjustment which you'll have to talk to your tuner about.

2002 Black Onyx IS300 5-speed w/LSD: GTE VVTi, AEM Infinity, BW S363, R154
my instagram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page