tt pistons and tt oem hg= bad?? - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Altruist
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
tt pistons and tt oem hg= bad??

ive been doing some research and ive been surfing on supra forums. ive read running tt pistons and tt oem hg on a na ge is bad? ppl said it would lower your compression to under 8:5:1 and would ruin your quench. some ppl even said if you run tt pistons you should run na hg. ive never heard of that and would think the na hg wouldnt hold even with headstuds? what are your guys take about running tt pistons and oem tt hg or na hg? are their any of you guys running tt pistons and oem tt hg? how long has it been holding up. also are there any guys running tt pistons on na hg? thanks

01 MSM Turbo IS300--RIP
95 BO SC300 5spd - Current Project


N.E.L.O.C

****North East Lexus Owners Club****

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/neloc-175/
tjmhillz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Virgin Magnet
 
somguy2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
           
tt pistons and tt hg = the good

it's standard protocol as far as i'm concerned, the only other option in my eye is a 1mm HKS or greddy - but you gotta pay twice the amount for them

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
somguy2u is online now  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Addict
 
stjarvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: I live where I want
Posts: 2,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
I've heard you actually end up being around 8.3/1 can't say for sure though.

Currently I've got JE 8.5/1 pistons and a GTE head gasket, everything's been running fine for 3000+ miles, but no boost yet so I'm getting around 16mpg city.

In 5 years I will have the worlds fastest IS300... because everyone else will have parted out and bought an M3.
stjarvis is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Follower
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: san diego
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Garage
its good...do it. you have an IS not a supra
just make sure that you get the pistons installed correctly



+ 2JZ-GTE IS300 +


stirlingw is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Fiend
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
You are correct about the Compression Ratio dropping. However it isn't "bad" people do it all the time and make great power. Lower compression also is safer for pump gas and boost as well.

However. Yes. You Are Correct. About everything... Including the Quench. But i suppose in the real world it really isn't that important.

The stock GTE head gasket is ~1.2-1.3mm
The stock GE head has a "recessed combustion chamber" while the GTE head does not. "The entire combustion chamber on the NA head is recessed about .025" *

so the combination you've mentioned using a thicker 2mm hg, would result in a CR less than 8.5, probably closer to 8.0:1 (that's just a guess)

Using a Stock TT HG + TT Pistons + TT Rods + GE head = a CR of 8.3:1 **

*
DaveH (NA-T guru on SupraForums)
**GE head w/ TT shortblock & HG = 8.3:1 compression?


And finally. Before you say I'm wrong.
TonyTheTiger agrees with me ... and so do Boost Logic

SOLD:
2002 GGP IS300-T
SRT 2.75 | Haltech E6X | PFS Fuel Return & Blackbox | Marlin Crawler R154 | HKS: TI-Limited, GD Max Twin Plate, DLI | VOLK Gram Light 57PRO| JIC Magic Front strut brace | AAC Carbon Fiber Rad Plate
PFS tuned! 410whp - 375 ft-lbs 13psi

Last edited by SteveM1320; 02-09-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: links didn't work
SteveM1320 is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Fiend
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjarvis View Post
I've heard you actually end up being around 8.3/1 can't say for sure though.

Currently I've got JE 8.5/1 pistons and a GTE head gasket, everything's been running fine for 3000+ miles, but no boost yet so I'm getting around 16mpg city.
if your pistons are JE 8.5:1 for the 2JZGE then you have 8.5:1.
If they're for the GTE then you have 8.3:1

And its OKAY to do. Lots and lots of people do it.
SteveM1320 is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Altruist
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
i knew ppl was runnin this set up but just wanted to see if they did anythign extra like milling the head down to flow as if it was the gte.

01 MSM Turbo IS300--RIP
95 BO SC300 5spd - Current Project


N.E.L.O.C

****North East Lexus Owners Club****

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/neloc-175/
tjmhillz is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Boostin in the 505
 
Tyler Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmhillz View Post
i knew ppl was runnin this set up but just wanted to see if they did anythign extra like milling the head down to flow as if it was the gte.
It's believed the GE head flows better so I don't think anyone would have done that

02 Onyx IS300
Tyler Cruz is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: staven, CT
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
sorry to thread jack, but a local guy is selling a 2jzge with tt pistons/rods brand new never driven.however the hg was left stock. he said tops of the pistons were CNC machined a little to lower compression more so the stock hg could be used. This was all done by a prof. engine builder.should i be concerned about the na hg still or just have a tt hg installed to be safe?

02 MSM/gte/ Garrett GTX3076R
MikeNice is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Fiend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM1320 View Post
You are correct about the Compression Ratio dropping. However it isn't "bad" people do it all the time and make great power. Lower compression also is safer for pump gas and boost as well.

However. Yes. You Are Correct. About everything... Including the Quench. But i suppose in the real world it really isn't that important.

The stock GTE head gasket is ~1.2-1.3mm
The stock GE head has a "recessed combustion chamber" while the GTE head does not. "The entire combustion chamber on the NA head is recessed about .025" *

so the combination you've mentioned using a thicker 2mm hg, would result in a CR less than 8.5, probably closer to 8.0:1 (that's just a guess)

Using a Stock TT HG + TT Pistons + TT Rods + GE head = a CR of 8.3:1 **

*
DaveH (NA-T guru on SupraForums)
**GE head w/ TT shortblock & HG = 8.3:1 compression?


And finally. Before you say I'm wrong.
TonyTheTiger agrees with me ... and so do Boost Logic
YOU ARE WRONG!

1) The stock GTE head gasket compressed thickness is = 1.35 mm
2) for TT pistons and 2mm hg CR = 8.37:1

I don't known what mean "recessed combustion chamber" term, but you can calc CR youself using real numbers from:
1) http://my.is/forums/attachments/f114...xusis300-1.pdf
2) http://my.is/forums/attachments/f114...supraturbo.pdf

My results here


Please find any mistakes?

Lexus GS300 '98 w/ 2JZ-GET - 616 Hp / 750 Nm on pump gas
qphoton is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Altruist
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Cruz View Post
It's believed the GE head flows better so I don't think anyone would have done that
here are 2 quotes from supraforums.


(quote 1
If the head is cut should the gasket thickness increase by the amount that is removed from the head over the .2mm of the stock NA gasket?

If you cut 1mm from the cylinder head, would that require use of the TT gasket(1.2mm) to maintain the correct quench/squish?


My head has been cut around .75 of a MM and I am using a TT gasket with TT pistons/shortblock. So in theory this brings my CR up to around 8.6-8.7 and the quench/squish a good bit closer to what it should be... quote)

(quote 2
In fact,I am thinking of milling my head so the combustion chamber is similar to a TT and use a TT gasket. The reason for this, is if I ever need to resurface my CR's won't change as much as if it was recessed like it is.

Although, not milling it will allow the head to live longer since there will be more material there for future removal quote)

thats why i asked the question..

01 MSM Turbo IS300--RIP
95 BO SC300 5spd - Current Project


N.E.L.O.C

****North East Lexus Owners Club****

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/neloc-175/
tjmhillz is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Follower
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GTA
Posts: 553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
I've milled my GE head by 0.025" just so it removes the step between the gasket and the bowl of the combustion chamber.. It was merely to achieve something similar to the GTE's pentroof style chamber.

Besides that, unless you are shooting for huge amounts of power (800+ WHP) and always restricted by the fuel you are using, I won't worry too much about issues with quench or whatnot. As long as the compression ratio is still in the 8's, there is negligable difference as far as compression goes, and I would recommend the TT headgasket over the GE gasket anyway. The GE gasket is pretty thin and weak actually, and it not as forgiving as the TT headgasket.

515 WHP @ 18 PSI GTX3076R Lexus IS300
1485 WHP @ 42 PSI GTX4508R '94 Supra TT
1028 WHP @ 35 PSI GTX4202R '94 Camry V6
628 WHP @ 28 PSI GTX3582R Acura Integra Type-R
Dynamotorsports Tuning
Tony the Tiger is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 01:38 AM
Patriot
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Boostville, MD
Posts: 2,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Here is my setup:
IS300 GE VVT-i Head,
IS300 GE Block,
3.4L GTE Stroker kit (pistons, rods, crank),
OEM TT HG.

Makes ~1300RWHP @ 39 PSI boost Turbo Only and over 1600with N20.

Nuff said.

TT internals + TT HG = GOOD! FOR THE GE LONG BLOCK, THIS WAS ESTABLISHED YEARS AGO!
Swift Racing Technologies is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 05:59 AM
Loyalist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 1,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Racing Technologies View Post
Here is my setup:
IS300 GE VVT-i Head,
IS300 GE Block,
3.4L GTE Stroker kit (pistons, rods, crank),
OEM TT HG.

Makes ~1300RWHP @ 39 PSI boost Turbo Only and over 1600with N20.

Nuff said.

TT internals + TT HG = GOOD! FOR THE GE LONG BLOCK, THIS WAS ESTABLISHED YEARS AGO!
TRUUF.

o3' Graphite Grey Turbo IS300 w/ 6spd swap
Going to throw a Supra tranny (V160) into your IS? Got questions? Feel free to ask me.
* * *TX2K9 & TX2K10* * *
KR4P11 is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Boostin in the 505
 
Tyler Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Racing Technologies View Post
Here is my setup:
IS300 GE VVT-i Head,
IS300 GE Block,
3.4L GTE Stroker kit (pistons, rods, crank),
OEM TT HG.

Makes ~1300RWHP @ 39 PSI boost Turbo Only and over 1600with N20.

Nuff said.

TT internals + TT HG = GOOD! FOR THE GE LONG BLOCK, THIS WAS ESTABLISHED YEARS AGO!
Well that's all you need to know right there!

02 Onyx IS300
Tyler Cruz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome