t56 magnum. tr6060 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

t56 magnum. tr6060

i have hunted, and hunted, and hunted, and cannot find the information i'm looking for. i am not wealthy and i do not have unlimited funds so to anyone who just says buy x kit that is $7k, kick rocks.

with that said. i would like to get a tr-6060 behind my 2j. before any send the thread off topic, the v160/161 will not be an option for me, r154 is also not going to be an option, and the ar5 is also out of the question.
i have been in the process of building this car for over 3 years and i have a power goal of 1200 and i want to have a manual transmission.

i have found two different sites that i can fall back onto if i can borrow money, but my overall goal is to figure out a way to get a tr6060 into the is300 for roughly 5k. i feel that is a feasible budget to do this

has anyone swapped this transmission. Grannas racing has done it, and sells a swap kit, but with the kit and clutch its right at $3900 before even sourchng the transmission:
https://www.grannasracing.com/collec...-lexus-kit-2jz

here is the best deal i can find bolting it to the block with a good clutch
TOYOTA 1JZ AND 2JZ TO T56 FULL KIT - GM TREMEC T56 - Toyota 1jz-2jz - BELLHOUSINGS & ADAPTORS

i have found online a rebuilt magnum for roughly 1600 before shipping. i would just need to figure out the shifter scenario, and that is where i am stuck.

please please please if you know of or have seen, or can help with pictures on shifter placement please post pictures. i want to see all the different ways people have fit this into their cars.

i've been hardcore researching this for going on two months

C & C Customs
owner operator
BOOST4BRAINS@GMAIL.COM

Project Monster666 IS underway. Road to The 1332hp GE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 06:05 AM
c1L
Fiend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)

Garage
Give Matt @ dedicated motorsports a call. He has this transmission and his shifter is dead center

ProEFI / V160 IS300 742rwhp Alpha Tuned

Spring Setup: 10:1 GTE Motor, V160, Proefi128, S369SXE...

My Build Thread

ig - cillyotta

RIP MIKEY #msperformance
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

they do ls swaps. the transmission isnt aligned the same as bolting it straight to the 2j

C & C Customs
owner operator
BOOST4BRAINS@GMAIL.COM

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 06:27 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)

Quote:
has anyone swapped this transmission. Grannas racing has done it, and sells a swap kit, but with the kit and clutch its right at $3900 before even sourchng the transmission:
https://www.grannasracing.com/collec...-lexus-kit-2jz
Can learn a bunch just by looking at the pics. If this kit sets the shifter location properly you can then see what you'll need. Personally, I'd probably spend a bit extra for a kit like this to save the heartburn. Looks like they moved the shifter back 3-4" from where it's bolted to the tranny.

$ 8,095.00 - Looks like for the HP range you're looking at it's 8K.

Wonder if you can get them to sell you the kit without the tranny?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 06:30 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)

It looks to me that the shifter location is dead on with the Grannas kit. You can see the custom billet shifter in the pictures. Unless you know someone with or have a GM discount or buy used, his T56 deal is pretty damn good. I feel that the aluminum driveshaft is a bit on the pricey side if anything. I wish the kit offered a steel variant.

2002 Black Onyx IS300 5-speed w/LSD: GTE VVTi, AEM Infinity, BW S363, R154
my instagram
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

i've been back and forth with grannas, and they definitely have perfected the swap no doubt. the issue. i don't have the money to just outright buy it. you can buy his kit minus the trans, but its roughly $3900 if you get the entry level clutch setup with it.

like with the rest of my car its been lots of research and parts bought piece by piece

his kit is all inclusive which is worth the money, if i just had it laying around.
the rod shop, out of australia, also offers a kit, that includes a clutch rated for my power, for a total of $2700 shipped, which is everything from block to trans, just not the rear section with shifter, or trans mount(which is something that can easily be made at home)

i can get the transmission refurbed for roughly 1900, and drop it off to get beefed up guts put in for roughly another $1000,

so that puts me in right at $4700, then i have to tackle the shifter, the 1900 tr6060 has the tail shaft used on the camaro or mustand, which is different than the viper or out the box magnum. so the grannas shifter wouldn't work. i just can't merrit spending the extra 3k just to be able to use the shifter included in the kit.

C & C Customs
owner operator
BOOST4BRAINS@GMAIL.COM

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:49 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

You already have all of the information that you need to make you're decision. You say you're okay with spending $5k, but not $7k. You can piece together everything and maybe save $2-3k doing it. If you'd like to you'll have to figure out how to make it work. Personally I would think about what my time is worth and kinda go from there. Chances are I would just pay the extra few thousand and get a transmission that I know is good and bolt it in.

What are you going to do for a rear end for 1200 hp?

My IS300 - 5.3 LSx swap and Turbo, KWv3's, bushings, sways, wheels, flares, scoops, lots of tire smoke and 620 whp and 650 torque - tons of parts and so much time.
Check out Page 3 of my "build thread" for my car currently- http://my.is/forums/f219/mitchs-ls6-...y-land-522370/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page