LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
(took Comp Turbo 2 weeks and 2 shipments to provide a restrictor -.014" - and filter)
I waited a bit over a month to receive a oil return flange from them...

This car is going to be a beast, you must post some video's when it's all done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 06:54 AM
Boostin in the 505

Garage
where are the updated pics of this thing?

02 Onyx IS300
post #78 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Guru

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

post #79 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 07:28 AM
Extremist

Quote:
Took the car on its longest drive yet - 40 mile round trip to Orlando for a Wed night Lexus/Supra meet. Driveability tuning is still going well, car drives nice except: Found that on cold starts my J&S picks up on forged piston slap and clutch rattle, then retards spark to the point where the engine stalls easily until fully warmed up. I'll have to think about a way to deal with this - otherwise just live with it.

I've tuned boosted operation to 15psi and feels good, will keep it there until some more break-in happens.
Couldn't you turn on an output such as a ground to turn on the J&S when the coolant reaches a certain temperature? Looking at the J&S wiring and instructions, the knock retard shouldn't activate until you're at 1750 RPM and below 5" of vacuum so drive at a lower RPM and load until the motor warms up. Though that's not a great solution.
post #80 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 07:48 AM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by baadhabit View Post
i saw the car last night. looked and sounded like a beast.
Seriously it was great meeting Rick , great motivation to get my car boosted, and to perhaps a 1/3 of what his beast is
post #81 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My pistons' thermal barrier coated tops are not helping their warmup time. Piston to wall clearance was set at .005", versus Venolia's recommended .0065-.0075"! I have found that with TFE coated skirts and the thermal barrier tops that clearances can be reduced, but with these pistons you will have to live with some cold slap.

And the stalling takes place around 1800 rpm when cold, just the point where the J&S cuts in.

I'm looking at using a coolant temp output from the Haltech to operate an analog switch that inhibits the knock sensors' inputs to the J&S until the pistons get some heat in them. Piston slap audibly disappears (along with J&S knock indication going away) soon after coolant temp reaches its operating point of 200 degrees or so.

I knew there would be some tradeoffs in cold operation with the forged pistons, and rough cold running makes my noisy-ass clutch rattle more (which also makes false knock indications), sort of a vicious cycle. All is good when warmed up though, so the anticipated tradeoff of "rudeness" for robustness is worth it to me. And I'm confident I can improve this condition somewhat with electronics and tuning.

After all, these cars tend to be R&D projects, right?

Rick Bowers
"Speed Costs - How fast do you want to spend?"
'02 GGP L-Tuned IS300
3.4 GE Stroker/BW EFR9180/MS3Pro/J&S/V160/Tilton/Supra 3:13/Tein/HRE
post #82 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Cruz View Post
where are the updated pics of this thing?
The pics in the first post were taken very recently - What else would y'all like to see?

Rick Bowers
'02 GGP L-Tuned IS300
post #83 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

And it was good to be at the meet with a car for a change - and meeting everyone. The Orlando posse is a good group of guys.

Kaldes, enough screwing off. Lets get that turbo on.

Rick Bowers
'02 GGP L-Tuned IS300
post #84 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Guru

post #85 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Extremist

Quote:
I'm looking at using a coolant temp output from the Haltech to operate an analog switch that inhibits the knock sensors' inputs to the J&S until the pistons get some heat in them. Piston slap audibly disappears (along with J&S knock indication going away) soon after coolant temp reaches its operating point of 200 degrees or so.

I knew there would be some tradeoffs in cold operation with the forged pistons, and rough cold running makes my noisy-ass clutch rattle more (which also makes false knock indications), sort of a vicious cycle. All is good when warmed up though, so the anticipated tradeoff of "rudeness" for robustness is worth it to me. And I'm confident I can improve this condition somewhat with electronics and tuning.

After all, these cars tend to be R&D projects, right?
Using the coolant temperature should work but to expand on your idea, have you thought about using a hobbs pressure switch instead? Connect the knock sensor to 1 terminal, the J&S to another terminal, and once there's lets say 1 lb of pressure, allow the signal to go to the J&S. You'll save an output for future R&D!
post #86 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by baadhabit View Post
rick i suspect you made it back ok
Not a problem. There may have been a concern with the rough running when I left last night - The car has only been driveable for a couple days and still needs work on the cold start/warmup tuning. Once warmed up its almost perfect.

My laptop will be my companion for a few more days.

Rick Bowers
'02 GGP L-Tuned IS300
post #87 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Follower

I didn't know you were over at Waterford last night, I would have met you there. Good luck with the stalling issue, were you able to verify that the J&S is pulling timing causing the stall? Also Rick any luck dropping my parts with the welder?

2001 GS300, 2JZGTE-VVT-i, TRD LSD, PTE 6667, SP400 Stage Gear Vendors 6 Speed, Titan 264 VVTI Cams, Motec M800

2001 Lexus GS300 / GTE / Motec / Daily Driver / 10.2 @ 137 MPH

1997 TT 6 Speed Supra Precision 76mm / AEM 800+ RWHP

2006 Viper Coupe, Black, 1800 miles
post #88 of 170 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Patriot

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Any updates? Damn i still need to check this thing out, i know keep saying that but classes in Orlando and work is getting in the way. Still need a return setup too.

-Adam

2004 IS300 MSM 2JZ-GTE VVT-i Single 61mm 5 Speed
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport LB

Precision's Boosted Ride of the Month
post #89 of 170 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

Had a setback Sunday - with cold start/ warmup & street tuning almost done and everything working well, drove it to the shop, hitting 16 psi a couple times and feeling good. I did no work on the car while there, but when I was ready to leave it started but didn't want to stay running - All sensors working, crank and cam signals good, timing still spot on - indication was way too rich. Dorked around with it and all I managed to do was foul the plugs.

With new plugs (old ones uniformly sooty) , found that injector pulsewith is almost down to minimum but the wideband is still reading way rich. This reminds me of when my cam gear lost several teeth and cam timing was way off. Cam timing is also spot on, however. There are no funny noises from the engine. The coils are still making big fat purple sparks across .035" gaps.

I've done some basic checks this week but need to back away from this for a while. Next is compression/leakdown checks and I'm dreading those results. Hoping for an EMS problem, but troubleshooting is taking a mechanical direction. I'm pretty much a pessimist in these situations - that way, things can only be better than I think.

I doesn't help that time to work on this thing is limited, with customer work and the "real' job taking priority. Not to mention that I was sure that the car was very close to being "finished". I'll stop whining now.

Bigkahuna, come up and sit in my car with me while I bounce up and down in the driver's seat, whip the steering wheel back and forth, and make motor noises.

Rick Bowers
'02 GGP L-Tuned IS300
post #90 of 170 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 06:15 AM
Follower

That will really blows if thats the case Rick, I'm hoping you are wrong. At least you can always put your old motor back into it, nothing wrong with that one. Someone has to be the first to test out new parts like your one off stroker kit / LS1 coils. If your suspicions are correct this sort of thing comes with the territory when you're the guinea pig.

2001 GS300, 2JZGTE-VVT-i, TRD LSD, PTE 6667, SP400 Stage Gear Vendors 6 Speed, Titan 264 VVTI Cams, Motec M800

2001 Lexus GS300 / GTE / Motec / Daily Driver / 10.2 @ 137 MPH

1997 TT 6 Speed Supra Precision 76mm / AEM 800+ RWHP

2006 Viper Coupe, Black, 1800 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page