Rick's 3.4 Stroker IS - Page 12 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #166 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yep, I never did get the oil pressure up by cranking but when it finally did start I had instant pressure. I did check the wall clearances after machining and set the ring gaps myself - the Venolia pistons I use are set at a fairly large clearance. Didn't give the cylinders any extra oil before all this cranking - I really think that the fuel washdown was the culprit. When it finally did start, the engine smoked badly from the beginning, even before it had a chance to warm up and expand the rings out to their max size and wear the walls.

Like I said, I'm ready to get this thing going again.

Rick Bowers
"Speed Costs - How fast do you want to spend?"
'02 GGP L-Tuned IS300
3.4 GE Stroker/BW EFR9180/MS3Pro/J&S/V160/Tilton/Supra 3:13/Tein/HRE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Rick's back. Registered as mojoperf now after difficulty with the old registration.
Finally running. The third set of pistons/rings was the charm, as the ones provided by my stroker kit builder never did work. For this one I took the liberty of installing .260 wall wrist pins as well as Total Seal Steel rings. Still Venolia forged stroker pistons to my calculations/spec, 8.5 compression for use with stock length rods. I don't know if I will ever go E85, as 1. none available within 40 miles 2. Fuel system maintenance looks troublesome, 3.I don't need more power as traction control kicks in lots with 265/35-18 Michelin pilot super sports.
I love this setup! Now with a ported head w/ +1 mm valves, HKS 272 cams, OSGiken triple, and a BW EFR9180.
For the latest startup I filled the oil pump with STP and got instant oil pressure off the starter.
Working on the MS3 Pro tune, all good except for some tricky places in the just off-idle areas, probably difficult due to the cam and big throttle body.
More later, I'm off to a meet.
post #168 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 07:16 AM
Follower

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Glad to see this thread is back. Any updated pics?

01 GGP- 200,000+ miles daily
93 anthracite Supra- project car

post #169 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'll start over with a build thread with pictures soon.
A priority is getting the fuel gauge to work - almost ran out of gas today. I have installed an IGF simulator, working on a circuit to take the MAP sensor output and scale it to mimic the stock MAF signal.

2002 GGP Ltuned, 3.4, V160, 3.13 Torsen, OSG Triple, HKS272, MS3, Tein, HRE
post #170 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 07:10 AM
Patriot

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoperf View Post
Rick's back. Registered as mojoperf now after difficulty with the old registration.
Finally running. The third set of pistons/rings was the charm, as the ones provided by my stroker kit builder never did work. For this one I took the liberty of installing .260 wall wrist pins as well as Total Seal Steel rings. Still Venolia forged stroker pistons to my calculations/spec, 8.5 compression for use with stock length rods. I don't know if I will ever go E85, as 1. none available within 40 miles 2. Fuel system maintenance looks troublesome, 3.I don't need more power as traction control kicks in lots with 265/35-18 Michelin pilot super sports.
I love this setup! Now with a ported head w/ +1 mm valves, HKS 272 cams, OSGiken triple, and a BW EFR9180.
For the latest startup I filled the oil pump with STP and got instant oil pressure off the starter.
Working on the MS3 Pro tune, all good except for some tricky places in the just off-idle areas, probably difficult due to the cam and big throttle body.
More later, I'm off to a meet.

Awesome Rick. Glad to hear its up and running again.

-Adam

2004 IS300 MSM 2JZ-GTE VVT-i Single 61mm 5 Speed
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport LB

Precision's Boosted Ride of the Month
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page