R154 THE Ultimate Auto to Manual Swap Info Thread - Page 4 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Follower
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dominican Republic
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
sorry guys, im just curious if anyone can point me onto where top purchase these parts online?
im outside the US and to get the part here from a LEXUS dealership its almost twice as i've seen around.
Thnx and g'luck with the swap...

'01 Matador Red Mica
2JZ-GTE vvti swap, 1/4 mile 12.604 on street tyres ... 457whp on pump gas @ 1 Bar
Presicion, Tial, Greddy, Walbro, Autometer, HKS, Aeromotive, ACT, Fidanza, R154, TRD, Enkei's RPF1, Cusco and much more
Xvector is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Extremist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 5,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
           
white_is is offline  
post #48 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:05 AM
Fiend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Marin (north bay)
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
marlin re-did there site recently

there are a lot of people on the forums here that have had their tranny rebuilt by them...i'm sure they can chime in

in a few months i'm taking mine to them, i've talked to them on the phone...and they said they haven't had anyone return that they have built a tranny for...and they make the tranny pretty bullet proof

i've only heard good things

- 2002 GGP MT -
GR8Dane is offline  
 
post #49 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Extremist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 5,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
           
Hey LO how's the car driving? how's the clutch feel?

i think my plans for boost are going to be an R154 with a Aristo GTE eventually. i just like to see how yours feels now.

Also as far as Marlin goes, the link i posted says they require a core exchange. so should i try to find a decent shape R154 and send it to them to see how much that one would cost? or buy one that is blown and send it to them to be rebuilt? i guess it would be better to call them and talk to them huh? lol.
white_is is offline  
post #50 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Fiend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Marin (north bay)
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_is View Post
Hey LO how's the car driving? how's the clutch feel?

i think my plans for boost are going to be an R154 with a Aristo GTE eventually. i just like to see how yours feels now.

Also as far as Marlin goes, the link i posted says they require a core exchange. so should i try to find a decent shape R154 and send it to them to see how much that one would cost? or buy one that is blown and send it to them to be rebuilt? i guess it would be better to call them and talk to them huh? lol.
yeah...call and ask them to make sure
i have a blown one that i'm going to send them, but i just have to get the money to do it (1200 + the shipping of your tranny both ways)

if there are parts from toyota that they need to order...they'll put them in and charge you

ps...anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, as i don't have the money quite yet, i haven't covered all the angles on this

- 2002 GGP MT -
GR8Dane is offline  
post #51 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Extremist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 5,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8Dane View Post
yeah...call and ask them to make sure
i have a blown one that i'm going to send them, but i just have to get the money to do it (1200 + the shipping of your tranny both ways)

if there are parts from toyota that they need to order...they'll put them in and charge you

ps...anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, as i don't have the money quite yet, i haven't covered all the angles on this
well see this is what i was thinking. if i'm going to have to pay 1200 + to have it rebuilt then why spend more up front. as in why pay 500 for a decent r154 when i could pay 200 for a blown one. does that make sense?

i have a friend that works at some kind of parts store that deals with used parts and he said he could get me one. i'm just waiting to here back from him, but he said it would most likely be pretty cheap.

i just didn't know what the difference would be in sending them a decent one and a blown one. or how they do the core thing with the one that i linked above. but i'm sure if i call them all my questions will be answered! lol thanks for the help though.
white_is is offline  
post #52 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SacTown, CA
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by IScorpion View Post
Well, that sucks. I live in a county where I need to pass inspection. Would you happen to know what the codes are that came up? If these are codes which will keep me from passing inspection I will have to scrub the swap plans (sucks even more, since I already started purchasing parts).

Side note. I keep hearing everywhere that the R154 is also used in the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice. I know there is parts sharing between GM and Toyota, but I was surprised...

Solstice/Sky 5 speed manual (man, that is a long extension).


R154 from this thread.
hey, well this questions probably been asked before but i'm looking into these tranny's too but i heard that on some of these tranny's, you have to extend the shifter farther... from the top one, it looks too far for our cars... the second one look perfect but then most of the tranny's i run into have the shorter extensions... which tranny's are those?... are those from the supras?
moswantedaltezza is offline  
post #53 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Blue Devil
 
LO 21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 4,671
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
           
Garage
yea the top one is off a pontiac that recently began using an R154, but their shifter housing is totally wrong for the IS.

the bottom one is the one i used, its a post-'94 soarer/chaser tranny from japan. they pop up every so often and a decent one will run you $1200-$1600 (and if it doesn't come with the 1j bell housing then you'll need that as well obviously).

the more common R154s you said you've been running into are off the '86-'92 mkIII supra. those will run you $300-$800, and will work with NO shifter housing modification as long as you use the '92 SC300 shifter.

my buddy that i made this thread with (DC5ROY) finished his swap today, so he'll probably be posting pictures of how a regular R154 with the SC shifter sits

©2006 my.IS
IS300 '01 - Spectra Blue Mica | ELIXIR | SRT 2.75 Turbo | V161 6-speed | Volk GT-M | Tein CS |

IS F '12 - Ultrasonic Blue Mica | ISS Forged Exhaust | WALD Diffuser | Ventross Trunk | Lexon Roof Spoiler |
LO 21 is offline  
post #54 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Blue Devil
 
LO 21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 4,671
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
           
Garage
and i had forgotten to post pictuers of my finalized center console
probably will just get a momo or sparco shift knob but besides that it turned out great. shifter location and height came out perfect after modding the shifter a bit.




©2006 my.IS
IS300 '01 - Spectra Blue Mica | ELIXIR | SRT 2.75 Turbo | V161 6-speed | Volk GT-M | Tein CS |

IS F '12 - Ultrasonic Blue Mica | ISS Forged Exhaust | WALD Diffuser | Ventross Trunk | Lexon Roof Spoiler |
LO 21 is offline  
post #55 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SacTown, CA
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 21 View Post
yea the top one is off a pontiac that recently began using an R154, but their shifter housing is totally wrong for the IS.

the bottom one is the one i used, its a post-'94 soarer/chaser tranny from japan. they pop up every so often and a decent one will run you $1200-$1600 (and if it doesn't come with the 1j bell housing then you'll need that as well obviously).

the more common R154s you said you've been running into are off the '86-'92 mkIII supra. those will run you $300-$800, and will work with NO shifter housing modification as long as you use the '92 SC300 shifter.

my buddy that i made this thread with (DC5ROY) finished his swap today, so he'll probably be posting pictures of how a regular R154 with the SC shifter sits
Nice!!!... how much did it cost him in total... I know that it cost you a lot to do yours... and thats a little over the top for me... lol
moswantedaltezza is offline  
post #56 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Blue Devil
 
LO 21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 4,671
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
           
Garage
a lot? haha relative to what?

how much are you looking to spend then? averaged out, i ended up getting every single part for about half of what it retails for if you get it from the dealership. my tranny costed me 1200 with a shifter. and i ended up getting a great deal on my 6-puck which costed me wayyy less than half of what a twin disc woulda costed me. the only thing on my swap that coulda been cheaper is the tranny, which if you get a normal one for 600 and add a $200 shifter, mine wasn't an exaggerated amount more ;-)

if you're not prepared to spend at least 4 grand, probably closer to 5, i wouldn't do the swap yet.
it's quite an easy project to do if you have someone that knows what they're doing, but there's TOOONS of parts. look over that list in detail and maybe put it in a spreadsheet so you can properly plan out your swap, what parts you have left to gather, and how much it might all cost you.

©2006 my.IS
IS300 '01 - Spectra Blue Mica | ELIXIR | SRT 2.75 Turbo | V161 6-speed | Volk GT-M | Tein CS |

IS F '12 - Ultrasonic Blue Mica | ISS Forged Exhaust | WALD Diffuser | Ventross Trunk | Lexon Roof Spoiler |
LO 21 is offline  
post #57 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SacTown, CA
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 21 View Post
a lot? haha relative to what?

how much are you looking to spend then? averaged out, i ended up getting every single part for about half of what it retails for if you get it from the dealership. my tranny costed me 1200 with a shifter. and i ended up getting a great deal on my 6-puck which costed me wayyy less than half of what a twin disc woulda costed me. the only thing on my swap that coulda been cheaper is the tranny, which if you get a normal one for 600 and add a $200 shifter, mine wasn't an exaggerated amount more ;-)

if you're not prepared to spend at least 4 grand, probably closer to 5, i wouldn't do the swap yet.
it's quite an easy project to do if you have someone that knows what they're doing, but there's TOOONS of parts. look over that list in detail and maybe put it in a spreadsheet so you can properly plan out your swap, what parts you have left to gather, and how much it might all cost you.

as of right now, i'm just looking into it... I dont have the funds nor the brains to do this right now... haha... so i'll gather up my knowledge first and maybe later down the road I might just make this my project... its just all very interesting to me right now... but yea... i'm diggin it a lot tho...
moswantedaltezza is offline  
post #58 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Blue Devil
 
LO 21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 4,671
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
           
Garage
well now you know where to come to for all your R154 swap info in the future ;-)

©2006 my.IS
IS300 '01 - Spectra Blue Mica | ELIXIR | SRT 2.75 Turbo | V161 6-speed | Volk GT-M | Tein CS |

IS F '12 - Ultrasonic Blue Mica | ISS Forged Exhaust | WALD Diffuser | Ventross Trunk | Lexon Roof Spoiler |
LO 21 is offline  
post #59 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 06:36 AM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 1,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
lo21 what did you do to make your shifter sit so low?
Installer88 is offline  
post #60 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Follower
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Well guy's I finally finished. I will be writing my review later because I'm at work. But if I had to say something right now it would be, WOW, is this tranny noisy!

2001 Lexus IS300- R154 w/LSD-2JZGTE VVTI-GT3788R (In the works!)
2012 Lexus CT200H F Sport
DC5ROY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome