Lexus IS Forum banner

R154 swap...all you need to know is here!!!

163K views 541 replies 117 participants last post by  01 SolarYellow 
#1 ·
r154 swap

Can some body hit me on AIM, I got alot of questions, some to basic to post here :-? Thanks :D

#286 ·
shit well, i told the shop to try a GTE flywheel with the GTE pressure plate. can someone makesure that this will work with the 1jz bellhousing?

#287 ·
bump, can someone clarify this with me? apparently i got a call back from the shop and the 2jzgte flywheel, with the GTE pressure plate won't work. didn't get an exact reason why, but i THINK it might be because of the 1jz bell housing.

can someone please tell me what they are using to make it work?!?!?!?!?!

#288 ·
Derrick, Not sure if this will help.. but I was going over some files that I have save, the r154 list consisted of:

.used R154
.new 1JZ bellhousing
.r154 clutch + flywheel (New HKS GD twin plate clutch (includes flywheel) = 1800)
.washers/c-clips
.new clutch fork
.new slave cylinder
.new 1-piece aluminum driveshaft
.used 92 sc300 shifter
.modified 5spd tranny mount
.tranny access plate on the bell housing

#289 ·
yes i know all those, parts, but i'm not going with the HKS GD twin plate clutch, which comes with everything, so i have to get all the parts separetly.

i just talked to Jeff at TE though, and he cleared things up, he told me that the 1jz flywheel and 1jz pressure plate is what i need and will fit in the bell housing. hopefully a stock 1jz pressure plate mated with an rps street disc can hold my power

#290 ·
so got my car back from the shop, drives great. still a few little minor bugs here and there but all together, its pretty good and i feel safe with it hodling my power. feels very weird, and i DEFINITELY liked the way my w55 felt, this feels very sloppy getting into gears, but does its thing.
since ihad a hard time getting to know exactly what i needed from here, i'll do a more thorough write up on whats needed, especially if you don't want to pay 1500 for a clutch setup.

for you r154 guys.. did you guys have aproblem with the sc300 doglegged shifter hitting the little chrome ring bezel on the center console? i feel like my reverse and second gear are interfered by the center console. what did you guys do? and secondly, who makes a short shifter for this, or if i were to get one custom done, where can i do that?

Reactions: somguy2u
#292 ·
mine hits it a little bit, you can bend it out of the way (get some elbow grease and some roids) or you can cut it and weld it back on at a different angle. theres a C's shot shifter on ebay for the mark 3 supra - it will need to eb cut and welded but it works great, as it shoudl for $350.

#291 ·
congrats D....looking forward to the write up with all the exact parts so people can figuire out the swap a bit easier! :approve:

#293 ·
you mean, you can bend the shifter outta the way? that looks almost impossible considering the girth of the damn thing. so no one modified the center console for it to fit? and also, where can i get a custom modified C's short throw, or if anyone knows anyone that can make one?

#300 ·
That's a common problem with the R154. Call up a guy on the west coast named Marlin Crawler. They are pretty good guys and know more about the R154 than most. Ask them what you need to do for your issue. BTW, they charge $900 to do their magic on the R154 and it's supposed to be bullet proof after that ;)

#299 ·
i haven't noticed much vibrations, except in 5th gear, but i figure, if you're gonna have vibrations, you're gonna have them in all gears

#301 ·
^I remember MYIS300GTE saying that thrust washer failure was the cause? He also had Marlin Crawler hook him up. Def contact Marlin, wenger828...and I'll be doing the same. His business phone is: (559) 252-7295

#302 ·
ahh, i would.. but then that would mean my car would have to sit out more. i'm gonna fix some minor bugs like the shifter hitting the area around the chrome bezel on the center console, it isn't allowing it to get into 2nd freely and reverse. then i'll see how it is, 1st gear just pops out random sometimes, feels like as if i dont really have it fully engaged, but just enough so the gears don't grind.

i also noticed a vibrating sound coming from the left'ish side when ever i make a left turn, could it possibly be the tranny hitting the passenger side of the tunnel? isn't the passenger side the area that usually needs to be banged out for clearance?

i'll snap a pic and post pictures up of the underside of the car after this.

#304 ·
ohhhh ok that makes sense. i get it around there too, but more specifically when i'm in 5th gear, which i find weird.

#306 ·
I was looking at some R154 transmissions to do a swap today and I ran across a couple and didn't know which one to get. Do I neet to get the one with ABS or the one without ABS? Thanks
My inclination is to say get the one with ABS, however, I don't think there is a difference in the Trannys, I think the difference was in the ECU. I don't think there is anything in or on the Tranny that makes it ABS specific. BTW, how much are they going for?

#312 ·
I already have one. There is one available in Huntsville for $400 or so.

#313 ·
i dont evne know if mine was with ABS. oh well, it works though. im lookin for another one to get built by cmarlin crawler

#316 ·
Got mine from Champion Toyota in Houston. $300+shipping.

Reactions: Kaiyin
#318 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.