User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:46 PM
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Bought a replacement steering wheel column cover that has an integrated 52mm gauge pod- will update on the quality. Its to hold me over while I figure out something more 'civil'. I was checking out PLX's iMFD setup with the Kiwi2-- looks like I would be able to run the Torque app, show all my OBDII data in a tablet I want to put in the OE nav housing, and also put the PIDs in Torque to display aftermarket PLX sensor data along with it- so in one app, I could have lots of gauge options and functionality, and can turn it off or even hide it.

I really don't want to get two PLX controllers and sensors to make this happen though, at least not at the moment, so 'semi ricy' (IMO) 52mm gauge pod on steering column here I come.

TokenSolutions is moving to an in-house forum and facebook. Google TokenSolutions forumer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:59 PM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)

Gauges are another good point! Mine are very civilized if I do say so myself

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
post #78 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

I just have my wideband in the dash, I love my lc1 with xd16. Other than that my evc5 for a boost guage . I always felt pods were pretty dicey, I never saw a 52 column mounted pod though.

I could never decide if I wanted any more than I already have

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon

post #79 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 10:57 AM
Guru

I think a good alternative is gauges installed within the OEM Nav housing with functioning opening/closing. Also if going single DIN, there are some clean 3 gauge setups in the blank a single DIN creates- but I can't imagine looking down that far while driving.

PLX hasn't gotten back to me yet.

blkdout, I haven't seen your gauge setup, post some pics in this thread!

TokenSolutions is moving to an in-house forum and facebook. Google TokenSolutions forumer.
post #80 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:16 PM
Extremist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)

Quote:
but I can't imagine looking down that far while driving.
Out on track, when you hit a straight. You adjust your seat position. Then check your gauges. The straights are the most boring part of the track. It's when you settle down and make sure the car's still running right. When you're doing corners, there's no time to be checking gauges. I drive by sound. I can't spare the time to look at the tach.

I need water and oil temp gauges before spring. Probably oil pressure too.
post #81 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:40 PM
Cherisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSportD View Post
I think a good alternative is gauges installed within the OEM Nav housing with functioning opening/closing. Also if going single DIN, there are some clean 3 gauge setups in the blank a single DIN creates- but I can't imagine looking down that far while driving.

PLX hasn't gotten back to me yet.

blkdout, I haven't seen your gauge setup, post some pics in this thread!
Haha! You pretty much described my setup!
I need better pics

recently found this pic I forgot existed

Most recently I've been considering widening the stock 17" wheels and putting them back on.
More side wall rubber... These were the most civilized 18's I could find:

-Hiral
post #82 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 01:53 PM
Extremist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)

Looks good. I'm going to be getting some light 17x8's before spring. I'm thinking 235 /40r17's star specs for track season.
post #83 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 03:44 PM
Cherisher

^ nice. I'm leaning towards just sending the stockers to Weldcraft to widen the rears 2" and the fronts 1"... I'm too picky when it comes to wheels so I never settled on any aftermarket style.

Originally, I was going to widen the 18's but they're no longer available so there's no backup plan with those.

-Hiral
post #84 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

Quoted: 44 Post(s)

i too have wanted to go to widened stock wheels as i mentioned. i have also takena liking to the ssr gtv03, but i told myself no more fancy wheels after my advans are all bent up. i keep going with stockers. 235/45 on a sportcross rear makes the speedo bang on too!

but i am with you, there has never been an aftermarket wheel that won me over and i had to have. I like those wheels you have on there though, look a lot like stock.

what i don't like is the skinny sidewall of the 245/40 on a 17, it looks weird on the car, makes the whole wheel look small. - i am being nitpicky.
i like the gauges, but i have my stero, i was looking to put in a zotac zpac gen 2 computer (about the size of an iphone) to run the AEM tuner software and setup a gauge dashboard to display on the avic 940bt video auxiliary input, also have it as a constant resource for tuning. though i always have my sony ux 280 in the car with me

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
post #85 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 07:00 PM
Guru

Quote:
run the AEM tuner software and setup a gauge dashboard to display on the avic 940bt video auxiliary input
Its awesome how fast tech has advanced. Seems like about 8 years ago it was crazy expensive and bulky to do a car computer, now I'm looking at a tablet form factor to run navi, audio, emulate XP for the EMU, run android for the MS tuning software or OBDII data via torque app, data log EMS and track performance, G-force dispaly-- all kinds of stuff I thought only super big builds or OEMs could do is not becoming economical. Its all really coming together.

PLX got back to me guys, their iMFD does not support AEMnet. IMO bad move as AEMnet is open, not proprietary. Waiting to hear back if they support Innovate. As much as I want to move on from my Innovate, its already in and I can sell the gauge. The PLX boxes look antiquated, not water or dust proof and I have no idea where to stash them. I'd jump to their camp if they were packaged like Innovate or AEM.

post #86 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Guru

Quote:
Haha! You pretty much described my setup!
I like the symmetry with the HVAC controls.

I also like the gauge clusters guys have been customizing to fit where the OEM felt dash thing is- it can look very OEM and in a good vantage point-- but could be visually "loud" for some as well.

post #87 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 07:27 PM
Loyalist

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Nice set up Blkdout, I love the old school kicker equa. As for widening the stockies, you might wanna look at some old school gram light 57 Rcs. For the price, it might be worth a shot.

Sailor, I remember that HKS camp system used to be pipe dream.

SoCal Crew
02 onyx MT last project boost
ae86 kouki coupe in the works again
TokenSolutions
post #88 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Cherisher

With all the options, I struggled with myself on where to mount the gauges for the better part of a month. Another two weeks to source parts and tools after the decision was made... The end result was the best sounding stereo I've ever put together

I do appreciate the kind words guys! My car has been called "boring" before but I took that as a compliment too, haha... I showed you mine, now you have to show yours!

-Hiral
post #89 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 08:42 PM
Cherisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSportD View Post
I like the symmetry with the HVAC controls.
I'm on the lookout for a set of those fancy HVAC rings... the dash needs a blkdout set.

-Hiral
post #90 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 11:33 PM
Guru

Quote:
I remember that HKS camp system used to be pipe dream.
And 10K turbo kits, $350 strut tower bars and such haha.

Quote:
I showed you mine, now you have to show yours!

Back before she is as beat as she is now-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page