17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Where in Cali are you?

I've gained 20lbs since my 'fit' days... thread is becoming motivating not just to mod the car, but loose some weight haha.

TokenSolutions is moving to an in-house forum and facebook. Google TokenSolutions forumer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

i'm in the fresno area during the week for the next 7 weeks or so. traveling back and forth is way worse than i thought it was going to be.

I'm trying to stay in shape out here but the hours are so messed up it's hard to get to the gym - that and i found that the trader joes 17 year old single malt scotch they have out here is pretty damn good (both the highland and the isle of mull) - especially for 50$

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
post #33 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

i didn't get a video of the car but i did wander around with the decibel-o-meter and learned some interesting things.

i completely expected the loud seat to be the passenger side rear - that was the quietest at 72db at idle

most of the back seat was the same, high low blah blah...

the front passenger was slightly louder at 74db foot well was back to 72db

then the drivers seat was 78 db, and the drivers foot well was 82db. I sit in the loud seat..... i got in the back as the car was running and it is in fact quieter... this completely turned my thoughts up-side-down....

i also have clunking in the front end that's driving my nuts

i did fix my brake gaurd - it was rubbing my rotors ( i suspect because of the BBK and the sway bar relo) i bent back the brake dust shield and no more rubbing on full lock.

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon

post #34 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)

Quote:
i also have clunking in the front end that's driving my nuts
My clunking always ends up being the sway bar end links. I can always tell because it tends to clunk when one wheel hits a hole and the other doesn't. That's what cycles the sway.
post #35 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)

Acoustics are a fascinating phenomena. Makes sense, to some degree, the driver seat would be the loudest. Low frequencies are generally best heard at a distance to give the sound waves enough time to reverberate, expand and bounce off everything in between. In this case, I would chalk it up to the tranny tunnel in relation to the exhaust, the road and the position of your ears in the cabin.

Always wondered what it would be like to replace the resonator with another muffler for a more civilized sound. Worried about back pressure though...

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
post #36 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:10 PM
Country Boostin

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I need to figure out what its gonna take for me to care about my car again.... Right now it could sit in the same spot for 20 more years and i would completely not care. I think since probably 2008ish when i thought big hp would be cool the car has had about 2500 miles put on it and 2000 of that is with a stock motor in it.....

©2006 my.IS
01 ASP IS300
14 Cadillac CTS-V
07 C6 Z06
97 Supra tt 6 speed
Forced Induction Facts *READ THEM* Its some good stuff!
post #37 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:31 PM
Cherisher

^ You, sir, are hosting a hidden gem in your signature. Reading those links would be motivation enough for me

thanks btw!

-Hiral
post #38 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 09:00 AM
Guru

OKCIS, with what you have in the stable, I wouldn't be driving the IS at all. As is, my IS sees no street time (drive a truck or IS250 instead). Kind of why I'm interested in this thread, I'm hoping after I do some mods/reverse mods, she will get more street time- be more enjoyable and useful. I just bought some used Corbeau seats on Craigslist- I still buy things for the IS in hopes to get it to where i like it lol. Will be doing a big Figs buy eventually to try and get the bushing feel where I want it.

TokenSolutions is moving to an in-house forum and facebook. Google TokenSolutions forumer.

Last edited by BlackSportD; 12-16-2014 at 09:18 AM.
post #39 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdout View Post
Always wondered what it would be like to replace the resonator with another muffler for a more civilized sound. Worried about back pressure though...

amen to that - that's kind of what i was eluding too earlier. I want a quieter car but i don't want to slow the car down or introduce back pressure

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
post #40 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSportD View Post
OKCIS, with what you have in the stable, I wouldn't be driving the IS at all. As is, my IS sees no street time (drive a truck or IS250 instead). Kind of why I'm interested in this thread, I'm hoping after I do some mods/reverse mods, she will get more street time- be more enjoyable and useful. I just bought some used Corbeau seats on Craigslist- I still buy things for the IS in hopes to get it to where i like it lol. Will be doing a big Figs buy eventually to try and get the bushing feel where I want it.
i did a big figs buy myself - i got almost every bushing they offer.

i have yet to install them

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
post #41 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Guru

^^ He just came out with a Lexus master bushing kit. So now its do I get more member replacements (already have his rear MEGA arms), or do I keep OE members and just change a bunch of bushings? In theme of this thread, the rear MEGA arms should be removed in favor of a boxed OEM rear arm with new stiffer bushings. I love how the rear MEGA arms made my rear end much more predictable, but they are solid spherical bushings and that introduces NVH.

I had to get new seats, long story short, the driver's seat leather got ruined and torn. Wish I had the funds to get 'proper' "project civilize" sports seats that hold you, but keep comforts like heat and cooling. But compared to my younger days rocking a Sparco Evo bucket seat, these reclinable and slideable seats don't compromise too much. I didn't find a set that use swede though, had to compromise and get the fabric ones (deal was good). In hind sight, I should have held out for some swede ones... I have sport design grey interior, so finding grey Sparcos and Corbeaus are super hard though.

Quote:
Willing to try a Dynomax VT muffler? Or the more expensive electronically actuated valved systems?

Last edited by BlackSportD; 12-16-2014 at 11:21 AM.
post #42 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

i remember when they were introduced, they said there was no change in NVH, I have boxed in arms and i did order the spherical bushings for the rear control arm, i plan on bringing them in as much as possible to correct camber and such.

I did get the Godspeed front upper control arms with normal bushings ni them - side not i do really like them - but camber is no longer an issue. my fear is the squeek of PU bushings. the rear arm bushing design removes my fear, i wish they were all designed the same way.

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
post #43 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Guru

I thought the Godspeed hit the strut tower on full cycle/bottoming out. If not, I wouldn't mind getting some to avoid the hassle of refreshing bushings in the OE one.

post #44 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

you have to sit pretty low for this to happen... it happened to me before i got them. it does hit but again you really have to compress the suspension. i have only read one review of that happening to the point the person was super unhappy. my car is low and I have to hit a bump pretty hard to get it to happen, and those same bumps would produce similar results with the stock a-arm. i am using an 8mm spacer as well to fit my brakes

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
post #45 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 08:30 AM
Cherisher

I'm going to use a combination of performance and comfort bushings. Mostly performance throughout the drive line and comfort on the suspension. I have mega drop arms and the sphericals did make some noise but, per Mike, some dry lube took care of that. Otherwise, they ride great on the street IMO. (RCA spacers up front too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSportD View Post
Willing to try a Dynomax VT muffler? Or the more expensive electronically actuated valved systems?
Honestly, never considered a valved muffler before... Looks interesting. Think it will help reduce back pressure if it's used as a second muffler -or- are you talking primary use?

-Hiral
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page