User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Technical Poseur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I'm 29....can I look forward to becoming a crotchety old man like you guys in a month when I turn 30?

Poster, I mean poster. What have I done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Guru

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I'd be getting the V3s, but what would really sell me is if they come out with an EDFC like system. Maybe I'd go with a spring shock combo if magnetic control is offered- that is if the range and controller for the shocks perform.

Two of my buds run the FLT-A2s and for having a stiffer spring rate than my Flex, they ride amazingly smooth- much better than the Flex IMO. That said, IMO I have a lot of NVH coming into the cabin via the pillowball mounts, so its a civilize mod for me to change that.

someguy, do you run a cat? I hate the smell of non-catted exhaust so I have two. I also have a resonator and muffler in my 3", the exhaust noise is very tame.

I wonder if ISX50 seats fit, those are pretty comfy and offer both heat and cooling. I can get measurements later tonight on that front- I would imagine they won't clear the Bpillers- we have a very limited range of seat options...

At the age of this car, I bet a refresh on the motor mounts could provide a change as well. Chassis stiffening could help too, apparently the more rigid the frame, the more harshness gets absorbed into the suspension vs. becoming movement in the cab. If you have a welder and you have the carpet up already for installing more sound deadening, maybe a tack here and there would help.

My short shifter transmits a lot of noise into the cabin as well. I think the carlsport has material to address this, but he doesn't make SS's anymore. Might have to put the OE back in if I get annoyed.

My clutch is due, the W55 has held up because the clutch is the first point of failure. Hearing how R154s shift, I'm willing to throw some money into testing for the community and have my W55 shot peened by a local company (WPC). The Company feels that if the trannies are failing around 300 rwtq, then after the treatment it could be good for 400+ rwtq. This way, the OEM teeth that are made more for quiet operation vs. strength can stay that way, yet be strengthened and the ratios stay the same. If your a manual (and I know your boosted) this is an option to retain the OEM fitment, feel and sound of W55 while being at higher power levels, and the pricing isn't nearly as bad as a tranny swap.

If you haven't done Figs hood props yet, they are a very nice touch and I'm looking forward to trunk props if they come out.

TokenSolutions is moving to an in-house forum and facebook. Google TokenSolutions forumer.

Last edited by BlackSportD; 12-09-2014 at 12:14 PM.
post #18 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Technical Poseur

When I'm done with school I fully intend to send my FLEXes back to get rebuilt and revalved for 14k/12k springs. I need stickier tires and more spring....

post #19 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
I'm 29....can I look forward to becoming a crotchety old man like you guys in a month when I turn 30?
Dude, its like a fricken switch. I worked out, felt in great shape from my 06-07 MOB and was like, "ah hell no, its all in the head". 30 hit like a bag of bricks.

Quote:
I need stickier tires and more spring....
I put Kumho V700s on, the grip quickly made Flexs go from stiff enough to put normal tires to use, to feeling like a Camry going around corners lol.

TokenSolutions is moving to an in-house forum and facebook. Google TokenSolutions forumer.

Last edited by BlackSportD; 12-09-2014 at 01:46 PM.
post #20 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

Quoted: 44 Post(s)

i tell the emissions board that I run a cat...... but ihave 3" all the way back with an expansion style resonator and a 3" straight muffler - JIC Spartan DE type II. that's it..

I kind of like to be able to smell stuff - helps me identify problems or issues. I have thought of getting a vibrant resonator but i do like a loud car at certain times.

interesting comment about the stiffness of the chassis though, not a bad thought process.

so far the biggest bang for effort has been applying damplifier or some similar product to the roof. the doors helped, the trunk helped, the trunk helped but the roof was an awesome difference.

i like the seats, and the interior for the most part - i find it to be a nice place to sit. I have had the car for 11 years though - i'm used to it. i might do some more sound deadening against the back seat divider, the existing sound deading stuff is decent but it seems to stop short. but i downloaded a decibel-o-meter app and i plan to try and find where the most noise is coming from and attack that now. get smarter about it rather than blanketing the thing with sound deadening.

the only time i want it quiet on the outside is pulling up to the golf course - ouside of that... it sounds good....

props done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSportD View Post
Dude, its like a fricken switch. I worked out, felt in great shape from my 06-07 MOB and was like, "ah hell no, its all in the head". 30 hit like a bag of bricks.
it was 31 for me... i still work out all the time though - take care of myself - but it is certainly harder to look the way i want. my hangover tolerance dropped off a cliff at 31.

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon

Last edited by somguy2u; 12-09-2014 at 12:51 PM.
post #21 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Technical Poseur

I'm currently in the process of losing weight if you saw on FB. 40lbs since January. I'm just feeling more confident about things in general. I also really have things I want and need to do with life as well as the car. I want this thing stripped down to nothing and rebuilt to my hand done specifications.

post #22 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

also for the shifter noise i lost a lot with some Luxry Liner pro in the shifter housing inside - right under the plastic - it helped with a lot of transmission noise as well - cut a hole for the shifter and cut to fit the area - simple piece but was awesome

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
post #23 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Technical Poseur

Meanwhile I would be happy with a straight cut dog box that only had the final gear as helical....I'm sick sometimes.

post #24 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Extremist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)

Quote:
Hmm you people suck that's all. Complaining about being 30. Just wait, you think 30 is bad. Enjoy it while you can...

My one regret was not tracking cars sooner. I think I was 40 when I seriously started tracking.
post #25 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Guru

I'm learning some good tips here- lining the roof for instance. I had also been putting some apps in my wishlist to create a NVH evaluation to try and attack things smartly, I don't want the IS to gain unnecessary weight install deadening all over the place.

There are valved mufflers that offer quiet low load, and flowing high load. I tried one and the difference is not that dramatic, but being a 3" exhaust, I have no drone while cruising. There are expensive systems that are electronically controlled vs. spring loaded, I could see those being installed in a way that makes for a more dramatic on/off sound difference.

Yep, hangover tolerance sh*t the bed for me too. Work out recovery can skip a day now, so that I will be sore not the next day, but the day after next. But I can put muscle mass on much easier than when I was younger... I also get injured more easily haha.

Quote:
Meanwhile I would be happy with a straight cut dog box that only had the final gear as helical....I'm sick sometimes.
I started out this way, not minding making the IS as raw as raw gets, but now it seems to not make sense to mod a car against it's DNA. IMO if it takes X amount of work and parts to mod an S2000 or other factory oriented performance car to meet Y goals, it'll take 6 times the modding to get the IS there. Between the loads of bushings that needs to be changed, suspension settings, frame rigidity, sun roof weight, sprayed on sound deadening that is a pita to remove, top of the line engine mods etc- I've changed and now need to reverse some of my mods and aim towards strengthening upon what the OEM engineers had in mind, a luxury sports sedan, rather than fight it's DNA and try to make it something else and come up short. But to each his own, I think the IS does have the makings to be a great blank slate for a lot of build types, just a matter of doing it right.

Last edited by BlackSportD; 12-09-2014 at 01:49 PM.
post #26 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 02:00 PM
Technical Poseur

I've got HKS Ti-Limited....about as subdued as aftermarket exhaust can get on an IS.

post #27 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Guru

Kind of in the same category as the Ltuned right? My favorite was the hiper. I had the carbon fiber version- the sound was so good, I didn't mind hearing it all the time. I don't like the sound Vibrant systems *edit components make... I think my next exhaust I'll pay the price and get HKS hardware for a 3" system.

OP, what about RFID keyless entry and push start? Kind of like smart phones and such, you didn't know you needed them until you get them, and then you'll be ahead of the curve for when your NFC enabled phone can take the place of your key.

Last edited by BlackSportD; 12-09-2014 at 09:10 PM.
post #28 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)

Vibrant resonator and oval muffler. No "system", just parts. 3" straight through:

...I'm 31 years old.

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral

Last edited by blkdout; 12-09-2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: 31!
post #29 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

that makes m want to get a vid of my car - but it is hard to judge true volume. that's why i got the decibel-o-meter ap

This thread is killing me, I am out in California for work and want to be near my car right now...

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon

Last edited by somguy2u; 12-10-2014 at 08:52 PM.
post #30 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
I'm currently in the process of losing weight if you saw on FB. 40lbs since January. I'm just feeling more confident about things in general. I also really have things I want and need to do with life as well as the car. I want this thing stripped down to nothing and rebuilt to my hand done specifications.
I think I just saw this, congrats on losing weight! That's awesome, I lost 30 lbs my senior year of college, it becomes "the way" as you go forward. Its hard work but oh so worth it. Keep it up, itll pay off like crazy through your 30s. If you have a job and are in shape, you are a huge catch to the ladies...

I did tear down the engine bay and I regret rushing so many things. Like the brake lines and general cleaning stuff. I had all that time getting my motor built by don at Accelerated, and I did a lot of stuff but I rushed a lot of it. Take your time, do the bay and the trans tunnels right. Interior, tile with damplifier, don't use whole sheets, only need like 30% coverage.

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page