User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #196 of 204 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

i have been wanting to install those for a while. i have them in the trunk,and the number 1s and all the crap for the back. the NVH does concern me, especially the N portion.

so i got my coil-overs installed, and they ride and perform amazingly. i would recommend Fortune Auto to anyone at this point.

i had to adjust the mounting of the remote reservoirs, here's what i settled on in the front - it's a crazy tight fit, but i think it looks pretty good. it was definitely hard to find the mounting points, i mentioned to them about local mounting on the coilover itself.

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 204 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:39 AM
Guru

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
I might just flip a coin to decide whether to try and mask the noise, or just embrace the noise full on and aim for terrifying.
I almost look forward to tapping out on trying to make a 'perfect' quiet exhaust, as so far I have actually succeeded at the quiet part on my 3", and a friends, the issue for me now is the type of tone when it does get loud/WOT- I'm not a fan. I really liked my N/A HKS Hiper days, and even the draggers sounded great-- I kind of want to build a 3" custom setup with HKS cores but know it will come with the cost of high way drone... The design you referenced might fix that, hopefully without a large cost in the HKS sound when it is the appropriate time to sing.

Quote:
it was definitely hard to find the mounting points, i mentioned to them about local mounting on the coilover itself.
I hope they head your advice- this old guy right here has gotten tired of finding custom solutions and road-blocks when installing things haha. Some of the KW info that has popped up here has me weary and now looking at other options.

TokenSolutions is moving to an in-house forum and facebook. Google TokenSolutions forumer.
post #198 of 204 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:28 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Is quoting yourself as bad as referring to yourself in the 3rd person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman932 View Post
Regarding the exhaust, have you considered a boost actuated cutout? I have a boost actuated cutout from SP Racing
http://www.spracingonline.com/store/...ctivated_/3673
On my 2002 IS300, after the downpipe, my exhaust tapers into the stock resonator, then to the L-tuned axle back exhaust. Its no louder than stock at idle and normal driving, but you have a completely open/no restriction exhaust when you need it (on boost). It's the best of both worlds. I have ~20,000 daily driver miles on this setup. It is by far the most civilized modified car I have. My Supra is 4" from the turbo back with a small straight through Burns muffler. Needless to say, it's loud. My MR2 is cammed and degreed for max power. It only pulls a couple of inches of vaccuum at idle, and has issues at light load below 3000 rpm. This is of course less than civilized. Having these other cars is what led me to build my IS300 the way I did. The idea was to build a quick, reliable, pump gas, inconspicuous street car with a very street friendly powerband that was still civil enough to drive daily. I also wanted to use as many OEM components as possible. I decided on the cast manifold for durability, heat retention, and spool. I also have a SP Racing Quick Spool Valve that helps spool. I initially installed the TS poly mounts as well, but they introduced way more vibration than I thought was acceptable. I swapped in a set of new OEM mounts and couldn't be happier. I know most people will say, OEM mounts won't withstand 450 whp, but I have had no issues. Of course these are also brand new and I don't abuse them.
I will admit, the open 3" downpipe and open wastegate dump do not sound at all refined at WOT, but the quiet, subdued, and refined nature of the exhaust the other 99% of the time more than make up for it.

16 RX450h F-Sport
13 MKZ hybrid
08 911 turbo cabriolet, Champion, Cobb, Fabspeed, FVD, 6MT
04 IS300 Sportcross, NA-T, 6262, AEM FIC
02 IS300 L-tuned, vvti 2jzgte, 67mm, EMU, R154
94 Supra 67mm, AEM, 6MT
93 MR2 gen3 3sgte, t3/t4, 264s, AEM, 5MT
02 Honda VFR800 6MT

post #199 of 204 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 05:31 PM
Guru

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

^^ That setup sounds awesome. Damn tempting to copy that...

TokenSolutions is moving to an in-house forum and facebook. Google TokenSolutions forumer.
post #200 of 204 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

i sent the car in to have a big resonator welded in. we'll see how it turns out. I also ordered new rear control arms, i didn't do figs due to the solid bushings, i went for some with rubber bushings to hopefully keep some of the nvh down.

I have started to do a better job of documenting this stuff:

http://www.tuimotorsports.com/?page_id=534

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
post #201 of 204 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

New exhaust is made, I installed megan racing rear control arms. I have yet to pick the car up we shall see how things go.

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
post #202 of 204 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 05:28 PM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)

Decided to bump this good ol' thread.

Went ahead and sound deadened as much as I thought necessary for the transmission noise:

somguy2u likes this.

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
post #203 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

That is impressive work! I have started to do a few more things myself on the car, a lot of updating, maintenance and general things

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
post #204 of 204 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

so i have a few problems that i am trying to iron out, quite frustrating really.

I have developed a serious missfire that eventually leads to stalls. Watching the cam timing it bounces all over the place from -60 to 0 and back in fractions of a second. AEM is collecting more timing errors, so i am setting out to replace the cam and crank sensors as well as rewire them with new 18ga shielded wires one for each all the way to the ecu.

You have to remove the entire intake manifold to get to the cam sensor btw - massive PITA but i'm closing in on it...

It sticks because i just redid some of the sound system, replaced the Polk MM rears with CDT HD69CFXs which are awesome, but also did a lot of wire clean-up in the process.

Before:

After:

also installed a rear view camera:

and did more clean-up:

and finally got around to putting some damplifier on the rear doors:

after i can get it running right again, the next step is the clutch:

No more HKS rebuild kits , I have no idea what direction I want to go.

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page