17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Project Civilize Installment

continueing with my project civilize, which has included a lot of sound deadening, new stereo, getting rid of (or significantly reducing) alternator whine, short through shifter, tightening up interior panels to prevent them from rattling, hood heat refection stuff, new horns (mine just didn't work anymore, not really civilizing), move to a more driveable and friendly AEMv2, floor and tunnel shielding areas under the car for the exhaust (on going), fixed some oil leaks, and even put an SSD in my tuning computer (sony ux180p).

things i did to hinder this effort - BC264s with all the goodies. there was a significant exhaust noise increase

I took one more step with some exhaust wrap. i had heard that it helps reduce exhaust drone quite a bit and i was quite skeptical about it, but i was sill unhappy with cooking anything near the trans tunnel in the car.

displeasure led to action, i purchased the biggest role of DEI titanium heat wrap i could find and a 20 pack of ~3" worm clamps. Upon receipt I stared at them for a few a months, then actually decided to start working on the car again.

one nice fall afternoon i decided to remove my exhaust and start wrapping -

i wasn't happy with how it went around the o2 bung so i went back over it

this is a PITA....

keeping it tight and all one piece alone with a huge steel pipe is harder than it sounds. the wrap continues to want to twist around on you, then you have screw with it, and the wrap then gets loose and you have to re-tighten.... i recommend getting someone to help - they don't even really have to know what they are doing.

end result - it did reduce drone! adding mass to the pipe alters the resonance frequency and removing the drone from the cruising ranges, very cool!

cabin is cooler and more quiet, which was the goal. i haven't done the downpipe yet, i actually don't think i have enough wrap to cover it, but it is next.

all in all it's a pretty cool mod - i am not sure on the durability of all of this stuff though - i will report back

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 05:23 AM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)

Awesome idea. It never came to mind that wrapping the whole exhaust would change the sound. Makes sense

Did you paint the pipe and soak the wrap in water before installation?

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
post #3 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 06:34 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)

I hate header wrap. I wonder if cutting out and installing a larger resonator wouldn't help?

I like the idea of reducing interior rattles. My dash rattles right now. Apparently I didn't get back in 100%. One thing I use to reduce rattles is a little RTV on the mating surfaces. it acts as a rubber damper when it cures.

post #4 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

with the titanium stuff you are not supposed to soak or to paint anything, just wrap and clamp - supposedly after heat cycling it gets hard, but just wrap and clamp. the other cheaper stuff they have you are supposed to soak and then paint with the silicone stuff.

i just used some electrical tap on the press in fasteners and tabs - rtv is good to on the mating surfaces - that will probably be the next step, idea is the same - something to dampen vibrations between surfaces.

drone is a pain, resonance tubes shows a lot of promise, but takes up a lot of space that is at a premium under the IS. I have a hollow resonator in there you can see, but obviously the most effective would be to just install a real glasspack resonator - but i am still trying to keep a nice free flowing exhaust. there are those moments when you want the car to be loud - i just don't want to hear it all the time

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
post #5 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Extremist

I like the electrical tape idea.

I just ordered a new stainless exhaust for my setup. That's what I want. Loud when I'm on it, little rumble while driving. I tend to shift by sound so, I need it loud enough to hear the engine.

I want to hear that V8 quad cam sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EsO83qRYEk

4 minutes in. That's what I hope my car sounds like.
post #6 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somguy2u View Post
with the titanium stuff you are not supposed to soak or to paint anything, just wrap and clamp - supposedly after heat cycling it gets hard, but just wrap and clamp. the other cheaper stuff they have you are supposed to soak and then paint with the silicone stuff.
Gotcha!

Still think it's a great idear.... I always wanted to try aluminum exhaust for it's soft metal resonance but this looks like a nice, cost effective option.

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
post #7 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Guru

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Digging project civilize. Whats next?

TokenSolutions is moving to an in-house forum and facebook. Google TokenSolutions forumer.
post #8 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

i haven't really decided... i need to do some basic maintenance work, steering rod ends, ball joints, new bushings, i do want a new fuel pump - or a second one - but thats not really to civilize things. any ideas?

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
post #9 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Technical Poseur

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Adding more sound deadening to places?

Poster, I mean poster. What have I done?
post #10 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Guru

New OE rubber bushings should be nice, but a real PITA to get done.

Do you already have tint? IMO I've noticed a difference with cheap tint and expensive tint in regards to at about the same percent rating, the more expensive tint making me much more comfortable (less heat on my skin, don't need to roll down the windows for air etc).

Would electronics count? Maybe the aux in mod plus some of the cheap bluetooth goodies on Amazon allowing you to stream music from your phone, hands free phone etc-- or just a whole new dash unit with new features. Push start with RFID?

I had to drive an IS250 for two weeks and started to get used to not hearing an engine, feel everything in the road- heated and cooled seats, OEM quality hands free phone setup-- it was nice.

TokenSolutions is moving to an in-house forum and facebook. Google TokenSolutions forumer.

Last edited by BlackSportD; 12-08-2014 at 04:14 PM.
post #11 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

Part one of all of this was a big stereo, pioneer navigation Polk mm all around and a Polk monster amp. Bluetooth everything is part of it. Stock CD player died on me - it kind of kicked off the movement. Nice stereo made me want to hear it and then all the other things started bugging me. I'm in my 30s, I want more creature comforts.

I don't have tint, I have always been the anti tint, but georgia in the summer can get out of control. I was going to do a nice ceramic 50%. Just to save the leather. I also want my beater done - 2011 crv with a kid on the way, want to keep her cool. I need to do a lot of engine bay clean - up work. I think the next one is brake lines from abs block. I have some serious hacked stock lines. With it will be an abs mounting bracket.

No joke though, running out of ideas. I want to finish wrapping the down pipe. And putting more floor and tunnel shield up under the car. I really want to widen the stock wheels all around, but I don't want to deal with it. But traction can be civilized

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
post #12 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 07:30 AM
Technical Poseur

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

3M crystalline tint. It only goes down to 40% light transmission at its darkest, available up to 90% light transmission

Poster, I mean poster. What have I done?
post #13 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Guru

Quote:
I'm in my 30s, I want more creature comforts.
Right there with you.

I didn't get tint for simply the darkness/privacy (its nice though), but living in SoCal, for the comfort. I have about 35% on the sides- it helps but the windshield was still a huge green house. Then I did 50% on the windshield (can hardly see that it is there) and its a must. Its 3M and it blocks a lot of the energy, I no longer put up a sun screen when parking outside, its not necessary. Very "luxury" to be able to hop in your car after its been in the sun and not start cooking and burning your hands on various things.

Quote:
I really want to widen the stock wheels all around, but I don't want to deal with it. But traction can be civilized
I imagine there are aftermarket rims that keep things OE looking but offer bigger footprints.

Are you running coilovers? I have pillowball mounts on mine and want to go over to KW using the OE hats, but then I would loose EDFC and thats been nice.

I believe last months car and driver mentioned that some economic shock/strut companies will be coming out with magnetic fluid shocks soon for a wide range of common models, thus beginning to offer magnetic ride control for a lot of dated models. Sounds too good to be true right now, but we'll see I guess.

post #14 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Extremist

Quote:
I'm in my 30s, I want more creature comforts.
Hah...young whippersnapper.

I'm interested in wider tires myself. Willing to do a fender roll but, not much more. A car of this weight really needs 245's but, I'd be happy with 235's. None of this 18" wheel nonsense either. I want some cushion and the 17's seem to have the right amount of rubber for it.

Quote:
Are you running coilovers? I have pillowball mounts on mine and want to go over to KW using the OE hats, but then I would loose EDFC and thats been nice.
I've had KW's on the last two cars I owned and they both leaked oil from the adjusters. One badly from day one. It's made me a little leery of putting them on the IS. Think I'm going to stick with Koni /GC's for now. Even if a Koni leaks, it's pretty cheap to get a spare while I send it off for a rebuild. Koni offers custom valving too in the yellows. KW Clubsports have no warranty (as I found out to my regret). The V3's have the lifetime warranty.
post #15 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Virgin Magnet

i have JIC FLT-A2 from back in the dat - i love them, they've been great.

not much noise when i changed out though I think i have more noise from ball joints and tierod ends. i will report back when i replace those. i did replace upper A arms in the front with adjustable ones - didn't notice much there either. type of tire has a lot to do with it. i went to michelin PSS's and haven't looked back. 235/45 in the rear with a sportcross rear wheel.

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page