Lexus IS Forum banner

Proefi peeps.... couple questions

934 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Yogujuhere 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to start hooking up the 128. My questions are....

Did you install it yourself?
Where did you mount it?
Did you hook up the traction control?
What programming did you have to do to get it running?

#2 ·
You're MUCH BETTER well served getting it installed by an experienced installer. TRUST ME.
That money for installation fee is WELL WORTH IT.

Remember, if theres something not wired correctly and a shop is tuning this for you, it will be additional costs for you on the dyno for them to trouble shoot it. This can get very costly very quickly.

Yes ProEFI traction control was hooked up and it is amazing. Completely worth it and then some if you plan on not driving like a hooligan sliding all over the road because you think its the cool thing to do with a 2JZ.

Original harness length is very short. You should mount yours in the engine bay if the harness you have won't reach into the cabin.

You have to get it completely tuned. Its not even close to an AEM car. It takes a significant amount of time to setup and dial in. For sure, you need patience when going ProEFI, but the end product is WELL WELL worth it.

Bottom line: GO TO A PROFESSIONAL TO SETUP YOUR PROEFI.

Your best bet being in Indiana is to finish your car except for the ECU portion of it, then tow it to Sound Performance and have them install it:

554 N York Rd, Bensenville, IL 60106
(630) 893-5002

Don't deal with a shop that doesn't have experience with ProEFI. Don't waste your time having a shop try to learn for the first time on your car. Its not worth your time. Sound Performance is the closest "legit" ProEFI tuner. Reid will set you up over there. Pay the install fee and the tune fee. That is truly your best bet. Listen to these guys, they have a LOT of experience. Certain things you can easily do yourself on these cars, and some things you really should leave to people who do this day in and day out.

Good luck

#3 ·
I bought mine from a local dealer Pete Cozzilino. He is going to be doing the tuning and stuff. He told me that install was pretty straight forward and I could do it myself if I felt comfortable. The only thing I'm unsure of is the traction control wiring.

#4 ·
Well. Thats completely upto you. I did this install myself...There were a few things that could have been done better and a few things that needed to be changed up when my tuner arrived.

Im not familiar with Pete Cozzilino.

There are quite a few ProEFI dealers out there, but only a few that post on the internet with tons of 2JZ experience. I dont know anything about him, so I really can't comment.

Currently, off the top of my head... as far as ProEFI tuners... I only recommend Alpha@IP, Errol@TPS, Chris Delgado@D3, Larry@SP, Saad Racing.

Good luck on the build, I hope it all works out for you. I still recommend doing the install by a shop, but if you feel upto it, go for it. Wiring is not complicated at all... but from a liability stand point (price per hour troubleshooting if you messed something up)... why bother.

I don't remember how I wired the traction control in... but just follow the pin outs on the instructions to a toggle switch or use your stock button. Should be a piece of cake if you know how to wire in the rest of the sensors and display.

#5 ·
I may just take a trip to Chicago and say the hell with it. I'm still getting parts around right now so it's not that big of a rush. I just figured that if I could do it myself I would. I've done a couple hp tuner cars so tuning isn't new to me.

#6 ·
I really do believe your best served doing that. ProEFI is not easy to setup especially if its your first time around. There really is a sharp learning curve. What would take an AEM car to tune (maybe 2 hours), a ProEFI to properly calibrate usually takes most of the day. Once you get the hang of it (like anything in life) its easy. But, to properly set it up the first time around takes a lot of time. Its a LOT easier for you to take this to someone experienced to sort out.

Major mechanical things like engine, suspension etc, without hesitation I would do either myself or with friends. I have no issue doing things on my own or recommending a do it your self kind of guy doing. But ProEFI specifically...takes a lot of patience. AKA Pay the $1200-1500 and get it wired and tuned professionally lol =) That tuning support from them should pay dividends for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.