Power Limits of the W58?... - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fiend

rockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community member
Power Limits of the W58?...

Looking for a solid opinion from all experienced. Search...? Yeah, call guiness as I would have the search record . From what I gather, around 400 rwhp. out of the 3 swaps, this is by a landslide, the most cost effective/easiest to do for someone wanting to make 400-450RWHP.

Especially if you have to yank out the tranny anyway to replace a squeeling release bearing and you already have an upgraded clutch (hmmm...380 torque limit..? ).

Who's running this setup / how long / power ect...

I think there's just 3 items needed...W58 slave cylinder, clutch fork...and....???

I do realize the gearing is far from ideal (very long gears) but with 400-450 rwhp, shouldn't be much of an issue. car will be pretty fast

01 IS300 E-Shift Blue Mica-Stock with Pimpin Body Kit (DD)

02 IS300 Onyx 5-Speed - Boosted 8 PSI, Tein SS Coilovers w/ EDFC, NGK Wideband, Greddy SP2 Exhaust, Stage 3 Spec Clutch, B&M short shifter, Angel Eye's, TRD Gauge Pod w/ Blitz Gauges, Carbon Fiber Front Lip, 18" Super Advan's in Gunmetal Wrapped in Yokohamma Advan Sport's 225/40 & 255/35,Haltech E6X, Well.. the W58 goes in first then the R154!!!
rockinrobbieredstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

300iss is an elite community member300iss is an elite community member300iss is an elite community member300iss is an elite community member300iss is an elite community member300iss is an elite community member300iss is an elite community member300iss is an elite community member300iss is an elite community member300iss is an elite community member300iss is an elite community member
I dont know why you started yet another thread about the w58. You said you aleady searched and found the answers.

450whp is about the max...slightly over depending on driving style.

Also, I assume your turning up the boost? You arent going to make 450whp a 8lbs?

This will answer anything else...

W58 Transmission... Review and Mini Tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malekreza11 View Post
Hey everyone, I put in a W58 transmission into my car as a temporary solution until I can gather all my parts for my future transmission swap. Its either going to be the R154 or something crazy and unique.. Who knows..

But anyway, here it goes.. This transmission came out of a 1992 Lexus SC300 with an alleged 63,000 miles on it. I dont know how much truth that has, but it doesnt matter, it works for now.

Anyway, I will tell you about the tranmission first, then get into what is needed to do the swap successfully so you dont have to take it down again. I did this on my garage floor with 4 jackstands. The transmission is 4 fold better than the stock W55 5speed. Its more stable, the gears are more quiet and feel tons more solid when driving. The stock trans would shake and vibrate when being pushed. For example, if i was flooring it in 2nd gear, my shifter would start the rock side to side and make noise. The W58 is rock solid in this manner. It keeps its composure much better under loads. Based on other's experiences, DO NOT push this trans in 5th gear, and I can see why. 5th is the overdrive gear and its long and it will strain this thing like there is no tomorrow.

Gearing.... Well, the gears are much talled than the w55. My 2nd gear goes to 68 MPH. THis was confirmed with having a stock IS drive next to me at various speeds. At 50 MPH on an accurate speedometer, my car reads 44. The accuracy seems to become less as the speed increases. 1st gear is taller, but i still spin my tires nontheless. 2nd gear pulls extremely well and is ok for turbo, but in a way I wish the gears werent this long and would rather have a higher revving motor. Thats my preference though. So, to you 6 speed folks, I think you should maybe consider keeping your stock rear end, and rebuilding your head for an 8k redline.

3rd gear on the W55 is better in my opinion. It was the power gear and the car hauled ass. It does the same in the W58, but not as much. 4th havent done much testing, but its the same as its 1:1, so it cant be any different. 5th, is long... You will most definetely get better gas mileage with this gearing. At 70+ MPH the Tach is well under 3k RPMS.

Now... what to do to put this sucker in....
Things you must retain from your stock transmission:
1) Stock Bellhousing
2) Tailshaft and shift lever selector
3) Stock shifter
4) Stock lower trans mount

What tools will you need:
1) AIR TOOLS MAN!!!!
2) Permatex The Right Stuff gasket material for sealing the tailshaft
3) White out, or the service manual so you can line up the driveshaft for proper balance. The white out is used to create matchmarks.
4) Various sockets, impact sockets, Long 36 inch extension to access the 2 TOP bellhousing nuts. These are very easy to get out if you have a long extension..
5)3 floor jacks, 4 or more jackstands, and a peice of 2x4

Now... the trans is a BIATCH to get out if you do it the way everyone else does it... I tried something new... Place a jack and 2x4 under the front Subframe cross member. Unbolt the 4 subframe bolts (17MM). Lower this member about 2 inches or so. The trans should simply pop out without any difficulty at this point.

To remove all the bellhousing bolts, you must first dismantle the first half of the driveshaft. You dont need to remove it from the rear differential, waste of time. Then remove the 3rd Engine mount which is holding up the tailshaft of the trans. Once remove, the engine and trans will tilt down giving you some clearance to get an extension in there. Remove all the nuts. Some are 14MM, some are 17MM. The starter bolts are the most difficult to remove.

Remove the Red slave cylinder off the transmission as it gets in the way.

Now the transmission should come right out. Take about 5 minutes of finessing to get it out, but it coems out.

Now that you got that fucker out.. Dismantle the clutch throwout bearing and fork. THen remove the bellhousing nuts. All are 14MM. Use a rubber mallet and slightly start tapping the bellhousin till it pops off. THere is a guide pin in the bellhousing, so dont hit it to hard, or you will crack the metal.

Now, remove your Tail shaft... MAKE SURE BOTH TRANSMISSIONS ARE IN NEUTRAL!!! All the tailshaft bolts are 14mm as well. once out, you have to use a chisel and find a spot to hit the chisel in as its held on with gasket material. Once you get it out, remove the gasket material with a gasket scraper and clean mating surface well, as you dont want leaks....

The W58 is easy to take apart... Our w55 is more involved. You must removed the 6 bolts at the top of the tail shaft that hold your shifter bolts into. Once you get access into there, you will see a 12MM nut that is bolted into a shaft. Remove this and the 2 24MM nuts on the SIDE rear of the tailshaft... Now the entire tailshaft should come apart. Pull up gently so you dont bend any shift forks.

Place your old parts onto the W58 transmission. stick your stock shifter in and make sure you aligned everything properly and you are getting access to ALL your gears.

Now... put your transmission back in.. It takes about 20 minutes of finessing with 3 people doing this. A jack must be place at the front of the trans to help push it up. It must go in at an angle with the rear tilted down, or you wont get enough clearance. Once you get the input shaft to clear your clutch pressure plate forks, you will need someone to rotate the crank very slowly enough so the spline pops into the crankshaft. Once you get her in, go ahead and place jackstand at the end of the trans and make sure the front is support and start bolting the transmission back up... Put everything back in order as you took it apart.....

Here is the proper order so you do it effeciently for taking things apart:
1)Remove midpipe exhaust underneath
2)Remove lower trans brace (3rd engine mount)
3)Remove front half of propeller shaft
4)Undo subframe bolts. (you also must remove the front suspension brace, its easy)
5)Remove trans bolts.

Anyway, hope this helps... I will keep you updated on this transmission as I will probably be running this for at least a month or so. Hopefully it wont pop on me.

In my opinion, its a decent transmission, but it should in NO WAY be considered as a permanent solution. If you are a low powered IS300, this will work for you just fine, just dont tear it up in 5th.

Lexotic Concepts MW 007
300iss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-20-2007, 10:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Guru

Malekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community member
ive gone through a couple of these tranny's. I seem to break my tranny's in any gear I want.

But if i had to make an educated guess, ide say the torque capacity is about 430-460, and thats if you mate the transmission with a FULL FACE organic stock DISC and heavier pressure plate like the RPS. A 6 puck clutch will break this transmission with even 300 RWHP.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fiend

rockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community memberrockinrobbieredstar is an elite community member
Thanks guys: The main thing I was looking for. 430-460 tq with the magic clutch setup - thanks malek!...Looks like the swap would be worthwhile.

300iss - of course I'm turning up the boost

02 IS300 Onyx 5-Speed - Boosted 8 PSI, Tein SS Coilovers w/ EDFC, NGK Wideband, Greddy SP2 Exhaust, Stage 3 Spec Clutch, B&M short shifter, Angel Eye's, TRD Gauge Pod w/ Blitz Gauges, Carbon Fiber Front Lip, 18" Super Advan's in Gunmetal Wrapped in Yokohamma Advan Sport's 225/40 & 255/35,Haltech E6X, Well.. the W58 goes in first then the R154!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Enthusiast

htekwo is an elite community memberhtekwo is an elite community memberhtekwo is an elite community memberhtekwo is an elite community memberhtekwo is an elite community memberhtekwo is an elite community memberhtekwo is an elite community memberhtekwo is an elite community memberhtekwo is an elite community memberhtekwo is an elite community memberhtekwo is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobbieredstar View Post
Thanks guys: The main thing I was looking for. 430-460 tq with the magic clutch setup - thanks malek!...Looks like the swap would be worthwhile.

300iss - of course I'm turning up the boost
You should re-read the last paragraph Malek wrote. I'll knock on wood, but I'm still on the W55 w/Clutchmasters stage 4 four puck. Personally, I don't think there is much difference between it and the W58 as far as strength goes. I would bet that the inerds are more similar than different except for the gearing ratios, not the strength of the metal. I would agree that you can't beat on this tranny too much if you expect it to live. Be very mindful of the type of fluid you use in it. I run two types of Redline with there friction modifier and it makes the gearbox very slick shifting. If you are going to change out the tranny, find you an R154 and do it right.

I will disagree with Malek on the shift quality of the two trannies. I've owned both and the W55 with the B&M short shifter is one of the nicest gear boxes I've had my hands on. It's not quite Miata like, but I like how it positively goes into gear with a nice mechanical feel and sound. I would say that the short shifter is probably responsible for most of the feel of the W55.
Red 02' 5 Spd, PT-67, Boostlogic Manifold, SRT FFIM, Built GE block and Head (JEs, Carrillo H-beams, Supertech Valvetrain, 272s) TEC3-R running TT Coils, Innovate Wideband, SRT Dual Pump Hanger, Blitz Technospeed wheels, JIC Magic FLT2 Coilovers, B&M Shifter, etc, etc, etc. (R154 and MKIII Supra LSD in the works ;-).

Old numbers: 480HP 486TRQ @ 18psi Pump & 6500RPM. Waiting on spring to dyno new setup....
htekwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Guru

my.IS Supporter
TeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community member
Quote:

I think there's just 3 items needed...W58 slave cylinder, clutch fork...and....???
You don't need any of those items. There is really only one thing you need, the W58 tranny core. Everything else can be taken from the W55. Even the clutch is optional.

I did significant research on these two trannies before I swapped. The standing rumor is that the later W58s had steel sandwich plates vs allow sandwich plates in the W55 which lends it it's slightly increased strength. I do believe this as the W58 has been well characterized in the NA Supra which has been around for a significant amount of time. It is heavier so for that community to consistently say 400-450 is the limit...

Which does contrast with the IS experiences of the W55 breaking at mid 300s.

Check out my thread here for more info:
W58 Swap...Questions and Answers

Full Aristo 2JZ-GTE BPU++ - Getrag v161 - EMU - Brembo BBK - CCW Classics 9F/10.5R - 255/35F - 285/30R - AAR Arms - GReddy Type-S - Hotchkis Sways - Teck Kit - Prolex / Cusco STB - Full ICE - HKS Drager - Prosport Prem Boost/EGT/FP - Innovative LC-1/XD-16 - Goodridge SS - TRD F/R Underbrace - Greddy Profec B Spec II - Megan Toe Arms
TeCKis300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Guru

Malekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community memberMalekreza11 is an elite community member
read above Rockinrobie. You need the slave cylinder, and misc. items from your current transmission.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fiend

This is exactly the info I was looking for thanks teckis3oo. I could probably sell the W55 and buy a w58 even trade...easy. Or just keep the W55 around. Just in case . Malek: what is the name of that friction modifier you run? Can I keep my B&M short shifter?

Last edited by rockinrobbieredstar; 08-21-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Guru

my.IS Supporter
TeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community memberTeCKis300 is an elite community member
^^ No you can't sell your W55 for an even trade as you will need to scavenge the bellhousing, shifter housing (depending on which W58 you get) and speed sensor.

Full Aristo 2JZ-GTE BPU++ - Getrag v161 - EMU - Brembo BBK - CCW Classics 9F/10.5R - 255/35F - 285/30R - AAR Arms - GReddy Type-S - Hotchkis Sways - Teck Kit - Prolex / Cusco STB - Full ICE - HKS Drager - Prosport Prem Boost/EGT/FP - Innovative LC-1/XD-16 - Goodridge SS - TRD F/R Underbrace - Greddy Profec B Spec II - Megan Toe Arms
Old 08-21-2007, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Guru

Quote:
This is exactly the info I was looking for thanks teckis3oo. I could probably sell the W55 and buy a w58 even trade...easy. Or just keep the W55 around. Just in case . Malek: what is the name of that friction modifier you run? Can I keep my B&M short shifter?
i just use Mobil1 75w-90 gear oil. Works well. Forget royal purple. Redline is great too.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fiend

Ok, My clutch is a spec stage 3. Thought I could use it but I think I read somewhere it may be a 6 puck (whatever that means?) which means I would need a new clutch.

New clutch + tranny swap = starting to add up to the cost of an R-154 swap

Would this clutch work with r-154?....nope because of the 1Jz bellhousing. Different clutch all together right?

Old 08-21-2007, 03:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
truth versions only

my.IS Supporter 2006 ToyDrive Participant
kponti is an elite community memberkponti is an elite community memberkponti is an elite community memberkponti is an elite community memberkponti is an elite community memberkponti is an elite community memberkponti is an elite community memberkponti is an elite community memberkponti is an elite community memberkponti is an elite community memberkponti is an elite community member
Quote:
................. Can I keep my B&M short shifter?

Ok, My clutch is a spec stage 3. Thought I could use it but I think I read somewhere it may be a 6 puck (whatever that means?) which means I would need a new clutch.

New clutch + tranny swap = starting to add up to the cost of an R-154 swap

Would this clutch work with r-154?....nope because of the 1Jz bellhousing. Different clutch all together right?
Yes you should be able to use your B&M shifter

You do not need a new clutch, if your stage 3 is a 6puck, just buy a disk like the ACT disk ($80shipped), or any disk that from a Supra, SC300 car. I am assuming you have a solid flywheel and a sprung disk right? If not, just get a stock replacement disk for about $60
kponti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fiend

Thanks Kponti! Dishin out some rep for all. This post has been an incredible help to me with what I believe to be the most troublesome decision for the IS owner...The Transmission/Clutch setup.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fiend

You mean this disk?
ACT Clutch Modified Street Disc: TYSD018M
Code: TYSD018M
Your Price: $87.33

Old 08-21-2007, 04:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Guru

my.IS Supporter
Do you have the stock flywheel and PP? If so, you will need an unsprung disk.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)