LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 AM
Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzTaters96 View Post
I have had my IS for a little over a year now and I have been itching for boost since I started looking for one. I've been reading a lot but I know I need to do much much more research on going f/i. The biggest thing I can make out of all of these threads is that this is going to take $$$$$$$$.

I am still in the learning process, but I just wanted some feedback as to what path I'm currently considering for the future. (I figured I should start researching more now so that when I come into the money I'll have a better idea of what to do with it.

I have a 03 e-shift with 133k miles and probably won't be starting this project till much further down the road so the mileage will be higher. I am planning on piecing together a kit on my own to reach a goal of around 300whp until I get comfortable w/ the power and get a better understanding of boost.

My rough plans are:
Transmission: Upgraded valve body, sprag gears, and cooling (Upgraded torque converter?).

Engine:
Compression & leakdown testing to get an idea of what shape my current engine is in
GTE pistons, rods & head gasket

I need to do a ton more research on turbos, ems & tuning. I bought a couple of books, "How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems" as well as "Maximum Boost" although I have yet to read them all the way through.

Once I get used to the setup and comfortable with working with boost. I will most likely go for around 400whp maybe 500. At this point I will consider a 6spd.

ANY feedback would be extremely appreciated. Am I going about this all wrong?

Sorry for the long thread I tried to include everything I could think of atm.

I know I need to do more research I just want a push in the right direction.
Hey there 2jzTaters96 - First off, you're spot on: research, read, and more research! I've been doing that myself for about the last two years and have found tons of great information. I am not boosted myself, but I'm getting very close to finally having gathered all of the parts - that said, I've done loads of research into what exactly I'd need to make goals meet.

I'll start at the most important part - that compression test and leakdown test. It seems you're aware that this could make or break your plans for boost, as if your motor isn't healthy, that could drastically change which of your plans you need to do first.

GTE internals + GTE HG is a good and cost effective plan

I haven't aimed towards researching our autos, but from what I've read, a valvebody upgrade and the cooler is plenty for 300whp. I know of a guy locally who's pushing around 450whp with just that, and he's had no problems as of yet.

Just an fyi - the V160/V161 swap averages around 7-10k. $5000 or so for the transmission alone, plus a rear end swap and all the small things. I'm manual as is, but I'm going the Marlin Crower rebuilt R154 route since it's much more cost friendly and will do great for my power goals.

Choose carefully for your engine management. Specifically, do you have a tuner in the area that you plan to use? And if so, what are they most comfortable on? Research heavily into Standalone's vs. Piggybacks. You'll see plenty of negative reviews and horror stories on piggybacks on our cars, but you'll also see lot success stories.

That all said, good luck to you on your conquest of boost!

My Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 07:28 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboozy View Post
Hey there 2jzTaters96 - First off, you're spot on: research, read, and more research! I've been doing that myself for about the last two years and have found tons of great information. I am not boosted myself, but I'm getting very close to finally having gathered all of the parts - that said, I've done loads of research into what exactly I'd need to make goals meet.

I'll start at the most important part - that compression test and leakdown test. It seems you're aware that this could make or break your plans for boost, as if your motor isn't healthy, that could drastically change which of your plans you need to do first.

GTE internals + GTE HG is a good and cost effective plan

I haven't aimed towards researching our autos, but from what I've read, a valvebody upgrade and the cooler is plenty for 300whp. I know of a guy locally who's pushing around 450whp with just that, and he's had no problems as of yet.

Just an fyi - the V160/V161 swap averages around 7-10k. $5000 or so for the transmission alone, plus a rear end swap and all the small things. I'm manual as is, but I'm going the Marlin Crower rebuilt R154 route since it's much more cost friendly and will do great for my power goals.

Choose carefully for your engine management. Specifically, do you have a tuner in the area that you plan to use? And if so, what are they most comfortable on? Research heavily into Standalone's vs. Piggybacks. You'll see plenty of negative reviews and horror stories on piggybacks on our cars, but you'll also see lot success stories.

That all said, good luck to you on your conquest of boost!
Thanks a ton for all of the good info, this is exactly what I was looking for. The compression & leakdown tests will most definitely determine wether I'm boosting this engine or not. It seems to run pretty good, but I have no prior knowledge or experience to make that diagnosis. If things don't turn out well then I may just save up a mountain of $ for either a GTE swap or a very low mileage, already boosted GE swap (If such thing exists).

As for a tuner, I live in mid Missouri, so I have yet to hear of a reputable shop that even knows how to work on 2jz's, which could bring up some issues. However I have plenty of research to do in pretty much every department of going boosted.

I suppose the best place to start would be writing out my initial goals, taking down some notes off of this site, as well as the books?

Thanks again for the reply this gave me a lot of guidance & motivation. Good luck with your project as well! +rep for the great information!

STILL looking for a 5-speed...
post #108 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 07:45 AM
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzTaters96 View Post
Thanks a ton for all of the good info, this is exactly what I was looking for. The compression & leakdown tests will most definitely determine wether I'm boosting this engine or not. It seems to run pretty good, but I have no prior knowledge or experience to make that diagnosis. If things don't turn out well then I may just save up a mountain of $ for either a GTE swap or a very low mileage, already boosted GE swap (If such thing exists).

As for a tuner, I live in mid Missouri, so I have yet to hear of a reputable shop that even knows how to work on 2jz's, which could bring up some issues. However I have plenty of research to do in pretty much every department of going boosted.

I suppose the best place to start would be writing out my initial goals, taking down some notes off of this site, as well as the books?

Thanks again for the reply this gave me a lot of guidance & motivation. Good luck with your project as well! +rep for the great information!
Also keep in mind that your compression and leakdown test will tell you the condition of your current engine's internals and HG right now, as compared to your new set up with GTE internals, new rings, and new HG. I forgot to mention that you'll definitely want ARP headstuds for later down the road when you exceed 10lbs +/-

I would imagine there are very few boosted ge's for sale out there, since many just go for the GTE swap. Many folks prefer this because of the Front Facing Intake Manifold (FFIM), as compared to the GE which goes over the top. And of course because the internals were already designed for boost, you don't *have* to pull the motor apart.

Hehe you definitely want to find that tuner, as they can easily be the make or break on a setup. Bad tune can = blown engine, very quickly.

Absolutely - Write out your goals. And more importantly, research into why those are you goals, and what it'll take to reach them. You'll find that often times your goals will change, whether it be for name brand parts, bigger injectors, or whichever. This site can definitely be your main source of information, just remember to not take any one person's write up/review as law. For anything you're not conceptually sure about, books and google are awesome.

My Build

post #109 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboozy View Post
Also keep in mind that your compression and leakdown test will tell you the condition of your current engine's internals and HG right now, as compared to your new set up with GTE internals, new rings, and new HG. I forgot to mention that you'll definitely want ARP headstuds for later down the road when you exceed 10lbs +/-

I would imagine there are very few boosted ge's for sale out there, since many just go for the GTE swap. Many folks prefer this because of the Front Facing Intake Manifold (FFIM), as compared to the GE which goes over the top. And of course because the internals were already designed for boost, you don't *have* to pull the motor apart.

Hehe you definitely want to find that tuner, as they can easily be the make or break on a setup. Bad tune can = blown engine, very quickly.

Absolutely - Write out your goals. And more importantly, research into why those are you goals, and what it'll take to reach them. You'll find that often times your goals will change, whether it be for name brand parts, bigger injectors, or whichever. This site can definitely be your main source of information, just remember to not take any one person's write up/review as law. For anything you're not conceptually sure about, books and google are awesome.
Awesome, I will add the headstuds to the list of things I need to research (which is getting very long ) Thanks for the knowledge & time it is highly appreciated. I took a look at your build thread, things appear to be coming together man! Can't wait to see the finished product.

STILL looking for a 5-speed...
post #110 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Guru

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Garage
Good choice in books lol
Lots for you to read on this site.

Support The Troops - OIF Veteran - SSG of Soldiers - AND PROUD OF IT

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___
post #111 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 04:12 PM

i need help want to go on boost...

I have a toyota altezza gita stock engine 2jzge i have full body coilovers and megan racing toe arms in the rear, drilled and slotted rotors, w58 tranny stage 3 clutch, 18inch mrr designs 235/40 and front 215/35 and i have an m98 lsd diff..
other than that no engine mods. Well I am gonna buy a AEM or haltech or apexi ecu/computer for the car no matter still dont which one is better, but other than that i have 3000$$ to spend on a turbo kit maybe 4000 but looking at 3000 as a budget for boost. reminder computer will be bought no matter what need help with looking for a turbo kit tryna get at least 400 hp maybe 450 10-15 psi on boost, i would buy the cxracing turbo kit but swap out the turbo right when it gets here for a name brand turbo. but pleaseee help me out much appreciated.....
post #112 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 03:52 PM
Lurker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2each_hisown View Post
Talk to the CEO of SRT, hes a big help on questions you may have. Best company (imo) is SRT for easy 300-350hp is300. email is right here for you -->sales@swiftracing.com
Does SRT have some kit that's cheaper/less HP than their "version 3" kit? Because that's something like 400whp.
post #113 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 06:50 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 224 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtDyno View Post
Does SRT have some kit that's cheaper/less HP than their "version 3" kit? Because that's something like 400whp.
Not to my knowledge. Not to mention that it takes awhile to get anything from them. There are not many kits in production for this platform anymore...

Luke 6:41-42.
-------------------
Proud to represent JCE10MW. You won't find a better group of car guys.
post #114 of 115 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:08 PM

Hey guy's im going to buy Brian crower stage 2 cams along with BC cam gears for my internally stock lexus is300. It does have A full exaust & k&n intake. Do you guys know any information on the power I should be gaining or wether or not it's worth the upgrade. total cost of project will be around 1400$ Any ideas or opinions would greatly help thank u
post #115 of 115 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 05:10 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 132 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bino View Post
Hey guy's im going to buy Brian crower stage 2 cams along with BC cam gears for my internally stock lexus is300. It does have A full exaust & k&n intake. Do you guys know any information on the power I should be gaining or wether or not it's worth the upgrade. total cost of project will be around 1400$ Any ideas or opinions would greatly help thank u

Nothing you do to this car is worth it.

But if you really want to know it's nothing too significant because the factory computer isn't going to compensate enough to take advantage of the NA mods. My car has basically all that and only a tad more and while I know it's faster than a stock IS300 I don't know how fast/powerful it really is. But it sounds awesome and is fun to drive along with all my suspension and drivetrain mods and all that. So realize that only turbo is worth it to make more power.

And for future knowledge; do not post the same thing multiple times in irrelevant threads. That can earn you the ban hammer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page