Advertisement

post #47 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:55 PM
Fiend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allturbo98 View Post

What would be a good alternative to these? I know a standalone would be the best, but which one because AEM infinity sounds good, what about a MegaSquirt. For the Megasquirt, don't you have to put it together? Im still new to the engine managements. Most cars ive had just required upgraded turbo parts and a SAFC to get it to run good. Just trying not to spend too much money for only a little power.
If you have the money, then yes go infinity or pro EFI. The Megasquirt3 Pro is completely different than the MS3x. Token solutions used to make a pnp harness for it too. I'm having a custom harness built for mine. Only reason I got it was because I got it for $800 with an 02+ harness that is being altered to work with 01. I just haven't seen that many people with IS300's run a MS3pro or ms3x. A lot of success on this platform has been made on AEM's selection of standalones. You can likely go with a V2 with PnP harness that would suit your needs. I'll update once I get the new EMS rolling.
post #48 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:50 AM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuspuppy View Post
If you have the money, then yes go infinity or pro EFI. The Megasquirt3 Pro is completely different than the MS3x. Token solutions used to make a pnp harness for it too. I'm having a custom harness built for mine. Only reason I got it was because I got it for $800 with an 02+ harness that is being altered to work with 01. I just haven't seen that many people with IS300's run a MS3pro or ms3x. A lot of success on this platform has been made on AEM's selection of standalones. You can likely go with a V2 with PnP harness that would suit your needs. I'll update once I get the new EMS rolling.
What will work on a 01 year with AT? I have read some that some will not work with AT and that some don't have harnesses to hook up to 01 model years. What are people doing with these model years and transmissions if they go boost and want to keep the GE motor along with the AT?

post #49 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Fiend

Quote:
What will work on a 01 year with AT? I have read some that some will not work with AT and that some don't have harnesses to hook up to 01 model years. What are people doing with these model years and transmissions if they go boost and want to keep the GE motor along with the AT?
Run the stock ECU in parallel with the standalone. That way the stock ECU still operates the transmission . I'm having a harness custom made ... I'm not sure if I have all the answers to your question. I haven't installed my standalone yet. So I don't have any success stories of my own. Just filling you in that I'm trying the MS3pro
post #50 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:44 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 53 Post(s)

Quote:
Run the stock ECU in parallel with the standalone. That way the stock ECU still operates the transmission . I'm having a harness custom made ... I'm not sure if I have all the answers to your question. I haven't installed my standalone yet. So I don't have any success stories of my own. Just filling you in that I'm trying the MS3pro
Where did you get your MS3pro and how much if you don't mind me asking.
post #51 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansleeper View Post
No. Don't use a GTE head gasket at all. GE is fine and leaves the compression ratio somewhere around 9.3:1 or something like that. GYE head gasket drops it into the low 8's leaving it lacking power off boost.

When you put the new rods and pistons in have the block line honed for straightest and decked.

Depending on power install new ACL race bearings all around or new OEM bearings. ARP mains and head studs are a good idea as well.

However you will have to grind some inside the head when doing the head studs on a GE head. Its only on one or two but jus be prepared. The problem is the head on the studs and having to get a socket on them and torque them down... there's simply no room in a couple spots.
Well a 1.3 mm headgasket will net you a 9.53:1 ratio on stock ge internals was gonna do but did cams and the retard lowering compression not needed for me , no grind for ge head studs use 13mm 12pt 3/8 deep socket for arp studs just did mine.
post #52 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:17 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 132 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfunkmixer View Post
Well a 1.3 mm headgasket will net you a 9.53:1 ratio on stock ge internals was gonna do but did cams and the retard lowering compression not needed for me , no grind for ge head studs use 13mm 12pt 3/8 deep socket for arp studs just did mine.

Sure if you're on GE internals but those don't hold any power.
post #53 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Sure if you're on GE internals but those don't hold any power.
as in 400hp would need your definition of power seems like we will see when we get there as others have.
post #54 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
What would be a good alternative to these? I know a standalone would be the best, but which one because AEM infinity sounds good, what about a MegaSquirt. For the Megasquirt, don't you have to put it together? Im still new to the engine managements. Most cars ive had just required upgraded turbo parts and a SAFC to get it to run good. Just trying not to spend too much money for only a little power.
the million dollar question but with the dated info on the forum hard to say until we spend that money I cannot decide whether to go infinity, haltech, ecu masters, piggy, so far i see the issue is with the can network but no info on the new standalones working with can for the is3 for a true plug and play will need to call directly. haltech has some interesting new ecu's. still researching for ease of installation, features, tuners, self tuning options. or go with the dated options which are now becoming discontinued.

Last edited by pfunkmixer; 03-10-2017 at 02:42 PM.
post #55 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 132 Post(s)

Quote:
as in 400hp would need your definition of power seems like we will see when we get there as others have.

That won't be too reliable in the long haul. Also a time proven fact.
post #56 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:32 PM
Fiend

I don't think the info on the forums is dated. Just not a lot of info on the new stuff, doesn't mean the old stuff doesn't work. You just gotta talk to the people that have turbo IS300's already. They will lead you in the right direction.

I paid $800 for my MS3 Pro with harness.
post #57 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:35 PM
Fiend

Quote:

Where did you get your MS3pro and how much if you don't mind me asking.
I forgot to add I bought it on is300 classifieds on Facebook. Sometimes you gotta wait for those deals if you are really on a budget
post #58 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Can you give me a short haul estimate if I beat the shit out of it only on days that end in Y at 10-15 psi and please just the fax sir..
post #59 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 02:15 PM
Fiend

Quote:
Quote:
Can you give me a short haul estimate if I beat the shit out of it only on days that end in Y at 10-15 psi and please just the fax sir..
I know the question wasn't directed towards me but 10-15 psi is pushing it on the stock block. The tune is what really defines the longevity of the engine. Pre-existing health of the engine also matters. The car could blow on the Dyno with that kind of boost. So you might not even get to one weekend of beating the hell of it.
post #60 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I know the question wasn't directed towards me but 10-15 psi is pushing it on the stock block. The tune is what really defines the longevity of the engine. Pre-existing health of the engine also matters. The car could blow on the Dyno with that kind of boost. So you might not even get to one weekend of beating the hell of it.

Challenge accepted sir can you tell me whats gonna blow first at 15 psi with 220k on stock block internals. Though I will increase boost in increments to be on the safe side. BTW Is your ems supporting trac and dbw and is it pigged with a reset?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page