4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

NA-t vs gte

I just want to know people opinions based on their experiences. Which is the most reliable and cost effective way to turbo my vehicle (1st gen is). My goal is only about 350hp. I understand about buying quality turbo parts and all. I know it will take me a little time to piece together all of the parts but I don't have a problem building slowly until I get all of the necessary items to complete the vehicle. If someone would tell me about their experiences between the get and the NA-t builds it would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Good lord.

You are gonna get arguments both ways. Some people prefer the GTE because it's in a soopra and some others prefer NA-t because they know the engine they have. It's really more of a preference thing rather than a one-is-better-than-the-other thing. Search around, this is known to be the most common question in history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT

Last edited by FRaCTioNaL; 02-02-2017 at 02:52 PM.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Another main question would be how hard is it to find parts for the aristo engine? I'm guessing non of the Supra parts fit on the aristo? I've done a bit of searching and hear mixed reviews. Pretty much what you said, to each their own. Just would like to know the benefits of having the gte.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:38 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 132 Post(s)

There are no real benefits to the GTE.

GE-T is the way to go for us. (When I say GE-T I mean GE with GTE internals)
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Awesome thanks for your input. I was thinking that would be my best bet.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansleeper View Post

How much do the GTE internals usually go for? It's just the head gaskets, pistons, and connecting rods?

I assume I can get away with a piggyback ECU and I can still pass OBD2 emissions, right?
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 02:55 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobster View Post
How much do the GTE internals usually go for? It's just the head gaskets, pistons, and connecting rods?

I assume I can get away with a piggyback ECU and I can still pass OBD2 emissions, right?

No head gasket. That drops the compression too low in combination with the pistons and makes the engine far too under powered for off boost driving. As far as price it depends. I got mine brand new from a member and I think I paid $700-900 or something along those lines.

As far as computer I'm hesitant to say a piggyback will do that job. Sounds like you're trying to save money and I can tell you right now you won't get anywhere pleasant on this car trying to save money.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you're trying to save money and I can tell you right now you won't get anywhere pleasant on this car trying to save money.
I'm trying to save money? I just hear people with GE putting in GTE internals and just wanted to know the usual costs between the internals and the whole engine.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:49 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
I'm trying to save money? I just hear people with GE putting in GTE internals and just wanted to know the usual costs between the internals and the whole engine.

Computer wise, I was referring.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Quote:

...rather than paying for a standalone.

Therefore his response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcannon225 View Post
Pretty much what you said, to each their own. Just would like to know the benefits of having the gte.
No benefit. It was cool at the time because it was uncommon. Not the case nowadays.

Quote:

+1

If I had to do it again this is what I would do. Or brand new GTE shortblock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:

Computer wise, I was referring.
Oh. I meant by getting a piggyback I could keep the stock ECU and pass OBD2 emissions. If a standalone can pass OBD2 emissions, then I would take it over a piggyback.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 11:16 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Not sure if you want to go this route but I picked my GTE internals up used for cheap $130. Some one was selling them in one of the FB groups. I had them looked over they were fine. To freshen them up I had new GTE rings and bearings installed along with new arp rod bolts.

02 IS300 MSM LSD Auto ~415Hp/356Tq~
-GTE Internals-AEMV2,GT3582R-BC264,DW700cc-
-Tial Q BOV,Tial MVR 44mm-VB Upgrade,VRS 3inch Catback-
-Drag DR-31 18's Megan EZ Street coils-
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 11:32 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 53 Post(s)

When you installed the pistons and rods, did you do anything to the block or cylinder walls or did you just get the pistons and rods and install new rings and bearings with ARP bolts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansleeper
No head gasket. That drops the compression too low in combination with the pistons and makes the engine far too under powered for off boost driving. As far as price it depends. I got mine brand new from a member and I think I paid $700-900 or something along those lines.
So you can use GTE internals on a non boosted GE motor with a GE Headgasket, but you should use a GTE headgasket if go boosted on a GE motor?
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 12:11 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by allturbo98 View Post
When you installed the pistons and rods, did you do anything to the block or cylinder walls or did you just get the pistons and rods and install new rings and bearings with ARP bolts?

So you can use GTE internals on a non boosted GE motor with a GE Headgasket, but you should use a GTE headgasket if go boosted on a GE motor?

No. Don't use a GTE head gasket at all. GE is fine and leaves the compression ratio somewhere around 9.3:1 or something like that. GYE head gasket drops it into the low 8's leaving it lacking power off boost.

When you put the new rods and pistons in have the block line honed for straightest and decked.

Depending on power install new ACL race bearings all around or new OEM bearings. ARP mains and head studs are a good idea as well.

However you will have to grind some inside the head when doing the head studs on a GE head. Its only on one or two but jus be prepared. The problem is the head on the studs and having to get a socket on them and torque them down... there's simply no room in a couple spots.
FRaCTioNaL likes this.
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allturbo98 View Post

The GTE pistons have a lower compression ratio than GE pistons. If you don't turbo it, you'll actually end up with less power than a stock GE. He is just saying you'll have an an even lower compression ratio of you add a GTE head gasket with GTE pistons. Having just GTE pistons/rods will be good enough for boost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page