JDM 2JZ-GE swap into IS300 - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

DannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community member
JDM 2JZ-GE swap into IS300

Hey guys,

before you tell me to search im just going to say i did but all i could find was threads about swapping in a GTE. OR ge swap threads but everyone said was "just put in a GTE" lol. Btw if this is in the wrong section please change it over to the right one.

This is a 2004 5sp is300 with 180,000km (Canadian)

The other day i was just accelerating not even to hard and the engine just started to sound like crap and smoke was everywhere, smoke was from oil leaking onto hot engine parts and i have no idea what happened but it barley wants to start and when it does it sounds like shit. Something is definitely wrong internally, did i mention its leakin oil? lol

Anyways when i got it through a used car lot i got a pretty sweet warranty on the driver-train so this is just in case they want to screw me and i have to swap the motor myself.

I know about the oil pan issue thats NBD. but what kind of jdm engine can be used? generation? out of what vehicle is best or is the easiest swap. are all the jdm VVT-I engines compatible going into the is300? Should i be worried about sensors, egr ect.... I also live in toronto and there are TONS of jdm engine shops in my area, so sourcing a jdm motor is nbd

Any advice would be amazing, as this is my DD and need to get it back up and running ASAP. hopefully the warranty will pay for it all so this is just a fall back in case they dont.

Thanks for any future advice

Cheers

Danny
DannysIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Loyalist

bmxrush is an elite community memberbmxrush is an elite community memberbmxrush is an elite community memberbmxrush is an elite community memberbmxrush is an elite community memberbmxrush is an elite community memberbmxrush is an elite community memberbmxrush is an elite community memberbmxrush is an elite community memberbmxrush is an elite community memberbmxrush is an elite community member
Have you done your regular maintenance like spark plugs, Throttle body cleaning, air filter, maf and all that other good stuff?

It could be something as simple as that.. Except the oil leak. But I'd check that out if you haven't yet before you invest all that time and money.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Aficionado

svv323 is an elite community membersvv323 is an elite community membersvv323 is an elite community membersvv323 is an elite community membersvv323 is an elite community membersvv323 is an elite community membersvv323 is an elite community membersvv323 is an elite community membersvv323 is an elite community membersvv323 is an elite community membersvv323 is an elite community member
There's no difference between the usdm and jdm versions for the Ge engines. Correct me if I'm wrong though but I do remember a couple other members also said this awhile back.
svv323 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

DannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community memberDannysIS300 is an elite community member
I have done all the fluids and was going to do plugs in the next couple weeks while i was doing that i was going to clean the intake, tb, maf while i have everything apart. I am pretty sure something terrible has happened internally on the engine. I just hope the warranty will take care of this...

Thx for the info on the engine its good to know any VVTI will work, so i guess just trying to get my hands on one that is as new as i can get. Does anyone know the last year they produced a VVTI in a jdm version?

If i do have to swap myself which i have all the tools for and some knowledge as i have done a swap on my 86 mr2 but have never done a inline 6. Are there any particular engine components i should change just in case to prevent future break downs. IE water pump, oil pump, timing belt ect....
Old 06-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

also i have been reading about the jdm ecu, if i use just JDM engine can i use all of my other stuff off my usdm motor? engine harness, ecu, maf sensor ect? or do i still need to run the jdm ecu no matter what?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Woah so warranty will cover 1400 and still left with a bill of 2700 bucks!! looks like im buying a jdm motor and doing it myself! 1000 bucks for the motor and i have all the tools to do it.

Does anyone know of the egr problem? is it hard to adapt the egr onto a jdm motor? and if so will the car still run properly wihtout it?

I need your help guys please let me know as i gotta start this swap ASAP

Cheers
Old 06-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Aficionado

Megomaniac is an elite community memberMegomaniac is an elite community memberMegomaniac is an elite community memberMegomaniac is an elite community memberMegomaniac is an elite community memberMegomaniac is an elite community memberMegomaniac is an elite community memberMegomaniac is an elite community memberMegomaniac is an elite community memberMegomaniac is an elite community memberMegomaniac is an elite community member
afaik there is no egr in a is300. if the jdm motor has it plug it up with some jb weld.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lurker

Slow_Supra is an elite community memberSlow_Supra is an elite community memberSlow_Supra is an elite community memberSlow_Supra is an elite community memberSlow_Supra is an elite community memberSlow_Supra is an elite community memberSlow_Supra is an elite community memberSlow_Supra is an elite community memberSlow_Supra is an elite community memberSlow_Supra is an elite community memberSlow_Supra is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megomaniac View Post
afaik there is no egr in a is300. if the jdm motor has it plug it up with some jb weld.
this or you can buy the egr block off plates.
Slow_Supra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lurker

05silverIS is an elite community member05silverIS is an elite community member05silverIS is an elite community member05silverIS is an elite community member05silverIS is an elite community member05silverIS is an elite community member05silverIS is an elite community member05silverIS is an elite community member05silverIS is an elite community member05silverIS is an elite community member05silverIS is an elite community member
Well if I had my motor out doing my swap you could buy it.. It only has 80,000 on it
05silverIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

so there is no egr on the usdm motor?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lurker

Mawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysIS300 View Post
so there is no egr on the usdm motor?
There's no EGR on the JDM
Mawtin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

u guys are confusing my question lol. i originally asked if i can adapt the usdm egr (if there is one) onto a jdm motor? and if so is it difficult/ will it through codes and make the car run weird without a jdm ecu? i need to make this thing legal for when emission times come. no egr means big fine in ontario, that is if it came stock with a egr which most modern cars do.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lurker

Mawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community memberMawtin is an elite community member
Quote:
u guys are confusing my question lol. i originally asked if i can adapt the usdm egr (if there is one) onto a jdm motor? and if so is it difficult/ will it through codes and make the car run weird without a jdm ecu? i need to make this thing legal for when emission times come. no egr means big fine in ontario, that is if it came stock with a egr which most modern cars do.
Yes its possible to put EGR on the JDM head, or you could interchange the USDM head onto the JDM block

Another thing to note is that the USDM has more power at the crank than the JDM
Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

dang really? well i do believe the head is still good on the usdm motor. how much less ponys are we talkin? i thought the gte's were only more powerful in the usdm market due to the gentleman agreement.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lurker

Quote:
dang really? well i do believe the head is still good on the usdm motor. how much less ponys are we talkin? i thought the gte's were only more powerful in the usdm market due to the gentleman agreement.
Oh, my bad. I misread my research.
You're correct about the GTE's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)