LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:49 AM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfunkmixer View Post
Thats what I like to see, why you going with internal wastegate set up? with the proefi do you know if they have dbw and trac there forum is relatively new and bland?

Internal for quicker response and recirculation. Same thing with the BOV being internal. Also I don't have to buy two wastegates and or a bov. It can do trac and dbw. I haven't heard of anyone do the dbw but I have for the trac. Stock computer will obviously help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRaCTioNaL View Post
Where's your power steering reservoir? I have mine next to the IM but am looking to put it elsewhere to be make some space for removal.

I have a relocating reservoir that bolts to the strut tower. I bought it from a member who I think had it made custom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:19 AM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Gotcha. I was trying to somehow fit the stock one under the clutch master but it's kinda big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:03 PM
Virgin Magnet

Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansleeper View Post
Internal for quicker response and recirculation. Same thing with the BOV being internal. Also I don't have to buy two wastegates and or a bov. It can do trac and dbw. I haven't heard of anyone do the dbw but I have for the trac. Stock computer will obviously help.

I have a relocating reservoir that bolts to the strut tower. I bought it from a member who I think had it made custom.
how is an internal wastegate more responsive? I'd go external over and over and over again. I have an external that is recirculated....responsiveness of the wastegate has more to do with manifold design than anything else

why is everyone so intent to get rid of the stock ecu?

infiniti can do DBW, but i've only seen one person get it right. I use AEM and have trac, dbw, vvti either way, and all stock sensors.... why do people want to complicate things.... DBW controls TRAC so if you get rid of DBW obviously trac will follow, and cruise control...

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon

Last edited by somguy2u; 03-16-2017 at 01:08 PM.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by somguy2u View Post
how is an internal wastegate more responsive? I'd go external over and over and over again. I have an external that is recirculated....responsiveness of the wastegate has more to do with manifold design than anything else

why is everyone so intent to get rid of the stock ecu?

infiniti can do DBW, but i've only seen one person get it right. I use AEM and have trac, dbw, vvti either way, and all stock sensors.... why do people want to complicate things.... DBW controls TRAC so if you get rid of DBW obviously trac will follow, and cruise control...

I'm keeping the stock ECU and DBW....

The internal gate is more responsive because it is at and directly bypasses the turbine. So when it opens and closes it's all right there no lag with pipe lengths.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:41 PM
Virgin Magnet

Quote:
I'm keeping the stock ECU and DBW....

The internal gate is more responsive because it is at and directly bypasses the turbine. So when it opens and closes it's all right there no lag with pipe lengths.
this is just false, the actual difference it makes is peanuts... if you were talking 2 psi maybe, but when you start talking real pressure that matters it makes no difference in response and will ultimately be a liability. pipe lengths and pressure waves based on piston firing again goes back to manifold design - gas at pressure needs to be treated like a fluid - pipe length means squat, it's more about timing of the pressure waves, equal length runners is a big deal for this reason as internal combustion engines are already timed by nature. but you get faster spool at low rpm since all pressure waves all combine in a log manifold, but less efficient at higher rpm and that's where response and high end hp is lost due to the increased turbulence. if you're worried about pipe length and running an equal length header you're ridiculous...

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon

Last edited by somguy2u; 03-16-2017 at 01:52 PM.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by somguy2u View Post
this is just false, the actual difference it makes is peanuts... if you were talking 2 psi maybe, but when you start talking real pressure that matters it makes no difference in response and will ultimately be a liability. pipe lengths and pressure waves based on piston firing again goes back to manifold design - gas at pressure needs to be treated like a fluid - pipe length means squat, it's more about timing of the pressure waves, equal length runners is a big deal for this reason as internal combustion engines are already timed by nature. but you get faster spool at low rpm since all pressure waves all combine in a log manifold, but less efficient at higher rpm and that's where response and high end hp is lost due to the increased turbulence. if you're worried about pipe length and running an equal length header you're ridiculous...

Never did think about it that way. I guess my only savings is not having to get the custom exhaust to recirculate and not having to buy 2 separate wastegates. I've always read that response difference is noticeable but I don't personally have experience so there's that.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:20 PM
Virgin Magnet

you don't need two wastegates, just piping. a single 44mm wastegate is good for just about anything... big turbo low boost means big wastegate, little turbo big boost means small wastegate.

in the end its an exhaust bypass - nothing more. response will be in the limiting bost area - or preventing the temporary boost spike on spool, that's all there is for response in a wastegate.

a large single is always better than 2 little turbos.

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Never did think about it that way. I guess my only savings is not having to get the custom exhaust to recirculate and not having to buy 2 separate wastegates. I've always read that response difference is noticeable but I don't personally have experience so there's that.
I can agree with somguy2u on internal wastegate and single turbo issue. My take is most manufactures turbo their fleet with internal wastegates some to fool you with with that quick spool boost spike being small and internal on that test drive then falls flat in higher rpm the rdx was one that made me sick like they just did it to put the badge on it. I thought from your pics you had a single on there anyway.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcannon225 View Post
Thanks for your reply man! I just have a measly intake and exhaust nothing special at all. Reason for me asking is I have not seen a post about someone making the N/A any faster. So I thought I'd see if anyone had before. I will most likely just try to save for boost
There are several stickied threads dedicated to this. Granted, many of the links are old and don't work any more, but there's still a lot of good info in there.

Here's a good place to start, if you'd like to read up on NA modifications:

Newbie Go Fast Stuff Link thread -- READ HERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page