Lexus IS Forum banner

Getting a down pipe that fits

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  garrettej8 
#1 ·
Personally I hate creating threads.. but I'm a little confused and curious.

I'm finishing up my first turbo build and have come to something I never even considered. How do I get a downpipe that works with my setup?

Do most people take the car to a shop on a trailer? Have a friend do it? Buy random stuff off the internet that looks like it will work?

Kits I guess would make this easy but I have a Suprastore manifold, BW EFR8374, and SRT cat back which is a unique combination so I'm a little lost. Any advice and experience is a great help

#2 ·
Since my car was already at the shop, I had to get a custom section made between my cx racing downpipe and the greddy exhaust. As far as I know there aren't any turbo kits available with a full exhaust that lines up and everything. It all depends really on the manifold design, placement of the turbo and where the end of the downpipe ends up being.

#5 ·
Not sure where I'd put this but I'll put it here.

For anyone in the future... the BW EFR 8374 0.91 a/r (or any with the internal wastegate in the B2 frame) does not fit our chassis. At least with a Suprastore manifold. The wastegate canister is blocked by the strut tower and the turbo would have to be 3 inches off the manifold flange to work.

#8 ·
I was just thinking about the downpipe and towing to a shop aspect. It's possible to mock up your own and take it to a shop. If you buy some piping and flanges you can cut and mark where the pieces line up and just tape them for mock up before having them welded.

I had to do this for my ABS/Catch Can bracket. I cut and bent the metal at home and vise gripped them all together before taking them to my shop for welding. Not the same job but the concept is the same:

I think the same concept can be applied to avoid having the entire car towed just for that.

#10 ·
My s363's hot side is extremely close to my hood. Some of the skeleton and sound deadening material had to be modified/cut to close the hood. I'm glad the fabric on the underside of the hood is fireproof. I'm getting a turbo blanket eventually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.