LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Runs on Rice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malekreza11
dont drill te hole, and dont flip no nozzle.
doh!! TE's instruction said to use a .94mm bit to make the hole in the jet valve bigger. Their picture also showed that the jet valve is flipped around....

Attaching original TE instruction image:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clip_image002.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	6939  

Last edited by NaFooEsi; 04-10-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaFooEsi
doh!! TE's instruction said to use a .94mm bit to make the hole in the jet valve bigger. Their picture also showed that the jet valve is flipped around....

yea, dont do what the instruction manual says... Dont drill the Jet valve too large and dont flip the Jet valve nozzle either.

2011 ZCP Melbourne Red M3 Coupe. 6MT
post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Guru

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malekreza11
yea, dont do what the instruction manual says... Dont drill the Jet valve too large and dont flip the Jet valve nozzle either.

Wish we knew that beforehand! LOL. You figure...there are instructions and you would want to follow them right? Wonder if these instructions were from the great IS300GTE's legacy where he proclaimed omipotent understanding of all things cars.

The way that you guys have done it seem easy and straight forward...it literally would work the exact same way as stock when done as such. Wonder why TE/IS300GTE thought they needed to mod it further?

Car sold to a good new home!

Full Aristo 2JZ-GTE BPU++ - Getrag v161 - EMU - Brembo BBK - CCW Classics 9F/10.5R - 255/35F - 285/30R - AAR Arms - GReddy Type-S - Hotchkis Sways - Teck Kit - Prolex / Cusco STB - Full ICE - HKS Drager - Prosport Prem Boost/EGT/FP - Innovative LC-1/XD-16 - Goodridge SS - TRD F/R Underbrace - Greddy Profec B Spec II - Megan Toe Arms

post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Follower

As I'm currently doing this project ....
I am plugging up the stock FPR shown in pic above as #3.... nevermind 'm trying to reinvent the wheel. just follow above instructions

2003 IS3xx V4.2 Titan Tuned

v1.0-2003 Stock 2JZGE VVTi N/A
v2.0-1999 JDM Swap 2JZ-GTE VVTi TT
v3.0-Built 2JZ GTE VVTi Single Turbonetics BPU
v4.0-Built 2JZ GTE non-VVTi Single Schwitzer APU++

Last edited by Japsfinest; 04-16-2006 at 01:02 PM.
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Podiatrist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeCKis300
Wish we knew that beforehand! LOL. You figure...there are instructions and you would want to follow them right? Wonder if these instructions were from the great IS300GTE's legacy where he proclaimed omipotent understanding of all things cars.

The way that you guys have done it seem easy and straight forward...it literally would work the exact same way as stock when done as such. Wonder why TE/IS300GTE thought they needed to mod it further?
I don't believe either one of these effects pulling fuel from the other side of the hump.

Drilling out the Jet valve allows your fuel sensor to read alittle more accurately.

Moving it simply moves it.

difficulty 2001 6spd
difficulty 2008 Audi A4 2.0T S-Line
difficulty 1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab

Boost Stage 9.35++* BPU*3 (Rebuilding the blue deep throat)
First built 2JZ-GE Tri-Turbo
(3) GT40R, 264 cams, 850cc, J&S, V160, Haltech E6X, portmatched head, Q45 TB
post #21 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 11:53 PM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambchop11078
Here's what you need to do to the fuel pump assembly.

1. Drill a hole in the plastic fuel pump assembly.
2. Get a bulk head fitting and install the fitting on that new hole.
3. Install the return line from the FPR to the end of the fitting that's exposed.
4. The other end of the fitting that will be in the tank needs to connect to the white ventricle.
5. Cut the line that's connected between the stock FPR and white ventricle.
6. Either pinch the nipple that is now exposed on the stock FPR closed and weld it shut or get 1/4" fuel line, 1/4" bolt that has no threads on the shoulder. Cut off the threated area of the bolt, insert the bolt in the 1/4" line and put a hose clamp on it. Put the other end of the rubber line on the stock FPR.
6. Run rubber line from the bulkhead fitting to the end of the white ventricle that the stock FPR was connected to.
Question??????
WHY ?
I did steps 1-3and 5, I JB welded the Fuel Pressure Regulator shut. and also shut where the FPR use to plug into. What I don't know or understand is why do I need (step 4,6 )to conneect from the fitting to the white ventricle. why can't I let it just freepour into the tank. from whta I see by blowing and sucking into the white ventricle it just re-routes but does nothing more. Am I missing something very important? I have driven the car maybe 50 miles and it doesn't act up. is it building pressure or something to do with the passenger tank that I don't realize?

2003 IS3xx V4.2 Titan Tuned

v1.0-2003 Stock 2JZGE VVTi N/A
v2.0-1999 JDM Swap 2JZ-GTE VVTi TT
v3.0-Built 2JZ GTE VVTi Single Turbonetics BPU
v4.0-Built 2JZ GTE non-VVTi Single Schwitzer APU++
post #22 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Guru

You need to have the return fuel flow through the contraption because it is the mechanism that will draw fuel from the other side of the tank. It works based on Bernoulli's Principle. The return flow of fuel essentially creates a low pressure region within the contraption which will draw fuel from the other side of the tank. Without this, you car will still work fine. You will just loose about 4 usable gallons that you can't draw from the other side.

Full Aristo 2JZ-GTE BPU++ - Getrag v161 - EMU - Brembo BBK - CCW Classics 9F/10.5R - 255/35F - 285/30R - AAR Arms - GReddy Type-S - Hotchkis Sways - Teck Kit - Prolex / Cusco STB - Full ICE - HKS Drager - Prosport Prem Boost/EGT/FP - Innovative LC-1/XD-16 - Goodridge SS - TRD F/R Underbrace - Greddy Profec B Spec II - Megan Toe Arms
post #23 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 11:50 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
I don't believe either one of these effects pulling fuel from the other side of the hump.

Drilling out the Jet valve allows your fuel sensor to read alittle more accurately.

Moving it simply moves it.
Drilling out the Jet valve has nothing to do with the fuel reading!

I think the rumors of non-working fuel gauges has to do with the early pioneers that didn't know how to use the fuel draw contraption which meant they couldn't get access to the last 4 gallons of fuel. This lead them to think the fuel gauge didn't work. If you set it up right as shown in this thread...you should most definitely have a working fuel gauge.

There has also been rumors of the stock ECU calculating fuel level from MAF/injector duty cycle. While I believe the ECU does use it to some extent, as an engineer...this is counter intuitive. You would never derive a reading when there is an actually float that can give you the true value.

So change the injectors/standalone/tuning all you want. Get the jet valve contraption right and you will have a working fuel gauge!!!

post #24 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 11:59 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaFooEsi

Jason,

I don't remember exactly how u put this together...but I think you have the draw line on the wrong fitting. Is your draw line on the middle jet valve fitting? It needs to be on the other short one. If it is...the return fuel is going straight to the other side of the tank.

Also, put the thingy back in the stock orientation. If the jet valve is not above the "cup thing" underneath it catching the return flow, the jet valve will be aerating the fuel in the tank which you don't want.

post #25 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 12:06 AM
Guru

Drilling out the jet valve would probably be beneficial to you guys that are running much higher flow rates as the stock small orifice would be limiting the return flow rate, building pressure in the contraption and nullfying Bernoulli's Principle.

post #26 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 01:48 AM
Not Officially Back

Quote:
There has also been rumors of the stock ECU calculating fuel level from MAF/injector duty cycle. While I believe the ECU does use it to some extent, as an engineer...this is counter intuitive. You would never derive a reading when there is an actually float that can give you the true value.

Counterintuitivity aside, did you see my testing that resulting in me saying the MAF reading is very important?

1) MAF completely unplugged. Car/tranny in limp mode, gas gauge drops by 1/4 tank increments regardless of the float gauge

2) MAF plugged in, but wrapped in a rag in engine bay (not in air intake stream, just hanging). No limp mode, but gas gauge still drops by 1/4 tank increments. No love from float gauge.

3) MAF plugged in and installed in air intake. Dead on accurate gas gauge.

Unless the car was throwing a code for MAF voltage out of range, which for some reason bypasses the float gauge and disables the gas gauge, the MAF has some important function here... but it's not the most important thing.

I think you're probably right with the saddle tank thing and it's effects on early gas gauges.

Toyomoto Supercharged '03 TCM E-Shift IS300
404 rwhp/325rwtq 18.5 psi pump gas

*NEW* ISX50 Parts Catalog | IS300 BPU Parts Catalog

Rep... it's not just for the Parking Lot
post #27 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 02:02 AM
Addict

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DAS: but this means that the ecu is also reading/modding the floater readings - Did you try to do the same, but see if there is a fuel pump pinout that would say "I'm sending info about the fuel level to the ecu" or vice versa "the ecu is sending info about how much fuel should be left in the tank"? - just curious, as I actually had this in mind...

Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
But I think for most people "fine" is usually good enough.
For power hungry people "fine" isn't going to cut it.
post #28 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 02:10 AM
Not Officially Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeckniX
DAS: but this means that the ecu is also reading/modding the floater readings - Did you try to do the same, but see if there is a fuel pump pinout that would say "I'm sending info about the fuel level to the ecu" or vice versa "the ecu is sending info about how much fuel should be left in the tank"? - just curious, as I actually had this in mind...
Didn't go beyond the MAF, since once I plugged it back in and had a gas gauge I was golden again.

Whatever it is, for the tank to drop by 1/4 increments is pretty drastic. They obviously don't give a lot of credit to that float gauge... it seems like it's only an emergency backup for the MAF or some other calculation that is only used every 1/4 tank.

post #29 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 07:49 AM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasgalloway
Didn't go beyond the MAF, since once I plugged it back in and had a gas gauge I was golden again.

Whatever it is, for the tank to drop by 1/4 increments is pretty drastic. They obviously don't give a lot of credit to that float gauge... it seems like it's only an emergency backup for the MAF or some other calculation that is only used every 1/4 tank.

Das, I saw your thread and yes, I agree that the MAF does play a role like I mentioned. However, I believe the float is the primary sensor and the MAF is secondary. The MAF is the load sensor in terms of instantaneous gas usage but the float will still determine your absolute gas level.

post #30 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Not Officially Back

Quote:
Das, I saw your thread and yes, I agree that the MAF does play a role like I mentioned. However, I believe the float is the primary sensor and the MAF is secondary. The MAF is the load sensor in terms of instantaneous gas usage but the float will still determine your absolute gas level.
Would be interesting to disconnect the float and watch only the MAF calculation to see how accurate it is then....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page