Lexus IS Forum banner

cxracing turbo kit..........installed

79K views 301 replies 27 participants last post by  pfunkmixer 
#1 ·
so after back and forth with the 2 "budget" turbo kit company's there was a winner. got it and went over everything and it looked great. it took about 2 days, 5hrs at a time to install and go over. the oil drain line is a complete pain in the ass!!!! but once done everything else is cake honestly (dosn't hurt when my back yard is a 7 bay shop either:wink: ) but all in all it was a great buy. turbo works for now, but going to be replaced when I find suitable replacement. already swapped bov for an hks ssqv (my fav). exhaust and downpipe mated up no problems or clearance issues. only thing is there are only 2 bungs for the O2 sensors, will have to weld up a third. and an intercooler coupler didnt fit well so I used one I had lying around. left is to install sti 440 injectors, walbro pump, tune the aem fic and little crap like the turbo blanket and catch can. the kit is worth the money.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
definitely feels peppier than stock thats for sure. semi tuned so its not as rich now. O2 sensors keep throwing codes so the factory ecu steps in over my fic every so often. but clear the light to run/tune it for now and it moves great! still havnt put injectors or walbro in yet, I want to get the O2 sensor thing ironed out first. as well as as I'm installing the kit I noticed a coolant leak developing where the head and block meet between cyl 3/4 :crying: so basically get things ironed out while getting ahold of a gte bottom end. Ill try to get video up and more pics. like I said all in all a great kit for the price!

#7 ·
the O2 sensor thing is probably the biggest hurdle thus far. I've got the plug n play boomslang harness with the fic, so I need to figure out what and how to wire up both bank 1 sensors. So I'm honestly driving around with my small cornwell scanner plugged in and hitting the clear button when ever the light comes on.......it works so sue me lol. yeah when I got the car someone put a cheapo water pump in it and it blew as I was driving, overheating briefly. so I knew the head gasket would eventually be an issue, especially at 180k.
I also did the valve body rod upgrade before the turbo kit and it definitely shifts allot harder 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th! tip: anyone doing it should pull the trans, flip it over and do the mod. I should have, would have made it sooooo much easier :/

#8 ·
lmao whatever works, what happens when the cel light comes on? the car starts acting up unless you clear it? yes this O2 sesnor mod has me shitting bricks i have no idea what to do on that.. and yes i had the engine and tranny out of the car it was super easy to do the valve body upgrade like this i honestly was expecting it to be more complicated but it was not

#9 ·
when the light comes on the ecu thinks the O2s arn't working so it then thinks its running lean so it dumps gas into the engine. essentially un tuning the fic tune. so each one battles for control. I clear it and the fic takes back over control. I needed new O2s anyways, kept getting heater wire codes (from taking them in/out so often, might have worn the wires from twisting). I'd like O2 sims to make life easier but token dosnt offer the plug n plays anymore :/

#11 ·
the sensors arnt installed in the downpipe, its only got 2 bungs for sensors and there both way to for the factory length of the sensors. so I've got to extend the wires to even screw them in. I do unplug them as well, just with constant screwing them in and out the wires tend to still get caught or tangled on stuff (factory to header back to factory for emissions etc)

#14 ·
so basically you are riding with none of the factory sensor installed on your down pipe, i inmagine you only have the wideband O2 sensor installed on the downpipe and other hole is plugged correct? this is why the light turns on eventually and you then have to clear it .. and it runs fine like this? sorry if im confused or sound confusing

#13 ·
So they didn't factor this O2 Sensor issue into their design?

#15 ·
yes exactly like that. there plugged in but hanging loose, so I eventually reset the light. I guess they didn't factor it in to the design, but its not a big deal. I will just weld in another bung or 2. the big deal was the oil drain line that needed to be factored in (I will say it again, giant pain in the ass!)

#17 ·
the tapping wasnt the problem, not even close. the clocking of the turbo so the drain would face down, or semi down to drain the oil and the routing of the line with the manifold in the way. had to position the center section so it all had a decent route out/down. it sits sorta at a 45 degree angle. its not the best but it drains, I made sure. Ill try to get a better pic when its back in the air

Attachments

#19 ·
lol yeah i have mines the exact same way, i saw the same issues too when i started putting together the manifold and turbo on the engine and there is no other way except the way u have it. sits a little side ways like 45 degrees but it is the only way the bottom drain nipple ( or whatever u call it ) and drain hose will not touch any of the hot side of the turbo at least for me, and worst i have a turbo blanket and to fit the turbo blanket the same drain port gets in the way really bad! It will have to go in just like that

#24 ·
What made you decide this over XSPower?

#25 ·
honestly the customer service was the reason.
I emailed xspower several times and got dicked around. I called several times and left messages. I texted the customer service number from the site, got a short response and basically said email us again and we will answer it (could tell I was bothering the guy even over text message). so emailed again and no response.

emailed cx racing with questions, they got back to me asap. asked more questions, got back to me asap. so I ordered from them. box came a couple days later, some damage to it. I emailed them again and they got back to me asap telling me if there was anything damaged or missing to let them know and they would take care of it. I installed the kit, had a problem with a coupler and emailed them again. they gave me a customer service number to call, so I did. low and behold there was an answer from an actual person. I had to cut it short to get back to work. but judging from everything thus far I'm sure it would have worked out just fine.

there were things I liked about the xspower kit, namely the manifold. but both kits had the same intercooler kit, same knock off turbo/bov/wastegate(ones Vband ones 4bolt), and oil line kits. I tried to give xspower my money to no avail, so I paid a whole whopping 106 bux more for some very good customer service and an awesome turbo kit!

#27 ·
didnt know about the az lexus fb club. I do know where the sandbar is off the 10, what time is the meet? Ill be off i10/elliot around 2. you can pm me info if you want. Ill give you my number and answer any questions I can that you have.

#30 ·
And the aem fic with harness is all I need? With pump and injectors right? If I go with these guys. Then there is welding two bungs. No more than that?

#32 ·
I used the fic with plug n play harness, what you decide to use for fuel management is up to you. injectors are a must in my book with any turbo kit, and again what size and where you get them is up to you. I went with 440cc subarus. you can weld in as many bungs as you need for however you have your o2 situation setup. Im going to weld in a few more just in case and cap them off. will use as needed I guess.

Only $106 more? The XSPower Kit is $1350 . I'm having the same issue with emailing the guy. He seems annoyed. I would have given him my money yesterday ... But he wouldn't answer my questions.
that was my first email from them saying it was 1,350. emailed them with a few more questions and they said that "deal" was over and the kit was now 1,500. so right there I was off put. cx racings was 1,606 shipped. yeah same problem here too, had allot of money to give someone who was willing to take it lol

the kits give you pretty much the full on basics to turbo your cars. engine/fuel management is left up to you as is bigger turbos etc for however crazy you want to get. can add the kits to a full on gte build if you want. what I went with isnt what everyone will go with as far as options and add ons.

#36 ·
questions are fine my man, thats why the forums here. its working for me so far lol.

looking good! thats why I like the xs manifold over the cx, turbo sits a little more forward and still clears the abs crap. but if were both having the oil drain issue its pretty much 6 to one, 1/2 dozen to the other kinda thing.
You guys are making me jealous
:bah:
haha

#35 ·
questions are fine my man, thats why the forums here. its working for me so far lol.

looking good! thats why I like the xs manifold over the cx, turbo sits a little more forward and still clears the abs crap. but if were both having the oil drain issue its pretty much 6 to one, 1/2 dozen to the other kinda thing.

#38 ·
I heard you had to modify your y pipe or something with the XS Power kit.

#43 ·
the cx pipe does sit close to the firewall, but I just heat wrapped mine before hand. and the cx midpipe mates perfectly to where the factory Y pipe sat. it really was an easy install all around. and yes the check engine light is a pain :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.