Anyone ever consider the Aisin AY-6 trans in the IS300? - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dcharms
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Anyone ever consider the Aisin AY-6 trans in the IS300?

I'm looking for NEW (as opposed to used) manual transmission upgrade options for the IS300.

I know there are tons of posts about upgrading the W55 to a W58, R154, V160 or V161, but what about the AY-6? I did a few searches and came up with zilch. The AY-6 is a currently-in-production transmission built by Asian that's used in the Cadillac CTS, Toyota Tacoma, IS250 and the new Camaro. According to Aisin's web site, it can take over 345 ft-lbs of torque This may not sound like much to some of you, but the only specs on the R-154 I can find say it's rated for 350 ft-lbs - which suggests they are about equivalent.

See Aisin's web site at Specialist manufacturer of manual transmissions, Aisin AI

I'd like to find a NEW trans. as opposed to a used R154, V160 or V161.

Also, anyone know of any official torque specs? Everyone seems to talk about HP with transmissions which makes no sense. Gear trains are rated in torque [ft-lbs], not HP. A 400 HP engine with peak HP at 4,000 RPM is delivering 525 ft-lbs of torque to the trans, while A 400 HP engine with peak HP at 6,000 RPM is only delivering 350 ft-lbs of torque to the trans.

I've heard a new version of the R154 might be in the Pontiac Soltice / Saturn Sky, but I have no idea if this is true.

Thanks!
John Pawlak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 08:29 AM
Extremist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
While new is nice the R154 is widely used for off roading so I suspect you can get quality rebuild.

You can get a new v160 if you want to pay for it I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pawlak View Post
I'm looking for NEW (as opposed to used) manual transmission upgrade options for the IS300.

I know there are tons of posts about upgrading the W55 to a W58, R154, V160 or V161, but what about the AY-6? I did a few searches and came up with zilch. The AY-6 is a currently-in-production transmission built by Asian that's used in the Cadillac CTS, Toyota Tacoma, IS250 and the new Camaro. According to Aisin's web site, it can take over 345 ft-lbs of torque This may not sound like much to some of you, but the only specs on the R-154 I can find say it's rated for 350 ft-lbs - which suggests they are about equivalent.

See Aisin's web site at Specialist manufacturer of manual transmissions, Aisin AI

I'd like to find a NEW trans. as opposed to a used R154, V160 or V161.

Also, anyone know of any official torque specs? Everyone seems to talk about HP with transmissions which makes no sense. Gear trains are rated in torque [ft-lbs], not HP. A 400 HP engine with peak HP at 4,000 RPM is delivering 525 ft-lbs of torque to the trans, while A 400 HP engine with peak HP at 6,000 RPM is only delivering 350 ft-lbs of torque to the trans.

I've heard a new version of the R154 might be in the Pontiac Soltice / Saturn Sky, but I have no idea if this is true.

Thanks!

BBS LMs. 6spd, Supra Internals. Twin T3 super 60s. Haltech e11 , 720cc injectors, Defi Head Up Display. KW V3. 4 Inch front mount. BC Springs, Retainers, 272s. SRT 3" exhaust. HKS 60mm wastegate. Custom 6 pot Big brake kit

404 @ 13 psi

To be installed.
Water Injection
Win racing kit... maybe..
Sentinel is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Deity
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 10,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
The only major issue I would see you running into is finding parts for such a hybrid setup. Not only will you have to find a bellhousing that will mate the tranny to the block, but you will also need to find a flywheel and clutch setup that will work.

The reason why the r154 and v160 is such a popular setup is because of the ease of work. Both of these transmission alleviates the need of getting custom parts made, i.e bellhousing.
Eminence is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Extremist
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Birmingham/Mobile Al.
Posts: 5,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
           
i've always wondered what supra owners who already have the v160 upgrade to...

1st Gen Elitist
01 Satin White IS300 Sedan w/ Sportcross conversion.
Broken, Beaten, Ugly, Riced out, and loved. Some people will never understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
Hes poor and from AL or MS or some other tragic Katrina victim state. what do you expect.
RIVALHOUSEGARAGEDOTCOM
Avernier is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Follower
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avernier View Post
i've always wondered what supra owners who already have the v160 upgrade to...
Well the V160 bone stock has proven reliable at the 1200+hp range so they only go domestic auto from there....and thats only to lower e.t aand to calm the car down

03 TCM with a 67mm and 6 forward gears....

Tuning is not a crime but spelling it tunning should be!
t-67IS is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Extremist
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Birmingham/Mobile Al.
Posts: 5,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-67IS View Post
Well the V160 bone stock has proven reliable at the 1200+hp range so they only go domestic auto from there....and thats only to lower e.t aand to calm the car down
thats what i figured....

1st Gen Elitist
01 Satin White IS300 Sedan w/ Sportcross conversion.
Broken, Beaten, Ugly, Riced out, and loved. Some people will never understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
Hes poor and from AL or MS or some other tragic Katrina victim state. what do you expect.
RIVALHOUSEGARAGEDOTCOM
Avernier is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
           
Well, that sounds great and all but thats very costly.
Nyke is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 06:50 AM
Follower
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: northeast PA
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
If you look at car-part.com, they go for under $2000 and under 20k miles.
01silveraltezza is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Virgin Magnet
 
somguy2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
           
my friend has an x-runner and his trans went bad in 2 years, the truck was unmodified.

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
somguy2u is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 12:36 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: CA to AZ and Back Back
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
 
What up fellas,reviving some old threads cuz I am a very hyped owner of a manual IS and getting pretty close to swapping out for the GTE power plant!
Can you help me out on how to identify a W55 for a R154? This is my first manual IS build and I feel like the gears are long and tranny shifts like a truck lol which I've read the R154 feels that way... Crossing my fingers that the previous owner did me a huge favor by doing so ha! If not, I've done some reading and the AR5 does fit with very few affordable mods but haven't found anything that the AY6 fits for sure with the same result. I really want to go with the AY6 if possible!!!
Can anyone help me out?!
$$Dinero$$ is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 12:43 PM
Follower
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
           
V160 & V161 cannot be purchased new anymore (unless it's from a private seller)

AR5 (w/o interim design change, which is the one IS owners need) cannot be purchased new anymore (unless it's from a private seller)

However, there are plenty of low mileage AR5 transmissions out there if you look. AR5 is essentially a "newer" R154. Why you'd want to complicate your life by going AY6 over AR5 is beyond me...
Ek9B18 likes this.

2004 CWP IS300
AR5
dcharms is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 12:33 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: CA to AZ and Back Back
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharms View Post
V160 & V161 cannot be purchased new anymore (unless it's from a private seller)

AR5 (w/o interim design change, which is the one IS owners need) cannot be purchased new anymore (unless it's from a private seller)

However, there are plenty of low mileage AR5 transmissions out there if you look. AR5 is essentially a "newer" R154. Why you'd want to complicate your life by going AY6 over AR5 is beyond me...
Ya I here ya ... I'm always looking for the biggest bang for my buck and don't find the logic to place a trans (V161) on my car that's worth more than the actual car itself lol!!! Especially with a baby on the way and baby mama that I'd have to hide that kind of spending from lmao! Seems like the AY6 might possibly more logical that it being the closest thing to the V family (as far as gear ratio) and handle more torque than the AR5.
I also like the fact that it's application is used with larger displacement engines than the 2J and that it is a 6spd of course!
$$Dinero$$ is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 05:48 AM
Extremist
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,265
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Seems like the AY6 might possibly more logical that it being the closest thing to the V family (as far as gear ratio) and handle more torque than the AR5.
The AY actually looks like a Japanese interpretation of the V160. It doesn't have the V160's power capacity.





The AY-6 looks interesting but you'd have to buy one and then try to fit a 2JZ compatible bell housing to it. It's not clear if an R154 bell will fit like it does on the AR-5. Also you'd have to go with a completely custom shifter. This shifter looks closer to the V160 shifter than to a native one used on an IS.

AY-6's are kinda expensive too, even used.

I'm not convinced they'll take more power than the AR-5 though. Spec wise they look pretty close.

How much do you plan on spending? A manual swap is probably going to cost you $3k or more by the time it's all said and done. It would probably be cheaper to sell your car and just buy a manual IS.


Apparently the RA60 from the newe Taco's uses a variant of the AY-6 called the RA60. Same issue with the bell housing though.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old/...a/03200510.pdf

It looks to me like the front main bearing is built into the bell housing which suggests you're SOL trying to find a bell that fits the 2JZ.
Ek9B18 is online now  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 08:09 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: CA to AZ and Back Back
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
 
The AY-6 looks interesting but you'd have to buy one and then try to fit a 2JZ compatible bell housing to it. It's not clear if an R154 bell will fit like it does on the AR-5. Also you'd have to go with a completely custom shifter. This shifter looks closer to the V160 shifter than to a native one used on an IS.

AY-6's are kinda expensive too, even used.

I'm not convinced they'll take more power than the AR-5 though. Spec wise they look pretty close.

How much do you plan on spending? A manual swap is probably going to cost you $3k or more by the time it's all said and done. It would probably be cheaper to sell your car and just buy a manual IS.


Apparently the RA60 from the newe Taco's uses a variant of the AY-6 called the RA60. Same issue with the bell housing though.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old/...a/03200510.pdf

It looks to me like the front main bearing is built into the bell housing which suggests you're SOL trying to find a bell that fits the 2JZ.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
The AY actually looks like a Japanese interpretation of the V160. It doesn't have the V160's power capacity.





The AY-6 looks interesting but you'd have to buy one and then try to fit a 2JZ compatible bell housing to it. It's not clear if an R154 bell will fit like it does on the AR-5. Also you'd have to go with a completely custom shifter. This shifter looks closer to the V160 shifter than to a native one used on an IS.

AY-6's are kinda expensive too, even used.

I'm not convinced they'll take more power than the AR-5 though. Spec wise they look pretty close.

How much do you plan on spending? A manual swap is probably going to cost you $3k or more by the time it's all said and done. It would probably be cheaper to sell your car and just buy a manual IS.


Apparently the RA60 from the newe Taco's uses a variant of the AY-6 called the RA60. Same issue with the bell housing though.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old/...a/03200510.pdf

It looks to me like the front main bearing is built into the bell housing which suggests you're SOL trying to find a bell that fits the 2JZ.
My first IS was auto and original plan upon purchasing it was the manual conversion but thought the same thing and flipped it and found a 02 manual... Has some mileage but it was the perfect foundation for my project build and I could justify the GTE and trans swap to the baby mama HA!
I'm selling my GE swap and trans but since it is my current daily, I haven't tore into it yet and I'm hoping the previous owner swapped the weak ass W55 to begin with.
I really appreciate the info tho and if the AY is affordable and possible, I'm goin to take that leap into the unknown ha!
If there's anything you find, keep me posted bro and I'll do the same...
Couple more questions for ya...
When I do swap out for the GTE, is there a jumper harness that someone makes by now so I don't hack up any wires and if I do find a swap and it's an auto swap (like most of them are) would I need to find a manual ECU, can I run the auto ECU or would it be better just to chip my factory one I'm running currently??!
$$Dinero$$ is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 09:37 AM
Extremist
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,265
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
           
Quote:
I really appreciate the info tho and if the AY is affordable and possible, I'm goin to take that leap into the unknown ha!
You clearly didn't read or perhaps understand what I wrote. I'd say the AY is a non-starter because of the bellhousing problem. You'd have to cut off the old bell and somehow weld it to a 2JZ compatible bell to make this work.

Quote:
When I do swap out for the GTE, is there a jumper harness that someone makes by now so I don't hack up any wires and if I do find a swap and it's an auto swap (like most of them are) would I need to find a manual ECU, can I run the auto ECU or would it be better just to chip my factory one I'm running currently??!
Not my area. I installed a V8. I'd do LS swap before I did a GTE.
Ek9B18 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome