With Obama elected, will the auto industry see any changes? - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Deity

Roundtable Panelist
-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member
With Obama elected, will the auto industry see any changes?

Quote:
I have to tell you from the beginning that I am definitely not an expert in politics or economics, so everything I will say next is based on my personal opinion and ideas. Now, with the disclaimer out of the way, I would like to congratulate our new president, Barack Obama.

The reason I started this topic is related to the multiple comments that I have seen on this blog for the past months, comments that somehow connected the auto industry crisis with the upcoming election and the uncertainty of what the future might bring, in terms of who will lead the country through one of its toughest times.

Many of you believe that the cut-backs, layoffs and earnings are related to the uncertainty that sets over the country in the months before every election. Many believed that the BMWs future plans rely on who will run the country for the next four years and BMWNAs CEO, Jim ODonnell confirmed that in an interview back in September:

Quote:
[the 4 cylinder turbo engine] will deliver stronger performance in terms of acceleration than the current 6-cylinder, it will deliver lower emissions and will give you better fuel economy; so it is a win, win, win situation. This will be a high tech 4-cylinder engine; obviously turbo charged. We cant really confirm or deny when it is going to come into the US, or if it is going to come into the US, until after the election and the government makes it clear what is going to be the platform that manufacturers have got to work to.

Before I will turn this over to you, I would like to expose my point of view. I do believe that up to a certain level, BMW and other car manufacturers were indeed waiting for the election to be over before committing to any future plans. I believe that the Europe car makers are hoping that a shift in the internal and external U.S politics will bring more prosperity and opportunities down the road.

I would love to see quickly if the new president will continue to support the fuel efficiency programs and U.S becoming less dependent on foreign oil.

With Obama elected, will the auto industry see any changes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2008, 08:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fiend

ISHype. is an elite community memberISHype. is an elite community memberISHype. is an elite community memberISHype. is an elite community memberISHype. is an elite community memberISHype. is an elite community memberISHype. is an elite community memberISHype. is an elite community memberISHype. is an elite community memberISHype. is an elite community memberISHype. is an elite community member
More cadillacs? lol.

nr intended.

|02 Black Onyx.|

Hi, I ride on stock suspension cause I hate nyc.
ISHype. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fiend

EricG is an elite community memberEricG is an elite community memberEricG is an elite community memberEricG is an elite community memberEricG is an elite community memberEricG is an elite community memberEricG is an elite community memberEricG is an elite community memberEricG is an elite community memberEricG is an elite community memberEricG is an elite community member
That's one of the few thungs I actually feared about the guy, just how deep will he jump into the whole global warming thing? I mean before he got into the big political game he bought and drove a Chrysler 300C, so the guy obviously likes big cars with powerful engines.

The democratic party as a whole is a little over the top on climate change, and is completely in the dark about how to solve it/change things other than they seem convinced that's it's only cars. Hello...cars/trucks/semis only account for 20% of the global carbon dioxide emissions, even if you somehow cut that in half you still have the other 90% of what you started with. I've never understood why they haven't targeted homes and infrastructure for re-building our nation's energy plan...things that will be around a lot longer than the next car you buy...instead of possibly enforcing reform on the auto industry which is actually getting really good at what they do with the internal combustion engine.

And, if they took every car older than 20 years old off the road - except for classics which see limited miles - there would be a lot more efficiency right there.

Eric
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

yota is an elite community memberyota is an elite community memberyota is an elite community memberyota is an elite community memberyota is an elite community memberyota is an elite community memberyota is an elite community memberyota is an elite community memberyota is an elite community memberyota is an elite community memberyota is an elite community member
Flying cars that run on water by 2010! Yes we can, yes we can!
yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Altruist

Pawel is an elite community memberPawel is an elite community memberPawel is an elite community memberPawel is an elite community memberPawel is an elite community memberPawel is an elite community memberPawel is an elite community memberPawel is an elite community memberPawel is an elite community memberPawel is an elite community memberPawel is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota View Post
Flying cars that run on water by 2010! Yes we can, yes we can!
Dude stop spreading false rummors, that's 2012 to be exact.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Immortal

Roundtable Panelist 2006 ToyDrive Participant
magoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community member
Both candidates supported nearly identical plans for the EPA.

They both would have approved the California v. EPA lawsuit, giving California even higher standards for emissions.

It didn't matter who won.
I would give Denard a blowjob while I wear my #16 Michigan jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm__ View Post
maybe your the one that's stupid. It's spelt "Canada", not "canadia"
magoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-07-2008, 12:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Addict

destron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community member
All govt cars will now be hybrids minus police vehicles.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Guru

Roundtable Panelist
BUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community member
I expect the domestic industry would get money to develop green cars, not necessarily a bad thing since GM and Ford NEED greener models that would work in the US

For example:

Boston and NYC are making cab companies go for green cabs. Except the Escape hybrid the other options are Japanese. (In Boston i saw Camry hybrid cabs, which are not bad but the legroom is horrible since the partition took out half the space) If new cab-specific models can be developed it goes a long way to boost domestic autos just through fleet sales alone.

Domestic cars need to be designed better. Customers are clearly more sophisticated. They care everything from how a car looks to how a car feels. The CTS is a good sign that the American car industry is not dead... yet. But bad plastics, bad design cannot be overcome by heated cup holders. Customers are buyign japanese because they buy better quality with the same money. They are also buying a reliable brand that speaks to their needs. Now that the Japanese are building most of their US models in the US, the American companies can no longer wrap themselves with a flag like they did in the 70s and 80s.

CA rules need to be phased in slower than the current rate. If industry cannot catch up we will end up losing the industry altogether. Diesels SHOULD stop being the enemy. Clean diesels are proven to be possible and they should be embraced instead of shunned (which CA is very active in doing).

"Oh please! Its right up there with 'He's not gay, he is in a fraternity'"
BUD001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-07-2008, 03:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Deity

Poker Tournament Player
the wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community member
Donks will be standard issue.

Since when does the president design cars?
Old 11-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Immortal

magoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community membermagoo is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by the wrong tone View Post
Donks will be standard issue.

Since when does the president design cars?
Obama does everything. Where have you been for the last five months?
Quote:
Old 11-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Guru

Roundtable Panelist
BUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community member
I thought the president would have input about his limo. Bush dumped Clinton's Caddy for his current monstrosity. Although given the curent economic conditions it is unlikely Obama would want to commission a new limo.

"Oh please! Its right up there with 'He's not gay, he is in a fraternity'"
BUD001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Deity

Poker Tournament Player
the wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Obama does everything. Where have you been for the last five months?
Oh, I already forgot.

Rebuild and redesign the current auto industry...yes, we can!
Old 11-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD001 View Post
I thought the president would have input about his limo. Bush dumped Clinton's Caddy for his current monstrosity. Although given the curent economic conditions it is unlikely Obama would want to commission a new limo.
It was an old design, no?

The limos are donated to SS training after their commission is up. Caddy wanted the new jiggy limo in the public eye!
Quote:
Old 11-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
\/ Awesome \/

my.IS Supporter Roundtable Panelist
ItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community member
Soon CA will not have cars at all because NO company will find it profitable to design a car to meet their standards.
ItalynStylion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Extremist

longnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD001 View Post
Obama is getting a new limo. A brand new "truck based" Cadillac. Apparently it will look like a DTS but will be built on the GM "topkick" medium duty truck platform.

http://jalopnik.com/5082005/obama-to...sidential-limo

2002 IS300 5mt. MSM stock for now
Cobra Project:
FFR MKIII '65 Cobra Replicar - 427 cid V-8 (thats 7.0 liters) engine 525hp/520lb-ft torque at the flywheel (and this is in a 2200 pound car) Painted Lexus Spectra Blue Mica with GM Arctic White stripes -- now street legal
longnights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)