BMW cutting V8 engine production to focus on four-cylinders engines(Now Confirmed) - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 06:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Deity

Roundtable Panelist
-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member
BMW cutting V8 engine production to focus on four-cylinders engines(Now Confirmed)

Quote:
As expected and rumored for quite some time now, BMW is looking to cut their large displacement engines production and focus on smaller, more efficient ones. The first engine to see a decrease in the production numbers, is the famous V8 engine, used in BMWs high-end models, like the 550i, 750Li or the new M3.

According to the BMWs Union boss Manfred Schoch, based on the current demand for the V8 engine, a single shift operation working only four days week, could fulfill this demand. The V10 and V12 engines seem to be less popular as well and they might share the same faith in the near future.

In the same interview with Automotive News, Herr Schoch confirmed the high demand for the four-cylinder engines. Back in April, one of our articles received a lot of criticism, an article in which we talked about BMWs plans to build four-cylinder twin turbo engines and even a quad-turbo four cylinders. We heard that the new engines will be exclusive for the 1 Series to start, but may go to a 3 coupe, but not the sedan. Release date of 2010 is what we heard they are shooting for. Parts and pieces (suppliers) were being scouted at that time, so that means that the engine is way deep into the development or even testing phase.

Quote:
Well, once again, it has been confirmed, there will be indeed twin-turbo and quad-turbo four cylinder engines.
Smart move by BMW? Would you rather see a large V8 engine in your
car?
BMW cutting V8 engine production to focus on four-cylinders engines

Some more Info:

Quote:
BMW has been forced to cut production of its large displacement engines in the wake of sluggish world demand. Despite the luxury segment usually remaining fairly resilient to environmental concerns and rising fuel costs, BMW hasnt produced its V8 engines at full capacity for the past year and demand is expected to fall further.

The same story can be told for its high-performance V10 and V12 engines, according to the carmakers union boss Manfred Schoch. Speaking with Automotive News, Schoch explained that current world demand for BMWs V8 engines could be produced with a one-shift operation running just four days a week.

On the other hand, the carmaker is struggling to meet demand for its four-cylinder engines and is even considering phasing out production of its six-cylinder engines at its main Munich plant as well. This would allow BMW to build up to 500,000 four-cylinder engines a year, Schoch explained.
Motor Authority BMW cutting V8 production in favor of four-cylinders
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 09-10-2008 at 11:32 PM.
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Guru

2005 ToyDrive Participant 2006 ToyDrive Participant
crazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community member
turbo 4 instead of a 6? nawww
no car.
crazeazn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 09-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Addict

xsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community member
Is this going to increase the MSRP of the M3 even further above the 2008 to 2009 change? They've already announced a decrease in M3 production, now they're cutting production of the V8s in general?

DINAN Silverstone II E92 M3 w/ DCT
Jet Black E92 M3 w/ DCT (Gone)
xsilvor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Addict

Don-Corleone is an elite community memberDon-Corleone is an elite community memberDon-Corleone is an elite community memberDon-Corleone is an elite community memberDon-Corleone is an elite community memberDon-Corleone is an elite community memberDon-Corleone is an elite community memberDon-Corleone is an elite community memberDon-Corleone is an elite community memberDon-Corleone is an elite community memberDon-Corleone is an elite community member
I guess I am glad we got a 550i with Dinan 360+ hp last week at a killer price fully loaded !

Don-
Old 09-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Guru

Roundtable Panelist
BUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community memberBUD001 is an elite community member
Turboed small engines makes sense, but i dont see BMW cutting the 6 or the 8s altogether. The new M5 would go back to v8, probably turboed. The V12 might go away in favor of the v8 as well, supercharged maybe to preserve smoothness and torque. As for the 6, that would never die. BMW built its reputation on straight 6s and i cannot imagine it would run away from tradition that easily.

"Oh please! Its right up there with 'He's not gay, he is in a fraternity'"
BUD001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 09-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Addict

xsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community memberxsilvor is an elite community member
The V12 is only in the 660Li, right?

Old 09-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Guru

2005 ToyDrive Participant 2006 ToyDrive Participant
crazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community membercrazeazn is an elite community member
760Li
no car.
crazeazn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 09-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Loyalist

CassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD001 View Post
As for the 6, that would never die. BMW built its reputation on straight 6s and i cannot imagine it would run away from tradition that easily.
^Agreed. BMW getting rid of the rather sublime I6 would be insane.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Guru

ckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community member
The bmwblog article implies there's reconfirmation of twin turbo fours, but I wonder if they actually heard that, or they're just reciting their own April article? The wording is unclear, so I'm guessing BMW didn't actually confirm turbos.
ckolsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 09-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeazn View Post
760Li
Sorry, meant 7.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Deity

Roundtable Panelist
-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member-=Hot|Ice=- is an elite community member
From Edmunds:

Quote:
MUNICH, Germany While VW-Audi has shown its U.S. interest with a brand-new plant going up in Tennessee, and Mercedes has the upper ground on all German premiums with its clear diesel initiative in North America, BMW North America's bold statement has not yet come. The company could use a big, mind-grabbing statement to bolster its profit base, and the smaller 1 Series introduction may not have the impact it is looking for in the U.S. market. Enter the idea of a four-cylinder engine for the 3 Series.

In part to counter Mercedes' recent decision to bring four-cylinder diesel engines into the North American lineup during 2010, BMW is believed to be close to committing to a four-cylinder gasoline engine strategy for the latest 3 Series (and certainly the 1 Series) in the U.S. and Canada.

In Europe, the 167-horsepower 320i is a healthy volume seller, as is the 120i, and BMW project director Oliver Friedmann tells Inside Line that such an addition to the company's North American offerings "would have a desirable effect on many fronts."

The direct-injection four-cylinder gas BMWs are, by many accounts, the best models sold by the company. And the fuel consumption numbers speak volumes.

Regarding the chance of also bringing over the company's outstanding 123d or 320d four-cylinder turbodiesels, Friedmann and others say that North America isn't quite ready yet for four-cylinder diesel Bimmers, particularly not the 3 Series customer.
BMW May Bring North America a Four-Cylinder 3 Series

Now, Nothing is said about them being turbo charged.
Quote:
Old 09-04-2008, 09:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Loyalist

CassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community memberCassiesMan is an elite community member
Hmmm...

I'm going to have to side with Farago about this. I think, in Europe, yes, the four cylinder motors are a great option, especially with the diesels. However, I don't think that will do anything here in America save hurt the brand image. The majority of Americans in the market for a luxury car aren't going to accept a four cylinder motor as an option, so I can see maybe a few of the four bangers coming off lots, but most of them just sitting there gathering dust, or filling up the courtesy car fleets at the dealerships.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly the impact they were expecting to make with the 1er was. A 135i costs marginally less than a 335i, isn't all that much smaller, and to me doesn't seem like the best deal you can get. Its a nifty set up, yes, and I'm not saying I would turn one down, but I just don't think BMW priced them right. A fully loaded 135i should cost less than 40k for it to make the impact that they were looking for. If I could get a stripped down model of the 135i for 32-33k, then you see the impact they wanted to make with it. Based on nothing more than annecdotal evidence, the 128i is looking like a flop, as every 1er I've seen has been a 135i. It makes sense, too, seeing that a nicely optioned 128i isn't that much less than a 135i.

Taking on the diesels is going to be an interesting campaign to watch. Between the price of diesel right now, and the still slowly changing attitude that equates all diesel in the US with trucks, it will be an uphill battle. I'm just wishing they'd hit us with that 135i hatch. Now that is a nice little 1er that I would rock as a DD if I ever pick up a project car.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Deity

Roundtable Panelist
Quote:
Four-cylinder BMWs are commonplace in Europe, but here in the States you can't buy anything Bavarian with less than six pistons. Inside Line is reporting that the German automaker may change that by adding the direct-injected 2.0L four-pot from Europe to the 3-Series. The 170-hp engine powers the 320i and 120i across the pond. The models are well-received there, and for good reason, too. The ultra-efficient powerplant averages over 38 mpg in the European combined test cycle while still providing the razor-sharp handling that is BMW's trademark.

BMW project director Oliver Friedmann said that a four-cylinder petrol Bimmer would have a "desirable effect" here in the U.S., but didn't commit any concrete plans for a U.S. four-banger. He did say that the U.S. probably isn't ready for a diesel four-cylinder, but we beg to differ. Our friends at AutoblogGreen had a blast in the twin-turbo 123d and managed 37 mpg while thoroughly testing the oil-burner's limits. We think the petrol 2.0L would be well received as well. While four-cylinder luxury cars were taboo just a few years ago, high fuel prices have given Americans plenty of motivation to welcome a 2.0L Bimmer with open arms.
c

Rumormill: BMW considering four-cylinder 3-series for U.S. - Autoblog
Quote:
Old 09-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Guru

ckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community memberckolsen is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiesMan View Post
Hmmm...

I'm going to have to side with Farago about this. I think, in Europe, yes, the four cylinder motors are a great option, especially with the diesels. However, I don't think that will do anything here in America save hurt the brand image. The majority of Americans in the market for a luxury car aren't going to accept a four cylinder motor as an option, so I can see maybe a few of the four bangers coming off lots, but most of them just sitting there gathering dust, or filling up the courtesy car fleets at the dealerships.
July was a 16 year low for US car sales. Anything big is getting killed, the only vehicles selling well are the Focus, Mini, Yaris, Fit etc. All small four cylinders.

Small and fuel economy are now fashionable, and BMW is all about fashion these days.
ckolsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 09-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Deity

Roundtable Panelist
Quote:
Jim O’Donnell (BMWNA CEO) has officially confirmed in an interview with Business Week that BMW is working on developing a new 4-cylinder motor.

As heard in the interview: “It will deliver stronger performance in terms of acceleration than the current 6-cylinder, it will deliver lower emissions and will give you better fuel economy; so it is a win, win, win situation. This will be a high tech 4-cylinder engine; obviously turbo charged. We can’t really confirm or deny when it is going to come into the US, if it is going to come into the US until after the election and the government makes it clear what is going to be the platform that manufacturers have got to work to.”

What he is basically saying is that future US policy will dictate whether or not we see these motors. I have a tough time swallowing that personally since that means BMW is not thinking about how to become more efficient for the right reasons but rather to meet requirements of the government. I thought I just read something about sustainability? If what he says is true about the performance, efficiency and emissions why would the US not see this motor?

I apologize for turning this into an opinion piece as that was not the original intention. As I listened to this interview numerous times to make sure I quoted it correctly the more I realized what he was saying; BMW is developing this great motor but we will only see it if a certain president is elected and certain policies are implemented. That is not saying we will not see this motor ever but that it may be fast tracked and we see it sooner than later, which is a great thing for countless reasons. The only down side I see is that the current 6 cylinder (N52) life-cycle is cut by a few years.

It is also possible that he may be referring to other programs which may require cars to have hybrid technology or something to that in which case this motor would not meet those requirements. At this point it is a waiting game but we do know that these things really do exist and hopefully we will see them soon in cars weighing in a bit less. What do you think?

You can watch the full interview here and read up on the new 7 as well (which we have covered extensively in the past).
BimmerFile Archive Confirmed: New 4 Cylinder in Development
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)