Stock Radio + Ipod connection + Amp/Sub wiring help! - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Mobiletronics
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2009, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lurker

Gunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community member
Stock Radio + Ipod connection + Amp/Sub wiring help!

So I recently got an IS300, and really want to make a hookup for my Ipod, and connect my massive amp/sub in the simplest fashion possible. I would like to keep the stock head unit because I feel it really makes the car look good, so this was what i was thinking; Do the Ipod installation, and then split the RCA wires that are going from the Ipod to the head unit, and send it back to the amp in the trunk. Will this work? and if so, what should i use for a remote trigger? I would like it to be able to be flipped on and off with a switch of some kind, because sometimes I'd rather not have the subwoofer on(such as at the drive in), because it drains the batter very fast. Maybe the cruise button?

I was also thinking that it may be possible to split the wires from the back speakers that are already in the trunk, but am totally unsure how to go about that.

I've seen a few other posts similar to this, but would really like some feedback on this exact situation. If this has already been answered, please forgive my retardedness and leave me a link, rather than a flame , thanks!
Gunlex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2009, 01:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Follower

3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member
ok here is what i did. i have the exact setup you were asking about.
parts needed:
Vais Technology ipod/aux adapter(ebay <$100)
Modified oem amp with sub output(my.is member <$65)
Ipod
Subwoofer and amp setup(cap optional)
4gauge rockford amp kit
piece of wood or plastic to make vanity cover for ipod
modified amp with rca output

you hook the vais unit to the cd changer port on the back of the stock radio. at that point your stock headunit acts the same, but if you hit Disc and extra time it flips to your ipod and you can either go simple mode(you control your ipod menu) or you go into advanced mode(your deck controlls yours ipod)

the next part is getting a good solid subwoofer output to your amp and sub combo. there are many who swear by the line converter that you hook to the low end side of your rear speakers. for me, i wanted a cleaner signal so i did some research and found a member that ads rca full frequency outputs to the stock amp. at that point i ran my 4gauge power wire and amp turn on lead down the drivers side. and i ran my rca signal line down the passenger side. my amp has a bass controll knob. so i ran the wires from the sub amp up the passenger side and into the area of the center console. i mounted the control onder my Trac Off button for easy control of the subwoofer level.

the last part is upto you. but i removed the center console top (where the ash tray is) i removed the ash tray area and under there was a 1/4" hole. i enlarged that hole just enough to fit the ipod dock connector through. i hooked up the ipod to it, and the ipod sits nicely down in that ash tray spot without blocking any heated seat buttons. i created a temporary vanity cover for the ipod to cover the gap left in the top of the console where the ask tray door would have been.

i get very clean sound out of this configuration.
2002 IS300 IntensaBluePearl LSD | Apexi N1 exhaust | Megan Racing Ypipe | Vais Tech. Ipod Adapter | SRT Intake and aafc | Luminics krypton 9005 yellow highbeam | Alpine SWR-10d2 x2 | RF 1000w Amp w/bass control | RF 4 Gauge Pwr/Gnd | RF 1 Farad Cap | Garmin 7200 | Drag dr19 wheels | Falken Tires | SD Grill | Injen Header Shield | Painted Headlights and Fogs |
3rdelement is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-26-2009, 01:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lurker

Gunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community memberGunlex is an elite community member
Ah sweet, that amp thing would be exactly what I need. Can you refer me to who it is that sells it? Do you think he would bring the price down if I sent him my own deck amp?

Also, I can't seem to find the ipod aux thingy on ebay, the only one I found was this:

2001/2002/2003/2004 Lexus IS300 iPod/iPhone Adapter :eBay Motors (item 140320008614 end time Aug-08-09 15:49:13 PDT)

And will this still allow me to use the 6 disk CD changer functionality?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Follower

3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member3rdelement is an elite community member
keep checking ebay, craigslist, for sale section....or just buy directly from them for $200-$250.

the amp price is the price if you ship them theirs.

and yes you keep all the same funtionality of the 6 disc changer. the only difference is that if you hit disc again you get the aux in option, and if you hit it again you get the ipod control from the deck, and hit it once more and you are back to the stock 6 cd changer.
2002 IS300 IntensaBluePearl LSD | Apexi N1 exhaust | Megan Racing Ypipe | Vais Tech. Ipod Adapter | SRT Intake and aafc | Luminics krypton 9005 yellow highbeam | Alpine SWR-10d2 x2 | RF 1000w Amp w/bass control | RF 4 Gauge Pwr/Gnd | RF 1 Farad Cap | Garmin 7200 | Drag dr19 wheels | Falken Tires | SD Grill | Injen Header Shield | Painted Headlights and Fogs |
Old 07-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lurker

Are there any similar products that I could use that are cheaper?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Follower

you get what you pay for. you could get the grom unit that is mentioned in this section. but it seems like more and more people keep having issues with it. just keep checking the forums and ebay for a used one. thats what i did. and i saved a bundle.

i guess if you want a cheaper option you might find a deal on an aftermarket deck and also a metra harness, but then you loose the oem look of the dash.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lurker

The only issue I'm seeing is the remote on/off line, where will that connect?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Follower

for the amp? or for the vais?

the sub amp i found a remote turn on with a voltmeter on the wire harness that goes from the stock head unit to the stock amp.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

2thou2is.300 is a community leader2thou2is.300 is a community leader2thou2is.300 is a community leader2thou2is.300 is a community leader2thou2is.300 is a community leader2thou2is.300 is a community leader2thou2is.300 is a community leader2thou2is.300 is a community leader2thou2is.300 is a community leader2thou2is.300 is a community leader2thou2is.300 is a community leader
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdelement View Post
ok here is what i did. i have the exact setup you were asking about.
parts needed:
Vais Technology ipod/aux adapter(ebay <$100)
Modified oem amp with sub output(my.is member <$65)
Ipod
Subwoofer and amp setup(cap optional)
4gauge rockford amp kit
piece of wood or plastic to make vanity cover for ipod
modified amp with rca output

you hook the vais unit to the cd changer port on the back of the stock radio. at that point your stock headunit acts the same, but if you hit Disc and extra time it flips to your ipod and you can either go simple mode(you control your ipod menu) or you go into advanced mode(your deck controlls yours ipod)

the next part is getting a good solid subwoofer output to your amp and sub combo. there are many who swear by the line converter that you hook to the low end side of your rear speakers. for me, i wanted a cleaner signal so i did some research and found a member that ads rca full frequency outputs to the stock amp. at that point i ran my 4gauge power wire and amp turn on lead down the drivers side. and i ran my rca signal line down the passenger side. my amp has a bass controll knob. so i ran the wires from the sub amp up the passenger side and into the area of the center console. i mounted the control onder my Trac Off button for easy control of the subwoofer level.

the last part is upto you. but i removed the center console top (where the ash tray is) i removed the ash tray area and under there was a 1/4" hole. i enlarged that hole just enough to fit the ipod dock connector through. i hooked up the ipod to it, and the ipod sits nicely down in that ash tray spot without blocking any heated seat buttons. i created a temporary vanity cover for the ipod to cover the gap left in the top of the console where the ask tray door would have been.

i get very clean sound out of this configuration.
I am planning to do the same as you, but I am having the hardest time finding the easiest way to get the stock amp out to mod it. I have searched and searched on here, and have also pulled off the kick panel and opened the glove box to see the amp, but need some help with what to remove and how. Pulling apart the entire passenger side of the console and glove box seems overrated. lol. Got any tips or instructions?

Thanks
-FS:Driver side chrome tail light-
-WTB:Locking Diff-
2thou2is.300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Frequenter

thatoneguy is an elite community memberthatoneguy is an elite community memberthatoneguy is an elite community memberthatoneguy is an elite community memberthatoneguy is an elite community memberthatoneguy is an elite community memberthatoneguy is an elite community memberthatoneguy is an elite community memberthatoneguy is an elite community memberthatoneguy is an elite community memberthatoneguy is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunlex View Post
The only issue I'm seeing is the remote on/off line, where will that connect?

the brown (i believe) on the radio wiring harness is the one i used for remote. Take a test light and turn the car on. whichever has power when the car is turned on is your power wire.
thatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-19-2009, 03:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

KJJIS is an unknown at this point
Modified oem amp with sub output

Can anyone tell me how to get a hold of the modified oem amp with sub output?
KJJIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Mobiletronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)